Patrick Chan Landing the Quad | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Landing the Quad

skatingbc

Final Flight
Amazing. It looks like he has been landing it his whole life. He'll be unstoppable with a clean program, IMO.

merrybari

Final Flight
Let's don't count our chickens just yet. One landing does not consistent nor competition ready make. Good for him he's trying it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Landing a quad in isolation in practice is one thing. Landing the quad in context within a program is another thing entirely. At Liberty, Chan didn't land the quad in the program, or the 3A either, for that matter.

merrybari

Final Flight
Landing a quad in isolation in practice is one thing. Landing the quad in context within a program is another thing entirely. At Liberty, Chan didn't land the quad in the program, or the 3A either, for that matter.

:agree:

i love to skate

Medalist

No one is disputing that fact that practice is different than competition. However, it is the first video of Patrick landing a quad that has been seen. I was curious to see what the jump would look like and it a great jump for him as he has fabulous technique on it. Yes, Patrick had a bad skate at Liberty - everyone knows it.

Sackie

Medalist
Last year posters were slamming Patrick because he was not even trying a Quad and did not have one planned in his program. Now this year he is practising one and plans to include it in his program and he is still getting slammed. I wonder why that is - oh wait of course I know he's Canadian! Just once I would love to see a certain poster say something nice about a Canadian skater. Guess they forget that some of the more recent Olympic medalist from the US have Canadian roots!

skatingbc

Final Flight
That quad was amazing though. It doesn't look like the shaky quad that a skater who has just started to land it has. It had speed, good flow and good height. Yeah, landing a quad in a program is definitely different than in practice or warm-up. I'm just excited because that was the first time I've seen him do one and what an amazing one at that!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Well done Chan....your first quad on youtube :rock:

Why so negative. He landed it in warm-up in front of an audience. I thought we were hoping for lots of quads at olympics, not just from our favorite skaters. So...be happy for everone who tries. Go Patrick :thumbsup:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Okay, that was seriously good. I guess he is like Lambiel who can land monster quads but still struggle with the axel.

Let's try not to get overexcited though. Johnny has been landing perfect quads in combonation for years but has yet to land a good one in competition. Skating at your first olympics in your home country....let's see if he can do anything close to that there.

i love to skate

Medalist
That quad was amazing though. It doesn't look like the shaky quad that a skater who has just started to land it has. It had speed, good flow and good height. Yeah, landing a quad in a program is definitely different than in practice or warm-up. I'm just excited because that was the first time I've seen him do one and what an amazing one at that!

Exactly! That quad was absolutely picture perfect: awesome speed going in, no hesitation, fluid take-of, nice height, tight rotation, clean landing along with loads of speed. This definitely would receive high positive GOE if he did it like that during competition. Let's cross our fingers skatingbc :thumbsup:

i love to skate

Medalist
Okay, that was seriously good. I guess he is like Lambiel who can land monster quads but still struggle with the axel.

Let's try not to get overexcited though. Johnny has been landing perfect quads in combonation for years but has yet to land a good one in competition. Skating at your first olympics in your home country....let's see if he can do anything close to that there.

I would say Patrick's triple axel is much more consistent than Lambiel's. Lambiel has been on the World scene for much longer than Patrick and has never had a steady axel.

I don't think anything is wrong with Patrick's fans getting excited about his progress. We have whole threads praising Caroline Zhang and Sasha Cohen and getting excited about everything they do. Patrick achieved a great feat in his competitive career....I say cheer away!

Medusa

Record Breaker
Last year posters were slamming Patrick because he was not even trying a Quad and did not have one planned in his program. Now this year he is practising one and plans to include it in his program and he is still getting slammed. I wonder why that is - oh wait of course I know he's Canadian! Just once I would love to see a certain poster say something nice about a Canadian skater. Guess they forget that some of the more recent Olympic medalist from the US have Canadian roots!
Nobody slammed Patrick in this thread. And lots of posters here don't even want to see a Quad and never accused him of cowardice. I want to see a Quad and already commented in the Liberty thread on his good attempt in the actual program.

What people are pointing out here is that there are amazing videos out there of Johnny Weir landing perfect Quads and 4-3-2s in practise - but now the guy is 25 and we still haven't seen a clean Quad in competition. Same goes for Oda, who landed his first clean Quad at these Worlds, but there have been great practise videos of him landing great Quads since 2006.

But yeah, several people are a bit chansitive these days. That has a lot to do with him getting massively overmarked at at least two competitions the past season (at least Plushenko was landing 3As and Quads while being badly overmarked). Comments like this one aren't really helpful either - gushing and hyping is often a turn-off for some:
Amazing. It looks like he has been landing it his whole life. He'll be unstoppable with a clean program, IMO.

And I am also amazed, and not in a good way, by the amount of articles about Chan that talk non-stop about how great he is, how superior his skating is, how intricate his choreography, how fantastic his transitions, how brilliant his spins (that to me are only above average, not even half as good as e.g. Abbott's or back then Buttle's spins) how cute and normal and what a great person he is. It all sounds like propaganda. At some point people will believe it.

I just want Joubert to come out of hiding (it's always so quiet around Joubert during the off-season) and make some propaganda for himself - or he might have lost the battle for Vancouver before it has even begun. He needs to put his face out there, get some audiences swooning (he is real good at that), have some gushing articles written about him.

i love to skate

Medalist
And I am also amazed, and not in a good way, by the amount of articles about Chan that talk non-stop about how great he is, how superior his skating is, how intricate his choreography, how fantastic his transitions, how brilliant his spins (that to me are only above average, not even half as good as e.g. Abbott's or back then Buttle's spins) how cute and normal and what a great person he is. It all sounds like propaganda. At some point people will believe it.

I just want Joubert to come out of hiding (it's always so quiet around Joubert during the off-season) and make some propaganda for himself - or he might have lost the battle for Vancouver before it has even begun. He needs to put his face out there, get some audiences swooning (he is real good at that), have some gushing articles written about him.

Medusa, if the articles bother you...don't read them. They are mostly Canadian articles written and posted on CTV Olympics site. Of course they are going to praise Patrick. Most of us here in Canada are excited about the Olympics and our medal hopefuls...which include Patrick.

Maybe it only seems like propaganda to you because Patrick is the biggest threat to your favorites. Therefore, you don't want to believe it. As for people being chan-sensitive you are anti-chan. How is that any better?

Medusa

Record Breaker
Medusa, if the articles bother you...don't read them. They are mostly Canadian articles written and posted on CTV Olympics site. Of course they are going to praise Patrick. Most of us here in Canada are excited about the Olympics and our medal hopefuls...which include Patrick.

Maybe it only seems like propaganda to you because Patrick is the biggest threat to your favorites. Therefore, you don't want to believe it. As for people being chan-sensitive you are anti-chan. How is that any better?
I also mean icenetwork, not just Canadian stuff.

Thing is, I got many favourites. Yeah, right now I am a bit focussed on the Zebra, but that's because he just announced his return. In fact, I got so many favourites in men's skating, that the list of my non-favourites is very short. I want to see a fair competition and at the end of the day the best man wins. And if Chan gets overscored like he was at Skate Canada and World Team Troply - I am not really sure it's going to be fair.

But this is not just about Chan, I can show you me commenting on an overmarked Takahashi after 4CC 2008 and also me commenting on Lambiel being horribly gifted in the first half of the 07/08 season, where he fell about three times each program and completed about 4 clean Triples each program. I also hate Kim getting huge positive GOEs on her really mediocre spins and average spiral sequence. Chan should have never beaten Joubert on the free program at the WTT, that was just wrong - if this is supposed to be a sport and not a pageant concentrating on transitions and cuteness, than that kind of thing is just wrong. Just as it was wrong that Lambiel beat Kozuka at the Cup or Russia 2007.

And "i love to skate", if Lambiel wins anything significant at Euros / Olympics / Worlds 2010 over better performances with Chan's jump content of WTT or Skate Canada 2008 - and I don't protest loudly - I hereby give you permission to slap me - hard.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I would say Patrick's triple axel is much more consistent than Lambiel's. Lambiel has been on the World scene for much longer than Patrick and has never had a steady axel.

For sure. Patrick does land the axel most of the time, and usually excellently. Lambiel on the other hand rarley attempted it in the last year or so. I don't remeber the last time had actually went for it and landed it clean.

i love to skate

Medalist
Thing is, I got many favourites. Yeah, right now I am a bit focussed on the Zebra, but that's because he just announced his return. In fact, I got so many favourites in men's skating, that the list of my non-favourites is very short. I want to see a fair competition and at the end of the day the best man wins. And if Chan gets overscored like he was at Skate Canada and World Team Troply - I am not really sure it's going to be fair.

I agree he was overstored at Skate Canada but World Team Trophy was little more than a fluff competition. I don't think it holds as much weight as a Grand Prix event.

And "i love to skate", if Lambiel wins anything significant at Euros / Olympics / Worlds 2010 over better performances with Chan's jump content of WTT or Skate Canada 2008 - and I don't protest loudly - I hereby give you permission to slap me - hard.

I will hold you to that :laugh:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I agree. He may end up doing well with it in competition, and he may not. After all, we know quite a few skaters have landed quads in practice but have struggled to do so in competition.

Last year posters were slamming Patrick because he was not even trying a Quad and did not have one planned in his program. Now this year he is practising one and plans to include it in his program and he is still getting slammed. I wonder why that is - oh wait of course I know he's Canadian!
Sackie, you got me. I hate all Canadians. It seems that everything's gone wrong since Canada came along*. Every Canadian skater I've ever seen has skated badly and was overmarked all the time and Brian Orser is an awful coach. Also, maple syrup sucks.

I mean, come on. Can people not jump every time posters dare not to be overwhelmingly positive about Canadian skaters? I can guarantee that if there were reports and clips of Plushy landing a quad lutz in practice, or of Stephane finally sorting out his 3A, the response would have been exactly the same. I'm glad most of the Canadian posters here are discussing the issue and not flinging accusations at the rest of us.

* That's from the South Park movie, for those not familiar with it. For the record, I've been to Canada twice, and have met several Canadians I like, even some on figure skating boards - some of whom like Patrick Chan! Also, I like Virtue/Moir, and some of Dube/Davison's programs. D/L were great and I was really sad when they had to WD in Torino. Certainly I'd have preferred them to everyone who did end up on the podium.

This is the best I can do re Joubert. I think he's being deliberately quiet. There are also some clips from the July 23rd EX on dailymotion, or there were a few days ago.

The thing is, you guys did choose to post this on a general skating board. Not Chan's forum. Not a Canadian website. And some of us just aren't as excited about Chan in general, or about him landing a warmup quad (which may have been good; the clip jammed my computer, so I'm inclined to view it in a negative light ;)). Medusa is merely bringing balance to the force (it's movie day for me!). As she noted, she's critical when she feels it's warranted, regardless of who the skater is.

Chan is not the biggest threat to my favorites. He's just the one I enjoy watching the least, and I think if he doesn't medal in 2010 he might end up being truly special as a more mature, and maybe more artistically interesting 23 year old (in Sochi). If that explanation works for you, well, go ahead. But I warn you, Medusa and I probably won't change our minds :).

Oh, and Evan Lysacek was also overscored at the WTT.

i love to skate

Medalist
The thing is, you guys did choose to post this on a general skating board. Not Chan's forum. Not a Canadian website. And some of us just aren't as excited about Chan in general, or about him landing a warmup quad (which may have been good; the clip jammed my computer, so I'm inclined to view it in a negative light ;)). Medusa is merely bringing balance to the force (it's movie day for me!). As she noted, she's critical when she feels it's warranted, regardless of who the skater is.

Post what on this board? Why do people take issue with me posting a clip of Patrick landing the quad? I was curious about what it would look like and how he was progressing with it - as others I'm sure were too.

We have entire threads on Caroline Zhang's season, Sasha's comeback, Lambiel's comeback. Hell there is even a thread devoted to Yu-Na's music selection. Those are all fine but watch out when something is posted about Patrick!!

BTW, there isn't much balance in those threads and I don't see one post here where people were going over the top. It was a gorgeous jump - that's the truth.

But I warn you, Medusa and I probably won't change our minds :)
That's fine, nobody expects you to. But don't expect Patrick's fans to change their minds either or chastise them for getting excited about his season.