2009-2010 Programs by Discipline | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2009-2010 Programs by Discipline

Herein, I whine about music

I love war horse pieces like Carmen, but I'm thoroughly fed up with seeing them performed on ice. Very few skaters (or their choreographers) give such music the revitalization that it needs. One of the great things to me about Sarah Hughes's SLC long program was the fact that the music was so unusual: Daphnis and Chloe, if I recall correctly. The team of Kwan and Lori Nichol were wonderful about finding fresh music to interpret. After parting with Nichol and Carroll, Kwan used a few too many perennial classical hits for me, though she was still an exquisite skater. She could turn anything into a gem for me, but sigh, why Tosca?

Some months ago, there was a thread on this forum where people suggested music for skating routines, and there were some splendid ideas. I wish today's skaters and choreographers were as adventurous as you all are. Carmen is a great French opera, but what about Thais or Cendrillon, or Lakme or The Pearl Fishers? What about Benvenuto Cellini by Berlioz, or his Romeo et Juliette? What about Ippolitov-Ivanov's Caucasian Sketches or other Russian music? And then there's chamber music, which Kwan used to such gorgeous advantage in her Black Swan routine (Dvorak's Dumky Trio). One of my favorite routines, and the music definitely inspired a new level of artistry in the skaters involved, was that great baroque march by Lully that Denkova and Staviski used in 2003 or so. Instead, we get Carmen and the Nutcracker. Ah, well.

Last edited:

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Belbin/Agosto

OD Music: "MoldovaNeska" by the Igor Moiseyev Ensemble
FD Music: Franz Schubert's "Ave Maria" performed by Sumi Jo and "Amen" by Gioachino Rossini

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Some months ago, there was a thread on this forum where people suggested music for skating routines, and there were some splendid ideas. I wish today's skaters and choreographers were as adventurous as you all are. Carmen is a great French opera, but what about Thais or Cendrillon, or Lakme or The Pearl Fishers? What about Benvenuto Cellini by Berlioz, or his Romeo et Juliette? What about Ippolitov-Ivanov's Caucasian Sketches or other Russian music? And then there's chamber music, which Kwan used to such gorgeous advantage in her Black Swan routine (Dvorak's Dumky Trio). One of my favorite routines, and the music definitely inspired a new level of artistry in the skaters involved, was that great baroque march by Lully that Denkova and Staviski used in 2003 or so. Instead, we get Carmen and the Nutcracker. Ah, well.

An other great French piece: Pavane by Fauré. It's perfect for a skating routine!

LeCygne

Final Flight
Belbin/Agosto

FD Music: Franz Schubert's "Ave Maria" performed by Sumi Jo and "Amen" by Gioachino Rossini

Don't know the OD music, but Ave Maria?? Not sure how I feel about that.. Depends what version I guess.. Who's Sumi Jo?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Belbin/Agosto

yay!!!!!! Last off-season I suggested Ave Maria for them, if anybody remembers. I choreograph dances for them in my head to Ave Maria. My prayers have been answered! Love it. I guess it will be somewhat like the Chopin program, which they were pretty successful with.

Hope so. I love that!

I love the Schubert setting of Ave Maria also. I think it's more suitable for a program for a couple than the Bach-Gounod setting would be. Though equally sublime, the Schubert is less rarefied and less celestial to my ears. It has more of a complex rhythm under the basic melody, too. I located Sumi Jo performing it it on YouTube, and she gives it a good tempo. She sings it in both German and Latin; intriguing.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight

Dominique

Spectator
Hi! This is my first post. Sorry if my English is strange...

Fumie changed coach and programs!

Has she really "changed" the programs?

Does anyone know what's the source of this? :
SP-Yellow River Concerto FS-Sayuri (Memoirs of Geisha)
(Sorry, I couldn't find the first poster of this information.)

I am doubtful of this information,
cos Fumie had never announced about her programs till yesterday.
Maybe it was just a false information...:confused:

mayamae_55

Rinkside
Hi! This is my first post. Sorry if my English is strange...

Has she really "changed" the programs?

Does anyone know what's the source of this? :
SP-Yellow River Concerto FS-Sayuri (Memoirs of Geisha)
(Sorry, I couldn't find the first poster of this information.)

I am doubtful of this information,
cos Fumie had never announced about her programs till yesterday.
Maybe it was just a false information...:confused:

Actually nobody seems to have had a source of this though I've been looking closely in many skating forums/ blogs in Japan. Fumie's nor Chika's (Fumie's sister) official site/blog has never mentioned about such info either. Most Japanese skating fans think it's a fake info. Sometimes crazy people give such false tips just for fun (like Miki's hip-hop Jupitar for the FS)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Very interesting move my Fumie if this is true. It is rather late in the off-season to be making these kind of moves unless many be is not planning to do the GP and peak at Nationals. i guess she really wants to make sure she gets on the olympic team, but still....very surprising.