Yu-Na Kim: The big question: What is she going to skate to this year? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: The big question: What is she going to skate to this year?

dkyoun

Rinkside
Skylark

Based on the quotes and all the speculation there's not doubt left in my mind. Yuna will definitely be skating to the Birdie Song.

:rofl:

Ant

Yes !! her life has been such dramatic and thank you SusieH what a video clip it is ! But I would rather recommend Yu-Na do her “Lark Ascending” again.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Hmm..knowing Yu-Na's previous seasons...
probably something rather generic and overly-dramatic.
It would be nice if she did a program again like "Lark" but after she saw how well the melodramatic programs worked for her this year I doubt she will do something that gentle again.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
You know what this reminds me of, the book by Maynard F. Thomson entitled Dreams of Gold, which came out in the year 2000 (one of the better skating books in my humble opinion, my favorite in fact). :)

However, unfortunately, Yuna reminds me not of the heroine (Maggie), but rather of the other tragic figure at the end. The girl that had everything ~ looks, talent, athleticism, It, the girl that literally had it all ~ however she & her coach decided not to let the public know what music she would be skating to at the Olympics (nor the quad she had planned). They let the public think she would be skating to last year's routine & music, then when the moment came they planned to stun them all with this secret glorius music, costume, quad, et al. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way, yes, the opening music was phenomenal (as well as her costume exquisite) & the crowd was entranced, as planned, but then that's when things went wrong. I won't spoil the nail-biting end, it was one for the ages though. But I will say it was the 3Axel girl that triumphed.

Come on, Orser & Yuna, let us know what she will be skating to, don't leave it till the last moment. :) Seriously, it's your prerogative, do as you wish, it just makes the Olympic Season that much more exciting!:agree:

Naahh.. things like these stay in books. It's too risky to try out in real life. (At least I hope Yuna and Orser won't give it a go!) It would be amazing if someone really did that and triumphed though.

I think Yuna and Orser don't plan to reveal the music until the Grand Prix starts. Were they secretive about the music last year as well?

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Anyway, here goes my hope for a "The Lark Ascending" redux.*sigh* Contrary to Orser, I actually believe she suits "soft and slow" very well.

:thumbsup:

Ladies tends to be my least-favourite of all of the events because of all that soft stuff that is soooo badly done, but when Yuna does it, it's perfection!:bow:

Daniel5555

On the Ice
LeCygne
Don't announce the music but don't say you're not announcing it either, if that makes any sense.
I'm pretty sure that if she did so, someone would say the same thing but inversely.

SusieH

On the Ice
I think Yuna and Orser don't plan to reveal the music until the Grand Prix starts. Were they secretive about the music last year as well?
Not at all. Last year they announced it pretty early. We even had an advance cam-version footage of her practicing the short program (taken by her fan) to enjoy during the summer.

ETA: I'm sorry for quoting too much. Thank the moderator for taking time to edit my post :)

Last edited:

skfan

Final Flight
i too would like to see the lark redux! yes, slow fluff for me, any time, long as it's well designed and skated by yu-na.

but of course she has to choose music that stirs her competitive fire--i'm sure she and her team have made a good choice.

i'll cross my fingers that one of her exhibitions will be slow fluff--then her encore can be sassy and sexy.

Does it really matter what the music is? For me, whatever it is begs the question when she skates to it, "Did She Capture the Character of the Music? For the Ladies, they have to do a boring spiral sequence, a prescribed straightlined footwork passage; 7 jump passages with or without music and lots of pseudo ballet arms; convoluted spins; a few moves-in-the field, but only in the adagio part; and a dramatic ending, all of which will explain a story and get some fans thinking it is high art.

I think a few of the Men can skate the tricks and do it to the character of the music better than the Ladies JMO.

zartian

Rinkside
:cool:lol I had a weird dream last night that I was watching this year GP series and Yuna was skating to Phantom of the opera, wishing you were somehow heare again. A sad and slow song. I know this year she said her music was powerful, so out of topic...:biggrin:

Oh.. no more Phantom of the Opera! I am sick of it.. to hear the same songs again and again. :disagree:

cosmos

On the Ice
Good news for you.!!

Team YuNa won't keep the music secret any more. She released a statement today through her agent that she would announce the music in two weeks at the time of the Ice Show.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Good news for you.!!

Team YuNa won't keep the music secret any more. She released a statement today through her agent that she would announce the music in two weeks at the time of the Ice Show.

Yay! I guess a number of us will be hovering around GS that day waiting to pounce on the report.

dkyoun

Rinkside
Good news for you.!!

Here is the video clip you referred to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDNlqiv43QI

All koreans, here is the brief translation.

What Yu-Na is saying is she will open her programs to the public in August before or after the Yu-Na's Show in Korea. And she has been planning to perform her Danse Macabre and another Exhibition number (Maybe Don't stop the music) at the show because lots of her fans love it.

Yu-Na also said "Apart from doing spins, spirals, jumps or else It will be honored for me to be with Michell Kwan on the same ice. I met her at the 2009 World Championship and talked a little bit. I respected her for a long time since I saw her for the first time on TV in 1998 Nagano Olympics and her performance moved me a lot all the time. IAS 2009 will be for MK to be the first comeback stage in about 3 years after her retirement." etc...

Anyway... her programs will be announced sooner or later! be cautious.
I will be IAS 2009 or Yu-Na's show for 3 days in a row. I'll let you know what and how both Yu-Na and MK do at the show. Bye ~~:biggrin:

You can hear what Yu-Na said and Plushenko said on Lysacheck..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB_EVTo5-mY

Last edited:

SusieH

On the Ice
Does it really matter what the music is? For me, whatever it is begs the question when she skates to it, "Did She Capture the Character of the Music? For the Ladies, they have to do a boring spiral sequence, a prescribed straightlined footwork passage; 7 jump passages with or without music and lots of pseudo ballet arms; convoluted spins; a few moves-in-the field, but only in the adagio part; and a dramatic ending, all of which will explain a story and get some fans thinking it is high art.

I think a few of the Men can skate the tricks and do it to the character of the music better than the Ladies JMO.

I do think the skating music matters. It's more aesthetically pleasing to the viewer's ears. Plus, sometimes, sometimes when a skater can feel the music and skate to it, the program just looks totally magical. It's rare nowadays, but sometimes it does happen :)

But I agree about the spiral sequence part. Most of the spirals are boring, contrived, and don't seem to fit the music at all. It almost seems skaters do it just because they are required to do it. I often assume the spiral sequence is designed to help the skater catch her breath. I hope to see more spiral sequences like what Michelle Kwan did in her "East of Eden" program (the short haired verson). That is the kind of the spiral sequence that just seamlessly blends into the music.

--
And great news! :agree: So glad to know they are to announce her music choices soon.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I do think the skating music matters. It's more aesthetically pleasing to the viewer's ears. Plus, sometimes, sometimes when a skater can feel the music and skate to it, the program just looks totally magical. It's rare nowadays, but sometimes it does happen :)

But I agree about the spiral sequence part. Most of the spirals are boring, contrived, and don't seem to fit the music at all. It almost seems skaters do it just because they are required to do it. I often assume the spiral sequence is designed to help the skater catch her breath. I hope to see more spiral sequences like what Michelle Kwan did in her "East of Eden" program (the short haired verson). That is the kind of the spiral sequence that just seamlessly blends into the music.

--
And great news! :agree: So glad to know they are to announce her music choices soon.
But the spiral sequence is not so easy, because they have to change the edge in the middle and requires a lot of strenght, especially if they do it with a great flexibility. :)

Medusa

Record Breaker
"The long program is one of those programs that you can visualize on the final night for the ladies Olympic program. It's one of those great programs and you visualize people on their feet," said Orser, indicating that the choice is a piano concerto with "nice pacing" which people will recognize instantly.
from Icenetwork.
Rachmaninov?

skfan

Final Flight
it's got to be tchaikovsky's piano concerto. it has a lot more... charge compared to other piano concertos frequently used. it opens with a crowd pleasing, instantly recognizable melody, and it has a rousing finish. just my uneducated guess :laugh:

Medusa

Record Breaker
"Piano concerto" often indicates that there is an orchestra involved. Moonlight Sonata and Liebestraum are solo piano pieces.

There are not that many overly famous piano concerti. So it's either Rachmaninov, the famous Tschaikovsky concerto No.1 (Rochette used it in her 07/08 short program, Andreev uses the music in his long program right now), maybe Liszt (though I doubt that his piano concerti qualify as "instantly recognisable") or Beethoven, Mozart... Schumann could be a possibility, I love his piano concerto No.1 - or Chopin's masterpiece of a piano concerto. But all these aren't that well-known / well-used among skaters or the general population. Certainly not as much as Tschaikovsky's No.1 or Rachmaninov's No.2.