2009-2010 Programs by Discipline | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2009-2010 Programs by Discipline

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you, Buttercup--yes, I will do the GP virtual programs. However, the video part may be rather limited due to enforcement of video rights by USFS, IN, and French Eurosport (those are the ones that have had me take down videos), and to music copyright, even when the skater presumably has rights to use the music. (I lost Kristi Yamaguchi's It's So Quiet that way. Suddenly the music was gone from the video.)

Interestingly, some other music copyright owners are happy to let you use the music, provided you put a blurb and link for viewers to download from ITunes.

And 10 movie scores is probably an exaggeration--I probably can stand more than 10, but I am no movie score fan. BTW, I define as a movie score, especially orchestral music that was specifically written for a particular movie, not pop songs that were popular on their own and were used by the movie scorer, or classical music that was used by the movie scorer, or any music that was popular on its own and was borrowed by the movie scorer. (For example, I love the South African singing in The Gods Must Be Crazy, but that was not composed by the scorer.)

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Thank you, Buttercup--yes, I will do the GP virtual programs. However, the video part may be rather limited due to enforcement of video rights by USFS, IN, and French Eurosport (those are the ones that have had me take down videos), and to music copyright, even when the skater presumably has rights to use the music. (I lost Kristi Yamaguchi's It's So Quiet that way. Suddenly the music was gone from the video.)
I've noticed that a lot of older stuff has disappeared and figured it couldn't be IN because they only go after what's relevant to them. But why would French ES block videos that aren't from their coverage? AFAIK they don't offer VOD for past seasons, so why bother? I wish someone would realize this is no way to build a fan base. The ISU and the relevant stakeholders could set up a highlight channel on Youtube instead of chasing old videos.

seniorita

Record Breaker
English Eurosport also has banned my videos, :disapp:I tried to fool it by uploading them again in some sort of montage edit..they found me again and ... banned them!:mad:

The Gods Must Be Crazy movie!!!:bow:

beep_beep

Medalist
...here we go again.

Almost all of the YT channels with figure skating I had favourited have disappeared too. :mad:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just a request - let's not get the rants going about the problems of uploading skating vids on this thread :) let's keep the cliff notes free of the drama :yes:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Harmonie Lafont / Stanislas Etzol who should get a JGP
OD : a berber dance on a song by Fairuz, the famous lebanese singer.
I didn't notice this before - it was in the post by Nmsis on FSU and is now listed here as well. Fairuz in figure skating! Wow, points for originality - that is certainly not a Russian folk rehash. Too bad they're a junior team and I won't get to see what they do with it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We may see it. A number of videos are uploaded from the JGP, and IN does not cover the JGP events, nor does Eurosport. I hope we see it!

Also the French monitoring competitions are usually uploaded, and they may appear there.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
From Passion Patinage
The no. 3 French pair, Mélodie Chataignier and Medhi Bouzzine:
SP- the soundtrack of the French movie 36 Quai des Orfèvres (Department 36); ISU bio says that's what they had last year
LP- Overcome (Maxime Rodriguez)

Also, over on FSUniverse someone reported that having seen Lysacek train his new programs, they will be to two very popular pieces of music. Which leaves me to wonder, what warhorse could possibly be left? Please don't let it be Swan Lake :biggrin:.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wouldn't be surprised if it IS Swan Lake...

....maybe he's finally decided to bring back his Grease LP ;)

If Voronov was a better skater, I would be over the moon. But since he is just Voronov, I am only pleased with his courage. (maybe he will surprise me...)
At least once, I have seen him skate beautifully. I think it was Russian nats two years ago but I'm not sure. He's had a lot of trouble with injuries. I really hope to see him in his best form again this season. :rock:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/evanlysacek/news.html#20090712

Evan's lived up to our expectations! Perhaps the most famous warhorse ever, Sherezade will be his new Freeskate.

No short program has been decided on yet. I guess Evan heard yu-na's music and watched her winning freeskate when he no idea what other pieces of music he had not used yet. I guess it will be good...love the music, no matter how old it gets.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IIRC, John Curry also used it, but not too many other men. Both Linda Fratienne and Michelle Kwan skated to it, also.

Medusa

Record Breaker
But the Zhangs have it too! :scowl:

It's such a brilliant piece of music, why do so unmusical skaters like Lysacek and the Zhangs have to use it?

merrybari

Final Flight
But the Zhangs have it too! :scowl:

It's such a brilliant piece of music, why do so unmusical skaters like Lysacek and the Zhangs have to use it?

Can't speak to the Zhangs as I'm not a fan of pairs skating so haven't paid that much attention.

As for Evan, I happen to think he IS musical, but I guess everyone has their own definition of that. Even if he has been "unmusical" in the past, and I don't think he has been, it doesn't mean he hasn't been working on that aspect of his skating. Different types of music call for a different type of presentation i.e. musicality. IMO he always connects to the music he uses, and it's fact that he's been steadily raising his PCS each season. Isn't that where musicality is reflected?

It occurs to me that many skating fans who want Evan to do something different to stretch his "style" turn around and complain when he chooses music that does just that. While this music has been used by others, he hasn't used it. How can he become "musical" - and I repeat I think he is already - if he doesn't choose music that brings that out, :scratch: whatever "that" is, which seems to be different for just about everybody?

I admire him for taking a chance each season and stepping outside of his comfort zone to re-invent his skating. To become a stronger, smarter, better athlete. I think this choice is another step in that direction, as Rhapsody was last year. And look what he achieved with it, despite the doubting thomases and armchair critics of the skating world!

In any case, it seems a bit pre-mature to make such a generalization, i.e. that he is unmusical, until the program is unveiled. I think we're in for a treat when he puts all he's been learning into this one! Can't wait to see what he brings to it that will make it uniquely, and musically, his own. Bring it on!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Well, looks like we have another tango to add to the list: apparently that's what Joannie Rochette's SP will be.

Merrybari, I think the criticism of Evan's music choices is warranted: we've been through this before, but apparently every skater who chooses a warhorse feels they can bring something new to it, and most of them, well - don't. It takes an exceptional talent and some really great choreo to make Carmen/Rach 2/Tosca no. 3569 as fresh and as interesting as some of the signature programs of the past. Evan is very good, but he is not an exceptional talent and the Lori Nichol choreo he usually uses is generic. He can do better. He should do better. Just about everyone has their PCS go up over time as they become better known and get a reputation; it's meaningless and has nothing to do with musicality.

If skaters want to stretch themselves artistically, they usually make more original choices of music - like Dai's techno-swan or Caro doing Riders on the Storm (both well-received programs, BTW). But you know what? Evan doesn't need to stretch himself that much. He's not going to turn into Patrick Chan or Stephane Lambiel or Alexei Yagudin. He's Evan, and as Evan, he should find the music he can express best. I don't think he's doing that right now. Isn't there music he likes and listens to? Doesn't he ever go to the movies? There are some soundtracks he can do so well with.

Evan's not the only one whose music choice has left me underwhelmed - he was simply the most recent and thus the target of my displeasure. But really, many of the selections announced so far are just blah. Still, I have faith in the French skaters (esp. in ice dance) and the Swedish guys. I know Koffe and Adrian won't let me down :).

Last edited: