Palin's resignation | Golden Skate

Palin's resignation

bronxgirl

Medalist
I know this is a few days after her announcement, but geeze! it doesn't seem fair to the citizens of Alaska for her to quit her job mid term. Whether she chose to do it in order to make more money writing books or a talk show, or to plan to run for President in 2012, she was elected by Alaskans to do a job for them first! -JMHO, wondering what others are thinking...

jennylovskt

Medalist
For the best of this country, and the best of her family, I hope she could disappear from political scenes all together and forever. But it seems that she has some ambitions.

She's now a national figure, but Alaska is far, far away from anywhere else she might want to go (for example, to support Republican candidates or to address conferences - you know, the sort of thing top politicians do all the time). It takes time, and every time she does it, someone at home slaps her with an ethics violation charge. She's spending so much time and money (state time, her money) defending herself (and so far she's been cleared in 15 of 15 cases) that she can't get anything done.

So... she's outta there.

It's sad and disappointing, and I personally wish she'd stay to finish her term, but I can understand not wanting to waste almost two years and over $500,000 of her own money.

For those who are happy to get rid of her - don't count on it!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
she hasn't been able to do her job since running for VP anyway. I do feel cheated, but I've felt that way since she became the GOP's walking talking Barbie doll. She trusted the wrong people, they bit her bad after the election was over (that John McCain blamed HER PERSONALLY for his poorly run campaign pissed me off to no end. HE ran a crap of a campaign, pure and simple).

The media's been relentless... outside groups are suing her butt left and right (over the dumbest things... apparently Sarah can't be a mom and include her kids on trips, but Tony Knowles could do that as a Governor dad... whatev)

that being said I've not been happy with post-election Palin. She's just jumping through hoops, that's not the girl we all know and love up here... but I wish her all the best. I adore Sean Parnell and so I don't feel it's completely unfair. He's more than ready to take the step up.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, thanks for your thoughts on Ms. Palin. I sit and listen to her talk and afterwards, I go.........huh.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Toni, thanks for your thoughts on Ms. Palin. I sit and listen to her talk and afterwards, I go.........huh.

Actually, I heard that she looked out her back window yesterday and saw President Obama. I was confused for a second - then remembered the Prez was in Russia. So of course she could see him. ;)

I am not a fan - but to be honest for all I know she might have been a good govenor until so many distractions started coming at her from all directions.
Without a doubt she was picked by McCain's people, used and then discarded.
Perhaps she was not quite ready for the national stage but few are on such short notice. I think she has been treated unfairly but also think some of the things that came out of her mouth during the campaign were untruthful, divisive and hurtful to our nation. But she is not the only politician who said things that were not true in the heat of an election.
I predict that whatever she does next is already signed, sealed and delivered. A done deal. I expect we will see her on Fox News or working for the Republican Natl Comittee making appearances for Republican candidates or possibly a talk show. There could be a big book deal in the works and she could receive a hefty hunk of change in the form of an advance. Several million dollars for sure.
She is a very compelling person and the guy I watch the most, Chris Matthews of "Hardball" thinks she has "it". That quality that can't be taught and sets you apart from so many others in your field..
I wish Gov. Palin and her family happiness and good health. I would be happy if she left politics but it is her choice and right to pursue whatever she thinks is in her best interest.
And just think if she were to vanish - what a waste of Tina Fey's great impersonations.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you have to understand Alaskan humor. she was not taking herself seriously in the "I can see Russia from my house" moment... but there IS a HUGE Russian community in Alaska... and especially in the area she lives in (not the Governor's home, but "The Valley"). Was it a bad moment for her - yes, she forgot her audience... outsiders don't have a sense of humor ;)

She would have been more effective during the presidential campaign and afterwards in her speeches if she'd been allowed to say what she wanted/felt... none of this censored speech writers do it for her... she's not Obama. She doesn't do the teleprompter thing and speak other people's words... and do it convincingly. I miss our girl...