Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships (Aug. 4-8, 2009) | Golden Skate

Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships (Aug. 4-8, 2009)

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Thank you! I hope someone posts the videos.
I wonder if Ice-Dance will post the results real-time?

Tammi

On the Ice
In past years, the announcer does not read the scores following each skater. At the end of the event, they will sometimes announce the top 3 placements. We'll tweet the results as soon as they're available at the rink and probably post the details on the IDC message boards.

I'm not sure what has prompted their withdrawal, but I did not see the Shibutani's name on the start order for the Junior free dance.

100yen

Medalist
In past years, the announcer does not read the scores following each skater. At the end of the event, they will sometimes announce the top 3 placements. We'll tweet the results as soon as they're available at the rink and probably post the details on the IDC message boards.

I'm not sure what has prompted their withdrawal, but I did not see the Shibutani's name on the start order for the Junior free dance.

Hello! Can you please send me the link to where you found this starting line up? I am aware of the Shibutani's withdrawl but I would like an official confirmation from Ice-Dance or the USFSA site.
Thank you!

Tammi

On the Ice
Hello! Can you please send me the link to where you found this starting line up? I am aware of the Shibutani's withdrawl but I would like an official confirmation from Ice-Dance or the USFSA site.
Thank you!
Sorry but they do not post start orders online for this event. It's only at the rink. I also doubt that usfs will publish a statement as this isn't a qualifying competition. The results will be posted on the www.lakeplacidskating.com site and we are reporting via the ice-dance.com link that Sylvia provided above. Pictures from some practices are up.

100yen

Medalist
Sorry but they do not post start orders online for this event. It's only at the rink. I also doubt that usfs will publish a statement as this isn't a qualifying competition. The results will be posted on the www.lakeplacidskating.com site and we are reporting via the ice-dance.com link that Sylvia provided above. Pictures from some practices are up.

Ok, thank you for the information. The fact that their names are not on the roster at the actual rink makes the withdrawal official, then. Once again, thank you so much for posting and all the coverage...or I would have been waiting forever for some kind of article.
I hope you enjoy the competition. :)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Lake Placid official results index page (results are being uploaded at the end of each day): http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/newsite/competitions/ice_dance/09results.php

Unofficial results (during the day), comments and first-hand impressions are being posted by ice-dance.com staff at:
http://lpidc.ice-dance.com/2009/staffblog/
and
http://twitter.com/icedancecom

Competition schedule through Saturday: http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/newsite/competitions/ice_dance/Competition Schedule_rev7.21.pdf

ice-dance.com's extensive photo gallery: http://photography.ice-dance.com/2009LakePlacidIDC/

lmarie086

Medalist

Those are actually from 2007, it looks like the only one from this year is NavBoms. Congratulations on their win, but I'm not sure what I think of their FD. On one hand I think the music suits them very well, but the program has an exhibition feeling to it. Still, I like it a lot better than last seasons FD-by far.

Last edited by a moderator:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Those are actually from 2007, it looks like the only one from this year is NavBoms. Congratulations on their win, but I'm not sure what I think of their FD. On one hand I think the music suits them very well, but the program has an exhibition feeling to it. Still, I like it a lot better than last seasons FD-by far.

I agree with the above. I love the program but find it more showy than competitive in quality. It will be thoroughly enjoyed by everyone, but will not get them to the podium.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sorry for the mistake. I got excited because it was the same poster on youtube (alikasher)

I hope she will post more from this year, though.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I agree with the above. I love the program but find it more showy than competitive in quality. It will be thoroughly enjoyed by everyone, but will not get them to the podium.

I too keep questioning why they keep shooting themselves in the foot by skating to pop music for their freedances. The judges are not going to take that seriously, and it is a pity because they have some good things about their skating and nice chemistry.

conga

On the Ice
I too keep questioning why they keep shooting themselves in the foot by skating to pop music for their freedances. The judges are not going to take that seriously, and it is a pity because they have some good things about their skating and nice chemistry.

They are one of my favorite teams partially because they have great chemistry and skate to their strengths. Maybe they also want to help move the judges into the 21st century? It would be a really sad thing if the only dance troupes in the world were classical.

mad6ame2

Rinkside
Monitoring Sessions?

Did anyone see any of the monitoring sessions?

I was able to see Maia and Alex Shibutani and another team (they were in the same group in the 1980 rink) but I was wondering if anyone had any video links or had seen any of the other skaters like Samuelson/Bates, and Navarro/Bommentre. I saw Kim and Brent compete their FD and I liked it much more than their program last season.

I was surprised to see the skaters being monitored because I had been told that the monitoring sessions were closed to the public. So I was very excited when I saw the Shibutanis. They looked very strong--faster and even more mature (it looks like Maia has grown some)...
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tammi

On the Ice
Due to a power outage at the arena, they weren't able to use the 1932 rink for the first group of monitored teams. A few people who hung around the 1980 rink were able to watch the Shibutanis and Gilles/Donahue. The power came back on around noon time, so all the other teams did their regular schedule on the 1932 rink. It was closed to the public and about all you could do was peek through a small space in the window.