A little question about World Record | Golden Skate

A little question about World Record

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I knew that Yu-Na set a new record with her combined score, 207,71. That's what is written even in Wikpedia. But I just watched Kimmie's victory in 2006, when she scored 218,33. How comes? I guess I missed something...

merrybari

Final Flight
To make sure I understand, in 2006 there were 3 phases of competition and all 3 scores were used to determine the total. QR + SP + FS = 218.??

In 2009 there were only 2 phases and the total reflects only 2, which is why Yu-Na gets credit for the record. SP + FS = 207.??

Do I have that straight?

i love to skate

Medalist
To make sure I understand, in 2006 there were 3 phases of competition and all 3 scores were used to determine the total. QR + SP + FS = 218.??

In 2009 there were only 2 phases and the total reflects only 2, which is why Yu-Na gets credit for the record. SP + FS = 207.??

Do I have that straight?

yes

gkelly

Record Breaker
They've always done it.

Always done what? Added the IJS scores from qual round (factored), short program, and long program to determine overall results of Worlds and other IJS championships that used qual rounds?

IJS has only been in use at ISU championships since 2005. Qual rounds were discontinued in 2008. So that's only a few years that scores from qual rounds were added in. Hardly "always."

Under the old judging system, qual rounds were used beginning in 1993. Until 1996 skaters who placed well the previous year were exempt from the qualifying; starting in 1997 everyone had to qualify, but IIRC it wasn't until 1999 that factored placements from qual rounds were figured into the final results.

So again, there were several years when the qual rounds counted toward the final results, there were a few years when the qual rounds existed but did not count toward results, and there was almost a century when there were no qual rounds at all. (But there were school figures for most of those years.)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I forgot that with qualifying women used to score over 200 all the time. I don't see why everybody made such a fuss over "being the first to hit 200" then. With the rules changing every year, it really does not mean that much.

Specifically, in 2006 the skaters carried over 25% of their scores from the qualifying round. That was a compromise -- the ISU wanted the score to count for something, because otherwise the top skaters would just blow it off. But they didn't want it to count fully, beause, after all, the original idea of the skate was just to qualify for further competition.

Kimmie got 113.84 in the qualifying round. Twenty-five per cent of that is 28.46. Add this to her short program score (60.17) and her long program score (129.70), and that's where the 218.33 comes from.

If you look on the ISU's official list of personal bests

http://www.isufs.org/isujsstat/pbslto.htm

Kimmie's score for that championship is listed as 189.87. This is her official personal best for a short and long program.

Even though there have been changes in the CoP, I think it is not too far off to compare Kimmie's score of 189 to Yu-na's 207.

The scores to be suspicious of are the marks from 2003. This was the first year of the CoP and the judges did not really know how it was supposed to work. They gave out very high program component scores especially. Sasha's score of 197.60 from Skate Canada stood as a record for a long time, because the next year they reinterpreted the rules and all the scores went down a lot.

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
Ahh - the ever evolving - er OR should I say REvolving interps of the CoPs! Must drive the competitors, choreographers and coaches crazy. It sure does give fans something to talk about - in season and out. :) Thanks mathman for further insights. :agree: