The War Horses Listed in Evan's Icenetwork Blurb | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The War Horses Listed in Evan's Icenetwork Blurb

Ah, Angel. Skaters can not make those steps on the Ice.

If i were a heluva lot younger and still skating, I would take the music cuts out of Arabia which the Russians love, and put it in a South Sea Island in the Pacific. It would be about warring tribes, a beautiful polynesian lady, and a handsome dude from Boston involved in a miscegination love duet. The climax, of course would be the Typhoon devastating the island and killing all but the loving couple. Original? hmph!

It's high on my list to watch Evan as the first male skater to use Scher in a major competition.

pista04

On the Ice
To an earlier post about skaters working their careers and choosing music "that works" (which I could quote...but that'd take so long, haha) it's completely understandable...but I wish that more skaters would take huge risks, especially at olympics. It'd really cement them as historical, if that makes sense. I know some have chosen unique music, and i hope they all turn out wonderful. I would love to see a field of "Amelie" "Requiem" and maybe a "Nina Rota", and then some really modern choices, like "Titan Spirit" from Remember the Titans, or even "Bumblebee" from Transformers. Some of Transformers' pieces have been amazing, and would love to see a program from it.

ETA: And, as corny as it could be, and it'd need some remixing, from ES Posthumos has some decent things...especially "Nara". That could be beautiful.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I see it isn't Evan saying that but the writer of that Skate Addiction. Anyone know who that is?

It's someone who can't spell very well. :laugh:

I can see how there would be a lot of music recycling. I just think that champion skaters should WANT to set themselves apart. You can do that with "recycled" music but only if it is a unique interpretation. I wonder if some skaters need to take more interest in their music and put more work into finding/creating a musical cut which makes a new statement. Or perhaps the music is almost seen as being superfluous nowadays...

I'm not against the use of a story, if the skater continues with the essence throughout the program. Joannie's Firebird did just that! But if for 10 seconds of music at the beginning and 8 seconds at the end of the program, why bother?

If you check out Lambiel's programs, he used the character of the Flamenco and now the character of the Tango and it was throughout the programs. What else do you need?

nubka

Final Flight
No worries - I'm quite sure he and Vera Wang will come up with something much more subtle and classic than that.

You mean something sleeveless, low cut, with a cute little skirt? Let's just hope that his ta-ta's don't pop out the front ala Kwan...:laugh:

You mean something sleeveless, low cut, with a cute little skirt? Let's just hope that his ta-ta's don't pop out the front ala Kwan...:laugh:
Nubka - I'm surprised at you to stoop so low Do you do that with all the skaters you hate? :laugh: does the laugh emoticon soften the b***chy remark?

merrybari

Final Flight
Nubka - I'm surprised at you to stoop so low Do you do that with all the skaters you hate? :laugh: does the laugh emoticon soften the b***chy remark?

Thanks Joe! I was thinking the same thing but couldn't find a nice way to express it. You did it for me. :rock:

Here is John Curry's Scheherazade at the 1980 or 1981(?) World Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se19k1ZvLSw
Did you miss the Quad? :laugh:
Was there artistry in that program?
I think he did that on a procenium stage.

Try this Le Corsaire (Fonteyn and Nureyev). remember he's a slave and she's a princess:

Curry was the ARTIST and I still list him slightly above Lambiel, and I am waiting for Brezina to blossom.
I just can't get with the Ladies as ARTISTS.

nubka

Final Flight

Duh. :sheesh: How can you hate a person you have never even met ?? Actually, come to think of it, I don't hate anybody.

I was thinking about the pics taken from Tosca where Kwan is wearing the salmon colored dress. Very revealing when she goes into the spiral and especially hits her ending pose.

By the way, a :laugh: doesn't soften anything, and wasn't meant to. The neckline of that dress left very little to the imagination. You would think that they would "test drive" those dresses before using them on ice...:scratch:

Keep up the good work. Life would be so boring without your sermons...:love:

Curry was the ARTIST and I still list him slightly above Lambiel, and I am waiting for Brezina to blossom.

I just can't get with the Ladies as ARTISTS.

I think Curry was really in a class by himself. I don't think any other skater really tried to make ice skating into a dance form in its own right, borrowing elements from other dance disciplines, but also taking advantage of what skating itself can bring to the table in terms of gliding and spinning.

Kurt Browning, Mr. Dancing Skates himself, is more of a song-and-dance kind or guy, to me. I think he sees himself more as an entertainer than an artist.

According to what I have read, Curry was also an impassioned and hard-driving perfectionist as a producer of shows. Lori Nichol credits her time in Curry's professional company as her inspiration as a choreographer.

About the ladies compared to the gentlemen, I think a lot of little girls go into figure skating just because -- well, for no particular reason, they just like it. But boys who elect the sport tend to have a little of the artist in their souls to begin with, otherwise they take up hockey.

Duh. :sheesh: How can you hate a person you have never even met ?? Actually, come to think of it, I don't hate anybody.

I was thinking about the pics taken from Tosca where Kwan is wearing the salmon colored dress. Very revealing when she goes into the spiral and especially hits her ending pose.

By the way, a :laugh: doesn't soften anything, and wasn't meant to. The neckline of that dress left very little to the imagination. You would think that they would "test drive" those dresses before using them on ice...:scratch:

Keep up the good work. Life would be so boring without your sermons...:love:
My main sermon is to get rid of the figure skating concept as a little girl's sport and spirals only.:biggrin: But no one picks up on that. I'm just an old curmudgeon worse than Andy Rooney. :frown:

I do apologize for my error in thinking you were talking about Lysacek. I have no comment on Kwan's costume malfunction.

Cheers - Joe

Mathman - Very good post. Artistry in figure skating is not aping a ballerina but bringing something of herself to the performance. Kwan kind of gets that. Sonia, like Kurt was an entertainer. although I didn't see all of them but some I've seen during my years were Jacqueline DuBief, Aja Vronova, Belita. There are, of course, many who were exceptional competitors.

And yes, some of the boys do attempt to bring a bit of artistry to their skating but the stipulation is that they[Bmust][/B] have super technique and maintain it for quite a while. (Nureyev learned good technique while in England.) Chris Bowman blew it, imo. He cudabenn a contender says Brando. sad.

Last edited: