Allie Hann McCurdy and Michael Coreno | Golden Skate

Allie Hann McCurdy and Michael Coreno

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They are competing at Lake Placid International Dance Competition this week. They are doing both their OD and FD.

It's not very likely that they will get to the Olympics or Worlds this year. Canada has 2 spots. Crone/Poirier and Weaver/Poje and Ralph/Hill all seem to be higher ranked than Allie & Michael and more in line for the second spot.

I really liked their 2008 OD, though (Log Driver's Waltz/Newfoundland Jig)

Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
I really liked their 2008 OD, though (Log Driver's Waltz/Newfoundland Jig)

Speaking of which, I think it was that OD which helped them climb the rankings, since it was the only one of its kind and was different from all the Russian dances in its country-style playfulness. :agree: I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with this year again, but I have to agree their chances of competing at the Olympics and Worlds are rather slim. They could go to 4 Continents, though, couldn't they? I think not many skaters bound for the Olympics will want to go to Korea so soon before the Games.

-kypma

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I agree. And I think they may well go to 4CC's--although other skaters may covet the ISU points and money they would get by placing high at 4CC's. V&M probably should skip 4CC's. In the US, I expect D&W and B&A to skip 4CC's. Both have already been 4CC's champions and will want to do whatever will keep them ready for Olympics. Consequently 4CC's will be a really important competition for teams that want to create a splash for the next season in the US and Canada. C/P and S/B (US) may well go.

There should be 2 spots at 4CC's open (or if C/P choose not to go, 3 spots), and H-M/C may well get a chance to go, especially if they do well this fall on the GP-I believe they have at least one GP slot? Possibly contingent on performing well at LPIDC.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Aren't the 4CCs a day after the US National Championships? If that's the case, I think the American teams going to the Olympics (which I assume will be the 09 Worlds team) and the 4th-6th place teams would go to 4CC.

sktgirl6

Rinkside
Where are they now?

Yes i really like the chemistry this team has.. and the expression they have it really reaches the back seats..... Does anyone know where they are training now? Good luck to them this year.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Yes i really like the chemistry this team has.. and the expression they have it really reaches the back seats..... Does anyone know where they are training now? Good luck to them this year.
Aren't they still training in Vancouver with Victor Kraatz?

nadster

Final Flight
Y
There should be 2 spots at 4CC's open (or if C/P choose not to go, 3 spots), and H-M/C may well get a chance to go, especially if they do well this fall on the GP-I believe they have at least one GP slot? Possibly contingent on performing well at LPIDC.

Canada can only send 2 ice dance teams open so only the teams finishing 3rd to 5th at nationals will have a realistic chance

It is unlikely that H-M/C will finish in the top 5 at nationals next year. They finished 6th last year and Routhier/S-L ( current junior champions) will definitely challenge them at nationals. If Paul/Islam (new pairing but doing well in summer comps so far and definitely in line for JGP spots) decide to compete senior at nationals, they also could challenge. There is every chance H-M/C could slip further behind.

I heard from someone that they are not in Vancouver anymore,

Not completely surprising as H-M/C clearly took big steps backwards last year. Perhaps a change of scenery will fire them up. They definitely do have to change the routine somehow as what they were doing clearly was not working.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The question is, of course, whether Allie & Michael can nab the 5th spot or better. They will definitely have to improve over their last year's performance a lot. OTOH, they did folk very, very well in 2008, so this year's OD plays to their strength. I wouldn't rule them out for 5th.

This year's CD's (Golden Waltz and Tango Romantica) are very tricky ones, and that may be the key to who gets the 5th spot.

I expect to see both Routhier/Saucke-Lacelle & Paul/Islam aiming for Jr. Worlds, (I think they are both eligible?)., as they have not medalled at Jr Worlds as yet.

sktgirl6

Rinkside
free dance

That is 2 years ago , and after that they changed it. Did they not do Rhapsody in Blue,,,,,,,

sktgirl6

Rinkside
music....

anyone know what they were skating to in lake placid...... and someone must have seen who their coaches are there...............

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
At some point, I expect ice-dance.com will finish posting their reports. Icenetwork basically has nothing so far.

nylynnr

On the Ice
Which of the Detroit coaches?

They are training with Shpilband and Zoueva in Canton. (Shpilband was with the teams in Lake Placid). Their winning OD in LP was to a traditional Tarantella; they placed fourth in the free dance, performing to the score of Fellini's "Circus" by Nino Rota.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
nylynnr, Thank you so much. I hope that someone will post a youtube of their programs at Lake Placid.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
They are training with Shpilband and Zoueva in Canton. (Shpilband was with the teams in Lake Placid). Their winning OD in LP was to a traditional Tarantella; they placed fourth in the free dance, performing to the score of Fellini's "Circus" by Nino Rota.

Oh no, not another team going to Shpilband. I wonder how he divides his time b/w all the students he trains, hopefully he is giving priority to his top ranked couples.

Last edited: