The War Horses Listed in Evan's Icenetwork Blurb | Golden Skate

The War Horses Listed in Evan's Icenetwork Blurb

Within the article it is written all the warhorse music being used for the Olys. (There is probably more than the ones listed, imo.) Don't watch the Oly's for variety.

http://iceaddiction.blogspot.com/2009/07/evan-lysaceks-music-choice.html

Evan is not happy with Scheherazade and he is worried about comparisons to previous performances of Scher.

I don't recall any prior Scher's that were mind blowing ever. I don't think he has to worry about that. Yet I feel it is the perfect competitive figure skating music with changes of tempo, changes of rhythms, crescendos, and beautiful adagio.

Can he manage the changes of emotions? We'll see.

merrybari

Final Flight
Within the article it is written all the warhorse music being used for the Olys. (There is probably more than the ones listed, imo.) Don't watch the Oly's for variety.

http://iceaddiction.blogspot.com/2009/07/evan-lysaceks-music-choice.html

Evan is not happy with Scheherazade and he is worried about comparisons to previous performances of Scher.

I don't recall any prior Scher's that were mind blowing ever. I don't think he has to worry about that. Yet I feel it is the perfect competitive figure skating music with changes of tempo, changes of rhythms, crescendos, and beautiful adagio.

Where did you read that Evan is unhappy with this choice or worried about comparisons? I didn't see anything in that blog that would lead me to believe he was dissatisfied.

Not that familiar with the music - and don't have time to listen to the hour+ bites on youtube, but the cut will make the program unique for him from all those that have gone before.

He's worked with Lori on adding more expression to his skating, deeper edges, more flow, head up etc. so I'm sure he'll continue to build on that. I expect he'll catch and deliver the emotional nuances called for.

Seems its fans and media who are mostly complaining about the lack of variety this Olympic season. Can't blame the athletes for choosing music that works. They've been building for this for years. It's a job for them - to make it look effortless and entertaining for those in the seats. The judges hold their futures in their "pencils." Aspirations and hopes and dreams riding on choices and a very thin piece of steel. I don't blame them for using the tried and true. (I prefer that term to "over-used warhorses. Much more positive :)

Bring it on!

I see it isn't Evan saying that but the writer of that Skate Addiction. Anyone know who that is?

What interested me more was the number of Warhorses being used for the Olys, That's not like Torvahl and Dean who first used bolero music at an Oly.

here's the list: (Are there more to be listed?)

We've already got a Scheherazade this season (Zhang/Zhang), 3 Romeo and Juliets (James/Bonheur, Sarah Meier and Kimmmie Meissner),3 Carmens (Dube/Davidson, Mirai Nagasu and Ross Miner) and 3 Phantom of the Operas (Patrick Chan, Weaver/Poje and Yukari Nakano)

merrybari

Final Flight
I see it isn't Evan saying that but the writer of that Skate Addiction. Anyone know who that is?

What interested me more was the number of Warhorses being used for the Olys, That's not like Torvahl and Dean who first used bolero music at an Oly.

here's the list: (Are there more to be listed?)

We've already got a Scheherazade this season (Zhang/Zhang), 3 Romeo and Juliets (James/Bonheur, Sarah Meier and Kimmmie Meissner),3 Carmens (Dube/Davidson, Mirai Nagasu and Ross Miner) and 3 Phantom of the Operas (Patrick Chan, Weaver/Poje and Yukari Nakano)

Add another POTO: Yukari Nakano

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Where does it say that he is not happy with his choice? I think it is a pretty good choice for him, because although it has been used a lot, It has not been used by many male skaters and there is just so much great stuff to choose from in that music.

merrybari

Final Flight
Where does it say that he is not happy with his choice? I think it is a pretty good choice for him, because although it has been used a lot, It has not been used by many male skaters and there is just so much great stuff to choose from in that music.

Joe corrected his post as follows:
Joesitz: I see it isn't Evan saying that but the writer of that Skate Addiction. Anyone know who that is?

I agree it's a good choice for him. Can't wait to hear the cut and see the program. Guess I'll have to though.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Sorry Joe.

Well we have one less Carmen than the article states...Dube and Davidoson have droppped Carmen for a movie score in a smart move.

Wicked

Final Flight
A lot of skaters have used Scheherazade in the past, but I don't think it's strongly associated with anyone in particular. It's familiar, but I don't think anyone who uses it should worry about being unfavorably compared to previous Scheherazades. That could make it a great choice.

A lot of skaters have used Scheherazade in the past, but I don't think it's strongly associated with anyone in particular. It's familiar, but I don't think anyone who uses it should worry about being unfavorably compared to previous Scheherazades. That could make it a great choice.
One poster said that Scher has never been used by a man. Well, I know pink is for girls and blue is for boys, but being the first man to skate to Scher would be most interesting if he can get all those rhythms going. I do want to see this.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
One poster said that Scher has never been used by a man. Well, I know pink is for girls and blue is for boys, but being the first man to skate to Scher would be most interesting if he can get all those rhythms going. I do want to see this.
John Curry skated to it, but did so as a professional. Blumburg/Seibert skated to it in 84 Olympics (so robbed of a medal). G/G skated it to as professionals, as did Debi Thomas. Midori used Scher to great effect in 1990. But I can't think of a male single skater who has skated to it.

Of course, we all know Michelle skated to it. But we don't think of it has 'hers'. However, if she had won the Olympics, then I venture to say that Scher would have been considered 'hers' and I don't think anyone would dare skate to it - JMOHO....

However, the piece itself has many parts to choose from that many unique version can be made.

merrybari

Final Flight
Not only am I not that familiar with the music, I didn't know the story either so I looked it up on wikipedia. For those who don't know it either here's a brief thumbnail version. It has great range as well.

From the Sultan's point of view, he changes from an angry betrayed husband who discards/beheads his wives after one night of wedded bliss, to one who finds an end to his anger in the love of a trustworthy woman who captivates him through the power and fascination of Scherazades stories ( 1001 nights worth).

From her standpoint, she is brave enough to face the fate and secure enough to know she can, through her stories, effect that change and bring love into a life devoid of trust.

With Evan's ability to latch on to character driven programs, mixing the two stories should make for some pretty powerful skating. I"m not sure that's ever been done before by any who've skated to it.

I'm so eager to know what cuts they used to portray the interwoven stories of two people - one who brings peace to a troubled soul and for that troubled soul to find the trust and renewed faith in love and loyalty so that allows him to accept that peace.

merrybari

Final Flight
Blumberg and Siebert's Scheherazade was quite wonderful and memorable and shows how the story can be portrayed very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0vvTDXI0BE

Be sure to read the blurb under more info.

Thank you.

Have now listened to John Curry's, Yu-Na'a and this one more for the music cuts than the performances, though they were wonderful too.

I'm starting to get a feel for the music and the story. What I've seen makes me even more eager and curious to see what Evan brings.

RE: B/S Inappropriate music? How so?? What a crock!

I'm starting to think there should be someplace "official" that clears the music as OK to use so skaters aren't penalized for that sort of stuff. Thinking Brian Joubert for the music deduction for "vocals" in a program - a call not made all year long until then. Wasn't aware that it had happened to B/S also, though this sort of thing in various forms has always shown it's ugly face more in ice dance, tho' that does seem to be less frequent nowadays than earlier.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm starting to think there should be someplace "official" that clears the music as OK to use so skaters aren't penalized for that sort of stuff. Thinking Brian Joubert for the music deduction for "vocals" in a program - a call not made all year long until then. Wasn't aware that it had happened to B/S also.
:agree: Agreed again, though the two cases are quite different; with Blumberg and Siebert, it was a judge looking for any pretext to place them lower, while in Joubert's case, it was an overzealous caller with music that may or may not have had lyrics (I'm still not sure, myself; I think not). I remember being worried that Tomas Verner might get a similar call on his 2007-8/2008-9 SP, which had vocals as well.

But definitely once a skater has cleared his or her music with an official panel/person, that should be it.

OT, that Youtube user has posted many vintage skating clips, and I really recommend browsing his channel.

Last edited:
I'm not overly concerned about the story as I am about the rhythms of the music. There is more than enough variety in that music to make excellent cuts. Let's hope Evan has the best cuts to suit his style. I don't think one has to follow the Arabian Nights story.

merrybari

Final Flight
I'm not overly concerned about the story as I am about the rhythms of the music. There is more than enough variety in that music to make excellent cuts. Let's hope Evan has the best cuts to suit his style. I don't think one has to follow the Arabian Nights story.

Good point. Best to suit the skaters style. With all the music to choose from, that's a major feat in and of itself. But I do believe it'll be choreographed to tell a story too. At least it'll help with the interp. imo

nubka

Final Flight
I just hope that Evan doesn't wear harem pants and a turban in an attempt to channel Nijinsky as the immortal Golden Slave...:p

merrybari

Final Flight
I just hope that Evan doesn't wear harem pants and a turban in an attempt to channel Nijinsky as the immortal Golden Slave...:p

No worries - I'm quite sure he and Vera Wang will come up with something much more subtle and classic than that.

antmanb

Record Breaker
No worries - I'm quite sure he and Vera Wang will come up with something much more subtle and classic than that.

He could wear a pretty Kwan-like dress maybe :rofl:

(Sorry but when i think of Wang and skating i just always think Kwan!)

Ant