Lambiel will be back | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lambiel will be back

After reading the blurb on Icenetwork of his Return, I was struck by one sentence saying the he will be going to Canada for two weeks.

Can anyone explain what that means? Orser?, Toronto?, Quebec? and why?

Medusa

Record Breaker
After reading the blurb on Icenetwork of his Return, I was struck by one sentence saying the he will be going to Canada for two weeks.

Can anyone explain what that means? Orser?, Toronto?, Quebec? and why?
It means Orser. He is going to a training camp there. He will also work with the physiotherapist that helped him so much already this year.

dkyoun

Rinkside
Too many pupils ~~

It means Orser. He is going to a training camp there. He will also work with the physiotherapist that helped him so much already this year.

Wow ! so many skaters at Cricket Club. I expected Lambiel to be comback on the ice at FOI 2009.
It comes true.:clap:
I'll see him in about 2 weeks at Ice All Stars 2009 in Korea.
Hope him to be healthy and manage his adductor muscle with physical therapist(Marla Pichler).

BTW, Chan or Lambiel? My Favorite is?? I am also a fan of Takahashi Daiske..

shine

Record Breaker
Aww but that's part of Lambiel's charms - inappropriate costumes were his thing then :) Seriously though I thought the pop song programmes were absolutely great and the greatest COP antidote. His programme to You're Beautiful more or less in jeans and a long sleaved t-shirt was great - the straightline step seuqence in that program wasn't filled with COP crap, every step and movement (and those gorgeous spread eagles :love:) matched every phrase in the song. The spins that went on forever with subtle changs in position as the melody shifted......it actually made me like some of the songs he skated to just because they reminded me of his skating!

Ant
I can see where you are coming from when you said the only LP you liked from Lambiel was the Flamenco LP. I actually felt that in general his SP's always exceeded his LP's in choreography, save for a few: Quidam (2002), Chocolat (2003), Four Seasons (2006), Poeta (2007, 2008). But I absolutely loved every single one of his SP's both before and after CoP. Most of them were IMO masterpieces.

Last edited:

KayMil01

On the Ice
I agree that CoP is too constricting for Stéphane and that his exhibitions are brilliant. His most recent exhibition program is a great example of this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0BCEjs022Y. I hope he keeps this one for the coming season.

It has been confirmed that indeed is his official EX program this coming season.

I like Stephane's SP's...his 04, 05-06 SP's were awesome. I liked his recent 07-08 SP as well.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I originally found out about this on FSU and was so thrilled! The little zebras are doing a latin dance in your honor, Stephane, my favorite male skater! Welcome back, baby! :love::bow:

I also have to agree with those who believe Stephane shouldn't be bunched up with the likes of Cohen and Plushenko, as he has only missed one season of competition due to serious injury, just like Takahashi, and he didn't leave the sport for 3 and a half years only to participate as a show skater. There's a huge difference!

I agree that CoP is too constricting for Stéphane and that his exhibitions are brilliant. His most recent exhibition program is a great example of this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0BCEjs022Y. I hope he keeps this one for the coming season.
Did I miss the Quad Combo? --- Absolutely NOT!!!

Those balletic mannered half loop jumps; those spinning knee slides;those pauses; that connecting flow over the ice; the headless crossfoot spin and it is headless; the emotional expression. It's like watching Nureyev on Ice. It's pure lyrical drama throughout.

One is so mesmerized that applause during the performance is out of the question, and a Standing O at the end tells it all.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow ! so many skaters at Cricket Club. I expected Lambiel to be comback on the ice at FOI 2009.
It comes true.:clap:
I'll see him in about 2 weeks at Ice All Stars 2009 in Korea.
Hope him to be healthy and manage his adductor muscle with physical therapist(Marla Pichler).

Wow. Good thing the Olympics are in Canada this time. nobody will have to travel that far. they have all migrated en mass already.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Wow. Good thing the Olympics are in Canada this time. nobody will have to travel that far. they have all migrated en mass already.
Well, Stéphane will only be there for two weeks. He will continue to train in Switzerland.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I can see where you are coming from when you said the only LP you liked from Lambiel was the Flamenco LP. I actually felt that in general his SP's always exceeded his LP's in choreography, save for a few: Quidam (2002), Chocolat (2003), Four Seasons (2006), Poeta (2007, 2008). But I absolutely loved every single one of his SP's both before and after CoP. Most of them were IMO masterpieces.

Well you've given me a lot of homework to youtube this weekend Shine! Many thanks for your recommendations - i'll try and watch them over the weekend and let you have my thoughts. I recall a very young Lambiel at Europeans with a great long programme (pre COP of course!) with easy high 3/3s jumps up to triple Lutz and of course the spins like i'd never seen before. Would that have been 2002?

Ant

shine

Record Breaker
Yep! That would be his LP to Cirque du Solei's Quidam in 2002 where he didn't have a quad or 3axel but still managed to finish 4th at the Europeans behind Yags, Abt, and Joubert! :yes:
Happy viewing Ant!

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Here's a video of Stephane's most recent performance of his soon-to-be long program. He looks great, although the axel is still a little shaky. It seems like he'll have no problem adding combinations onto some of those jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDeHuPBVIA

Thanks for the link, Lambiel's jumps are looking quite solid...and thus my hopes of seeing an Olympic gold medal around his neck pop right up again please skate gods please...I've been so good this year

Anyways, I read on another board that Salome Brunner has finished choreographing a new SP for Lambiel, and the music may or may not be announced soon. Oh, the suspense!

This is the second time I noticed that Stephane used a gala number for exhibition purposes (the first being his immortal Flamco) before turning them into competitive LPs with tweaking and high scoring elements. I hope Brunner can make this one GOLD.

jennylovskt

Medalist

I love this program (minus his V shirt)! His style is more polished in the last a couple of years. For some reason, Stephane always make me think of Prince Caspian in Narnia.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Here's a video of Stephane's most recent performance of his soon-to-be long program. He looks great, although the axel is still a little shaky. It seems like he'll have no problem adding combinations onto some of those jumps.

Thas was such a gorgeous performance. If Lambiel could skate with this kind of passion and performance level on the Olympic ice, together with the artistic value of the program itself, it would be something that's not quite seen before! I know I am showing my uber fandom but IMO with his Peota program and this Tango Stephane is really bringing men's skating to a new artistic horizon.
Oh, and he looks SO happy skating! :love:

Last edited:

SusieH

On the Ice

What a beautiful performance :love::love::love: WIth him coming back, this is gonna be a great olympic season! I can feel it. :clap:

And I loved his hair :yes: As much as I enjoyed Poeta, I really hated the hair gel.

Wicked

Final Flight
Don't like the costume for the EX

I love this program (minus his V shirt)! His style is more polished in the last a couple of years. For some reason, Stephane always make me think of Prince Caspian in Narnia.

I love this program, but I wish he would do something about the costume. The beads hanging off it don't work for me, and I find myself watching the program thinking it would be even better if he had a different costume. I really like his costume for the tango program.