Yu-Na Kim's programs unveiled | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim's programs unveiled

Buttercup

Record Breaker
omg what a disastrous choice! james bond medley is so unfeminine and can't see it becoming a masterpiece like danse macabre. or tango de roxanne. she would do so much better to go to something classical.
Only classical music is feminine? Huh? Why should femininity be limited only to specific things? Plenty of very feminine actresses have done Bond movies, including some who had pretty strong parts. She can use some of the theme songs, there have been a few really good ones over the years (not From Russia With Love, though, ugh).

I love this choice. It's different from most of the other ladies, she can do something edgier, more powerful and dramatic. I'm finally looking forward to a lady's program precisely because it's not tinkly piano music and a pastel dress. I really want to see what Kim and Wilson do with it.

I only feel sorry for Tamar Katz, who's also skating to the Gershwin concerto for the LP. I hope she'll do a good job, but it's not a comparison that will do her any good.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Only classical music is feminine? Huh? Why should femininity be limited only to specific things? Plenty of very feminine actresses have done Bond movies, including some who had pretty strong parts. She can use some of the theme songs, there have been a few really good ones over the years (not From Russia With Love, though, ugh).

I love this choice. It's different from most of the other ladies, she can do something edgier, more powerful and dramatic. I'm finally looking forward to a lady's program precisely because it's not tinkly piano music and a pastel dress. I really want to see what Kim and Wilson do with it.

:clap: Agreed! I think it's great that she's chosen something so different from the other ladies. And to those thinking it's not feminine....are you nuts? Bond films are just as noted for their "bond girls" who are more often than not hugely strong characters. I just hope that she doesn't get "007" printed on the back of her costume :biggrin:;)

Ant

SusieH

On the Ice
:clap: Agreed! I think it's great that she's chosen something so different from the other ladies. And to those thinking it's not feminine....are you nuts? Bond films are just as noted for their "bond girls" who are more often than not hugely strong characters. I just hope that she doesn't get "007" printed on the back of her costume :biggrin:;)

Ant
or on the front, which is what Joubert did with his :biggrin:

And it is not necessary for her to become a femme fatale kind of Bond's girl. She can be James Bond, a cool spy/hard-boiled detective. In fact, she can play both or more roles in that piece: masculine, feminine, and androgenous. I hope they can use this somewhat unconventional piece to explore a lot of different possibilities. It should be fun.

Is there a possibility for her to skate in pants? Judging from her exhibition programs, think she looks very beautiful in pants. I also think Irina Slutskaya and Carolina Kostner look simply stunning in pants. Seriously, there should be more women skating in pants.

It seems I'm into this 007 idea more and more. Really look forward to seeing her new programs :yes:

antmanb

Record Breaker
or on the front, which is what Joubert did with his :biggrin:

Trust me to go and get it wrong!! I think i was thinking of Kevin VDP's "Exit" which was on the back of his costume! :laugh:

And it is not necessary for her to become a femme fatale kind of Bond's girl. She can be James Bond, a cool spy/hard-boiled detective. In fact, she can play both or more roles in that piece: masculine, feminine, and androgenous. I hope they can use this somewhat unconventional piece to explore a lot of different possibilities. It should be fun.

Oh absolutely! I think this could show a whole new side of Yuna and personally I can't wait to see what they've done with it and what they're going to use music-wise.

Is there a possibility for her to skate in pants? Judging from her exhibition programs, think she looks very beautiful in pants. I also think Irina Slutskaya and Carolina Kostner look simply stunning in pants. Seriously, there should be more women skating in pants.

I agree she should skate in pants. Don't forget Fumie Suguri also looked stunning in her pants/corset get up for an SP a few years back.

It seems I'm into this 007 idea more and more. Really look forward to seeing her new programs :yes:

I agree - for the first time in a really long time i'm looking forward to seeing one of the ladies parogrammes!

Ant

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Trust me to go and get it wrong!! I think i was thinking of Kevin VDP's "Exit" which was on the back of his costume! :laugh:
Joubert had at least two James Bond costumes, he used one with the 007 on the front in 2005-6, but then in 2006-7 it was on the back. So you were right!

And Yu-Na should certainly wear pants, it'll look great. I can't believe you called them pants, though. V. surprising! :laugh:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I applaud Yu-Na for daring to be bold and different. :clap: What a far range of music these selections are in comparison to what she has skated to in the past. There are those who are considered seasoned veterans of the sport who have been performing much longer than Kim and have not stretched their musical versatility much at all. I love to see the skaters take on new personas on the ice and I really look forward to seeing Yu-Na's transformation. :love::rock:

I really like the pants idea too! Irina, Fumie, Carolina, and Joannie all looked stunning and cool in their pant suits. Very femme fatale! :cool:

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
And Yu-Na should certainly wear pants, it'll look great. I can't believe you called them pants, though. V. surprising! :laugh:

:laugh: I thought i'd go with it rather than write tons of paragraphs explaining why i hadn't used it!

Ant

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Hmm I can't say I'm a big fan of her music choices for this season, but I'm sure she'll use them well.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I am surprised! I'm delighted to see that the best lady skater has chosen unusual music ( especially for her SP). This might encourage other lady skaters to try and be creative, just like the guys, rather than stick to the usual stuff.

zephyrskates

On the Ice
Add another person to the surprised bandwagon!
This may explain why her team didn't reveal the music choices earlier. They may have expected a lot of people will be surprised, and would doubt their music selection.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I am pleasantly surprised and can't wait to see the programs. I find the SP choice especially intriguing - 007 Medley. There are so many possibilities: For Your Eyes Only, Live and Let Die, Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, A View To A Kill, Goldeneye are the first that come to my mind.

Concerto in F is a great - we haven't seen Yu-Na skate to this style of music and I can't wait to see her skate to it.

gkelly

Record Breaker

When Debi Thomas did it as a pro, she kept taking off more clothes to reveal different aspects of her spy personality, but obviously that wouldn't work in competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrOREXYjUW4

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

so_proud

Rinkside
Wow.

I like the SP and LP music choices:clap:

The costume for SP should not necessarily be pants, IMO. I prefer a dress.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
http://spn.edaily.co.kr/sports/newsRead.asp?sub_cd=EB3&newsid=01348086589786664&DirCode=0020300

David Wilson says about Yu-Na's programs

Yu-Na's image in the short program will be dangerous and mysterious Bond girl
Her LP will show her growth. 3 years ago when I met her, she was a shy girl, and now she has become a world star. Her LP will reflect Yu-Na's life as a skater and as a human.
LP becomes dynamical as it progresses. Unlike Miss Saigon with only one theme, the whole progress was reflected in the long program. For Yu-Na, this is the chance to say "This is Yu-Na Kim". This may be used for the Olympics.