Any Sasha updates? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Any Sasha updates?

mskater93

Record Breaker
There's a difference with skating slow and skating slow when discussing a program. You can use deep pushes that take longer periods of time and generate more power each (skating slow, taking your time) that cover the ice in a majestic way (I think Yagudin was a master of this as is my secondary coach) and then there's the skating slow in terms of speed (ie, doesn't generate power). Just my $0.02

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Well, why don't we skate really, really fast to some slow music??? That makes a lot of sense. Why don't we throw several triple jumps in a show performance, that makes a lot of sense.

Why don't we just rip her heart out and serve it on a platter while we're at it???!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was going to say something but:rofl::rofl::rofl: sums it up MUCH better... hysterical....

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I know....thanks KW!!!!

Dee, what I love the most is how the board "experts" are so confident in their assessment - never mind the previous results, current state of the sport, or even the fact that said event hasn't even happened yet... Why even compete at all?!? Let's just let the boards vote on who's the best and we can all save a ton of money, time and heartburn watching it play out...

Results be darned! Because what you read on skating boards would lead one to believe that Michelle was more popular than good (9 US titles, 5 World titles), Irina was a broke down, sickly has-been that was lucky to make it to '05 Worlds (2 World titles - the grandest at 25 w/ serious illness), Fumie only had her success because I don't know - the Japanese Ladies Field wasn't deep (singlehandedly kept skating alive in Japan for years while competing at the highest levels), DivaKwara only did five triples in Torino (first time a skater over puberty won the OGM in years) and Sasha doesn't have a chance of being competitive against Alyssa & Co. (where did this stellar group end up at Worlds?) because she's inconsistant with poor speed (Like speed ever helped Caro...) and no major titles (how many Silvers has she won compared to everybody else?)

Personally, I think they're just jealous because they've never experienced the art & passion of being an uber...

R.D.

Record Breaker
...Sasha doesn't have a chance of being competitive against Alyssa & Co. (where did this stellar group end up at Worlds?) because she's inconsistant with poor speed

No. What I get is that she wouldn't be competitive with Kim and Asada. Most people seem to think that (assuming she's in shape) she shouldn't have too much trouble in the current US field. But the best the US can manage right now is a distant 5th in the world.

But as I pointed out earlier (I don't know if it was here or on FSU), 2006 was a looong time ago and we really have see her compete TODAY to know where to rank her amongst the top skaters (or whether she even belongs in that crop). Everything up to that point is nothing but guesswork.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
No. What I get is that she wouldn't be competitive with Kim and Asada. Most people seem to think that (assuming she's in shape) she shouldn't have too much trouble in the current US field. But the best the US can manage right now is a distant 5th in the world.

But as I pointed out earlier (I don't know if it was here or on FSU), 2006 was a looong time ago and we really have see her compete TODAY to know where to rank her amongst the top skaters (or whether she even belongs in that crop). Everything up to that point is nothing but speculation.

Listen, this is the point I'm trying to make - we don't know who will end up where and with what medal until the actual event... I don't remember the last time the favorite won the olympics (maybe Kristie, maybe Oksana, maybe Kat) and that makes all this "she can't win because..." pointless and the smug tone unnecessary. I'm no fairy princess and I'm no Sasha fan so I don't come from a place of can't we all just get along or SASHA RULZ! But these posts based on nothing more than smug opinion drive me nuts...

And just to state the obvious, I'd be more shocked to see Yu-Na and Kim finish 1,2 - regardless of order- in Vancouver than to see Sasha medal because (oh goodness - I'm using the most dreaded of all skating cliches...) ice is slippery.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
okay, the name of this thread was "sasha updates?"
no there, are no sasha updates except the great link on the first post. the fighting as soon as this girl's name is mentioned is not new. So let's just drop it until an actual update shows its face.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
okay, the name of this thread was "sasha updates?"
no there, are no sasha updates except the great link on the first post. the fighting as soon as this girl's name is mentioned is not new. So let's just drop it until an actual update shows its face.

:rofl::rofl: Oh, Tiny... you're so cute... these are ladies' figure skating fans... in the off season before an Olympic year...:rofl::rofl:

(at work whenever someone says something really nasty, snarky & unnecessary I always tell them to go be productive and join a skating fan board - just to learn better delivery...:p)

Nadine

Record Breaker
I just wanted to say that after I posted my last comment I realized I erred. Yes, it is because Sasha Cohen is so magnificent when it comes to line/extension/toepoint/music/et al that she does receive +++GOE, which allows her to medal even when she falls. In fact, I have to be honest I was shocked & pleasantly surprised when she won the silver medal at the 2006 Olympics. After her two falls I honestly thought it was all over for her, that she was off the podium, another fourth place finish. Thus, I was overjoyed for her when she won the silver medal. :) Every cloud really does have a silver lining.

P.S. and, yes, upon reflection, I recall Sasha has underrotated a few times (think she did so at the Olympics on her second triple toe in combination), but that's a rarity, usually she overrotates.

antmanb

Record Breaker
:rofl::rofl: Oh, Tiny... you're so cute... these are ladies' figure skating fans... in the off season before an Olympic year...:rofl::rofl:

(at work whenever someone says something really nasty, snarky & unnecessary I always tell them to go be productive and join a skating fan board - just to learn better delivery...:p)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am sooooooo adopting that from now on!

Ant

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:rofl::rofl: (at work whenever someone says something really nasty, snarky & unnecessary I always tell them to go be productive and join a skating fan board - just to learn better delivery...:p)
I'm with you Ant, KW is just the best!!!

Is that your little pooch???

fairly4

Medalist
jealous of sasha no, envious of sasha no, upset at sasha yes, why
1) overly cheating of her --by that I mean not enought points taken of of her scores only (the minscules amount) not enough to do damage
2) not really noticing her ur's. focusing mainly on her spins, spiral( not that is wrong) but not focusing enought on what she does wrong, and complaining about when she get nailed for ur's wrong edge, etc (sasha herself complaining at the 2004 gpf that they shouldn't have taken off points because of her falls and mistakes.
3) at crest winning by not doing a combination and missing a jump, sarah doing a clean skate.
4) sasha complaining about some kind of injury every year to get props, sympathy vote from the fans, media and judges. when michelle tried it the fans , media thought she was lying , didn't care and didn't bring it up.
inother words it is okay for sasha to be injured and used that excuse but not michelle.
5) artistry -when younger-even though she skated wooden a
nd like she was stuck in the mud. she a bit looser now, but not much,
6) sasha okay being old 24 staying in, when sasha wanted michelle out at that age , so she could have a clear shot, well she had her chance in 2006 worlds, she was upstaged by kimmie.
the only thing sasha has is her bendability which isn't much.
yes sasha fans, just upset at the very pro-cheating treatment sasha got through her skating years. sasha is a decent skater but she is also clearly overlyhped, marked.
yes sasha fans, sasha has been ov

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
jealous of sasha no, envious of sasha no, upset at sasha yes, why

Upset AT Sasha or Upset because / regarding Sasha - HUGE difference... you can be a nonfat of hers, but how can you be upset at someone you don't know? Its not her fault that judges love her... As for wanting MK to retire, who wouldn't? Would YOU want MK standing between you and a goal or a gold? I think not...

nubka

Final Flight
And just to state the obvious, I'd be more shocked to see Yu-Na and Kim finish 1,2 - regardless of order- in Vancouver than to see Sasha medal because (oh goodness - I'm using the most dreaded of all skating cliches...) ice is slippery.

Did you mean Yu-na and Mao? (not sure...:confused:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Did you mean Yu-na and Mao? (not sure...:confused:)

:rofl: didn't even catch that one. The way she's dominating right now, i'm sure she could finish 1st and 2nd at the same time anyway :laugh:

It's so tempting to say that the two of them will dominate next season, but weird things happen at the Olys. At least let an American be on the podium though!