Do you think Kwan's decision was based on Cohen's? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Do you think Kwan's decision was based on Cohen's?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Yes, I did. And what I recall about Nationals is that it's a full year before next year's Nationals. There are hungry little girls out there with sparkly new dresses, sparkly new programs, and sparkly new coaches who are fighting hard to improve as I type.

Skating is a cruel sport folks, so I'll be blunt. Had Michelle returned, she would have gotten her butt mule-kicked across the ice and into the stands. She did the only thing she could have done.

Bob, this is so very true because there will be a lot of Mule Kicks thumping around Nationals this year...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mafke

Medalist
I doubt very much that Kwan's decision was influenced very much by anything any other skaters had decided to do.

And huge Kwan fan that I am, I still have to say I'm just as glad she's not going to attempt a comeback. She had one of the great competitive careers in skating and that's enough for me. At this stage I'm much more intrigued by her public service/diplomatic/political career than seeing her back on the ice.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think Michelle gave herself some specific goals that she would have to achieve by a certain date if she was going to postpone grad school and take another shot at the Olympics. I think she gave it an honest try, didn't meet those goals (which probably included at least one triple-triple combo and high level spins) and decided to go ahead with the school in the fall. She's a smart lady and I think knows what she's doing.

Sasha may or may not end up in the top 2 at U.S. Nationals, but she hasn't been off the ice and she's been out of competition for a shorter time than Michelle has. Also, Sasha was already doing very well under IJS in 2006, whereas Michelle was having trouble acquiring the more difficult spin variations, etc. Sasha definitely has less catching up to do.

I agree with everything you said. Michelle is not the type of person to be "scared off" because one of her old competitors came back. She probably saw that after a few months of training that she just wasn't going to ever be the skater she once was, and was realistic about it. She has a great opportunity to continue her education and decided to continue on that path, where she knows success is much more attainable. Very smart and very adult move. Very Michelle.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I just doubt if comeback was any realistic option for her. She would of course have had a sentiment, like looking back sweet memories with your ex's, but that would have been different from reality.

I personally don't find Sasha's the most realistic and smartest move, in terms of the expected competition results. But as long as Sasha gets something meaningful for her as a person, I would support it, because happiness is not all about OGM.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I doubt very much that Kwan's decision was influenced very much by anything any other skaters had decided to do.

And huge Kwan fan that I am, I still have to say I'm just as glad she's not going to attempt a comeback. She had one of the great competitive careers in skating and that's enough for me. At this stage I'm much more intrigued by her public service/diplomatic/political career than seeing her back on the ice.

:thumbsup:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No... Toni hasn't booted me off a looonnggg time ago...

First off, to be thought of as that cruel and heartless HURTS! *drama queen moment*

Second - so long as you're on MM's side you have no worries... if ever you make his list, watch out ;)

how the heck did I get dragged into an MK discussion, anyway?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Here is a Cliche - "It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind." I would think this would apply to figure skaters too....

;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just doubt if comeback was any realistic option for her. She would of course have had a sentiment, like looking back sweet memories with your ex's, but that would have been different from reality.

She may not be competing any more, but she will still skate professionally. In fact, she will skate in a Korean show next week, the first time in nearly FOUR years. Despite that, disappointment still reigns upon many of her big fans...oh well.

I personally don't find Sasha's the most realistic and smartest move, in terms of the expected competition results.

Me either, but if that's what she really wants to do and no one forced her or pushed her into it, then I say let her try. The chances are remote, but I suppose the USA ladies can use any help they can get right now.

Last edited:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I really don't believe it affected Michelle's decision significantly. Michelle consistently beat Sasha most of the time (for whatever reason you want to ascribe.) Michelle knew it was time to move on, but maybe she just had to wait until the actual moment of decision to fully realize it.

fairly4

Medalist
to whomever applied Michelle will skate professionally the first time in four years isn't accurate. she retired as an amatuer and she is skating as an amateur,
if that is the case Than Sasha Has skated since 2006 As a Professional (despite by okay by the ufsa) by Skating in shows. SOI< Disson Skating shows,
Michelle Is not a professional. unless the USFSA Didn't HELP her out as usual

By my standards Sasha is a Professional, as well as all the other skaters, Evan, Tanith & ben, Johnny etc who has skated on IMg shows and disson shows..

Sasha is a pro.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
I was just wondering if Michelle thought that Sasha had said yes to coming back and only 2 spots available for Olympics that it would be tough or not worth her coming back.

I was wondering if things might have been different if Sasha did not comeback and there were 3 vacant spots.

I know Michelle did not think along those lines as she is a woman of great intellect and it was important to her to find a future career but just wondering if those things above helped in her decision.

It is a shame she is not competing one last time as it would have been great to see her against the current crop of champions but I am glad she followed her heart and in my opinion is doing the right thing.

ok, that is just ridiculous. Kwan's decision had nothing to do with Sasha. Besides, Sasha is not a shoe-in for the Olympic team. I definitely don't think Kwan considers Sasha a threat. Kwan is intelligent enough to know where she stands today if she were to face the likes of Kim & Asada. And she made a good decision. It had nothing to do with that Miss Sasha.

Last edited:
Kwan had a skating career that many of us will remember for generations--as people remember the career of Janet Lynn. Lynn skated at a time when most of the jumps were doubles, and yet if you watch her on YouTube, you still feel the poetry of her motion. It will be the same with Kwan. I will miss her skating. But I still think she got out at the right time.

Think about it this way: To one side, she has to go compete in sectionals and regionals and whatnot, with judges younger than she grading the quality of her jumps and comparing her to thirteen-year-olds who haven't reached a height of five feet yet. Then on the other side, two of the most powerful, pathfinding women in American history have personally approached her one by one and said, "Hello, Ms. Kwan, how would you like to join our team?"

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Think about it this way: To one side, she has to go compete in sectionals and regionals and whatnot, with judges younger than she grading the quality of her jumps and comparing her to thirteen-year-olds who haven't reached a height of five feet yet.

Not nessecarily. If she competed in the GP, which she would have surley done if she wanted to return, she could have bypassed the qualifying events.

life after skating

Many athletes, especially champions, look back on their sports careers as the greatest time in their lives. Sadly, this peak era comes at a very early age...sometimes while the athlete is still a teen. That's one reason it's especially satisfying to watch a sports star move on to achievements that are as meaningful as the early triumphs. I love thinking about doctors like Debi Thomas, or humanitarians like Kenyan track star Kip Keino--or even enduring performers such as Kurt Browning (who for my money has contributed even more to the sport as a pro than he did as a national competitor). By contrast, it's painful to watch someone like Tara Lipinski, who seems never to have moved beyond "aspiring actress," and never even attended college. That's why seeing Michelle move toward such a splendid future is a treat. She gave us more than a decade of stirring skating, and now it seems as though she has found something that will enable her to walk away from it with a peaceful heart. Really, how much better does it get than this?