Some Quips for the Weekend | Golden Skate

Some Quips for the Weekend

I'm sure your e-mails are bombarded with trivia from well meaning friends. Here are a few quips I received recently which you may or may not have aleady read.

Do you have any to share"

1. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

2. There is a very fine line betwen 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.

3. No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.

4. When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often that individual is crazy.

5. The most powerful force in the universe is gossip.

6. You will never find anyone who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight savings time.

7. There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about your birthday.

8. A person who is nice to you,but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person. (Pay attention to that. It never fails!)

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Words to live by, Joe..........I especially like Number 1......:) 42

Sadie

On the Ice
..... A person who is nice to you,but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person. (Pay attention to that. It never fails!)....

That is SO true, unfortunately

Some of these could apply especially to figure skating fans.

2. There is a very fine line betwen 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.

3. No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.

5. The most powerful force in the universe is gossip.

Mathman

4dogknight

Final Flight
I've always been fond of:

"He who and if the show fits wear it."

It encompasses so many emotions and situations.

4dk

Last edited:
On tours and business trips, when you're dining with business colleagues, #8 about being rude to the waiter is a never-fail giveaway about personality. Also note people who always send the food back. Not rude, but definitely neurotic.

Great list Joe! Here are some of my favorite Mark Twainisms:

--Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. (Notice that Hugh Hefner has never been photographed nude for his own magazine, lol.)

--Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed.

--The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

--Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.

--The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

Rgirl

mpal2

Final Flight
I had to laugh at the Daylight Savings. I grew up in Indiana which does not follow DST (except for one corner with a lot of commuters to Chicago). Our tv programs changed times, but our clocks never did. I could never figure out what was wrong with the tv stations. :confused: I thought they had some half wit in charge.

The 1st time I realized that almost the entire nation uses DST was when I went off to college. I hate DST to this day. I have a hard enough time keeping my sleeping patterns stable without it screwing with me.

I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona, which also doesn't follow DST. If we had, in the summers, the sun would not have gone down until about 10pm. People would joke about having barbecues at midnight. Seriously, it would have extended the daylight and the HEAT in the summers, which is the last thing people in the desert need.

I remember when DST started that there was some kind of argument that it would save energy and money--this was during the super energy conscious late-60s, IIRC. But Joe's quip is right. When you really start to analyze it, you run into problems anyway you cut it. Why don't we just let the sun and the Roman calendar decide the day? It seemed to work well enough for several thousand years.
Rgirl