LP: Concerto in F composed by George Gershwin
(from Allegro + Allegro agitato)

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight
SP: 007 second theme song
LP: Concerto in F is a composition by George Gershwin

??!!!!!
Ok, this IS surprising. I expected something like Tchikovsky or Beethoven or... or Grieg! I have to confess I didn't even know Gershwin composed piano concerto!:p
Wow! I really can't wait to see these!!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Concerto in F is actually what is commonly called Rhapsody in Blue.
No, they are two different pieces: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concerto_in_F_(Gershwin)
Concerto in F is a composition by George Gershwin for solo piano and orchestra which is closer in form to a traditional concerto than the earlier jazz-influenced Rhapsody in Blue. It was written in 1925 on a commission from the conductor and director Walter Damrosch.
The concerto is in the traditional three movements:

Allegro
Adagio - Andante con moto
Allegro agitato
I think it's great skating music! :)

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight

Are you sure...? I tried Concerto in F in youtube and yes, there were some similarities(probably because both were composed by Gershwin) but they were very different.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

That is so funny! Evan and Yu-na really did switch music. Maybe she will wear a tux and he will wear a red sequined outfit :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

In all seriousness, I think that is great music for her, surprising because I thought she would be doing something more dramatic,like Mao's Freeskate and Gershwin has such a light side.

I am trying not to say anything mean until I hear the cuts for her short, but really? 007? That is so Brian Joubert trying to be macho. Not lovely, elegant, graceful sexy yu-na. Please say it is not this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii1tc493bZM

Daniel5555

On the Ice
I can hardly describe how much I was surprised when I heard about this music.
I guess, no one expected this...

Tinymavy15
I am trying not to say anything mean until I hear the cuts for her short, but really? 007? That is so Brian Joubert trying to be macho. Not lovely, elegant, graceful sexy yu-na. Please say it is not this:
As I know, that won't be any specific theme in particular, but some composition of various themes from different movies. That has to be dynamic somehow, as much, as the Danse Macabre was.

kandidy

Final Flight
Who would have guess her choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very rare peice of music for Olympic season.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well obviously I blew that call! ROFL. I had a friend give me that info, but it was one of several selections on a Gershwin CD entitled "Rhapsody in Blue" so after listening to several versions of Concerto in F on YouTube, I recognize the piece. Emily Hughes used it at 2005 nationals.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I think Yu-Na's music is a nice surprise, especially since I was expecting (and dreading) Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2.

I'm quite looking forward to the sensual James Bond medley.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I had expected something more feminine, ice-princess music, like her LP last season. But it seems a lot more interesting than typical music like Miss Saigon.
I guess Wilson wanted to make very unique, artistic pieces with more contemporary twists. The TAT team is very classical so that it may be a nice contrast. I only hope that it wouldn't be too difficult as Jeff's original LP for the Olympic season.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Wow, I am pleasantly surprised. Quite bold choices and change of style for the Olympic year. But, I'm very happy with the unique selections. I was so expecting Swan Lake or God knows another War-Horse Snoozer.

James Bond will fit nicely as a SP.

Her Concerto in F, is a excellent music choice, however whether she can pull it off or not is the question. Does she have the personality for it? Jazz nuances?

Remember, this Piece is not as "Easy" to skate to as Rhapsody in Blue in my opinion. It's a very rhythmic number, with many jazz undertones.

Remember Emily Hughes SP for Torino Olympics? She uses the most famous cuts from the concerto. That in itself was a well-structured, decent program by Emily, so we'll see how Kim will do with it.

cosmos

On the Ice
I guess Wilson wanted to make very unique, artistic pieces with more contemporary twists. The TAT team is very classical so that it may be a nice contrast. I only hope that it wouldn't be too difficult as Jeff's original LP for the Olympic season.

Anglo contemporary vs. Russian classical?

SusieH

On the Ice

Exactly what I thought! (And wow, my source turns out to be right. I heard of this rumor as early as the late June). I remember my first reaction was like: "why does Yuna want to snatch away Joubert's music? Hmm, must be something wrong." I guess I always have a soft spot for the classical, ethereal, the-Lark-Ascending Yuna so I wasn't very keen on this 007 idea at first. But as I have had some time to digest this information, it has gradually grown on me. This should be a dynamic piece, and it can offer a lot of oppurutnies for the skater to "act" and "perform," that is, to be dramatic, which is Yuna's strong suit.

Besides, the music is seldom done by women in competitions (are there any? I know Debi Thomas and Joannie Rochette skated to 007-related music at exhibitions) and so is pretty original and should be fun and refreshing to see.

(The same goes with Evan. I think it's good for a change to see a man skating to Scheherazade!)

Anyway, I'm her fan. A fan is supposed to be hopeful, optimistic, and supportive when it comes to music choices! :rock:

I'm pleasantly surprised that her LP music turns out to be Gershwin's concerto :)

ETA: OMG, one of the 007 medley selection is "From Russia with Love"? I hate that CHEESY song!!!!! :scowl:
OK, I'm a fan, supposed to be hopeful, optimistic, and supportive... Please, please keep that "Russia" part as short as possible.

Last edited:

jaws12345

Match Penalty
Some gutsy choices there. I am really curious about how Wilson's touch on the 007 music would turn out.

adamlondon

On the Ice
omg what a disastrous choice! james bond medley is so unfeminine and can't see it becoming a masterpiece like danse macabre. or tango de roxanne. she would do so much better to go to something classical.

when i saw rachel flatt skate to jazzy type music i thought it was rather boring because it all sort of continues on with no real phrasing and character. most of the music cannot really be remembered in tunes.

both risky for olympics- i hope she changes the sp at least.