Emily Hughes article/skating update | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes article/skating update

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hughes is not the inward type of skater (like Kwan, for instance). I find her style more "outward" and I really prefer that type of skating. She looks happy, looks like she's having fun and it translates to the audience (well, on TV anyway- I have not seen her live).

heyang

Record Breaker
And why so many comments on her weight right off the bat? So much negativity. :-(

If anything, people are complimenting her current appearance. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned that she looked fat before or now.

I know that there were a lot of comments about Sara's weight when she took a year off of school to headline SOI. In 'defense, Sara was out of condition when I saw her on SOI since she was not able to perform to the standards of the show. Also, Sara had really poor posture in her shoulders which is not attractive in pictures and can detract from a person's general appearance (I constatnly have to remind myself to straighten up and pull back my shoulders, especially after a long day/week of work.)

I do agree that there is a lot of negativity with regards to her chances of making a comeback.

Hughes is not the inward type of skater (like Kwan, for instance). I find her style more "outward" and I really prefer that type of skating. She looks happy, looks like she's having fun and it translates to the audience (well, on TV anyway- I have not seen her live).

I feel both are outward since they reach the audience. As s omeone else put it, Emily is more 'ta-da' as she completes each major element.

For me, Sasha has been more inward. Sometimes you feel as though there's a veil between her and the audience. That its' about 'acting' vs 'emoting'. JMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I feel both are outward since they reach the audience. As s omeone else put it, Emily is more 'ta-da' as she completes each major element.

For me, Sasha has been more inward. Sometimes you feel as though there's a veil between her and the audience. That its' about 'acting' vs 'emoting'. JMHO.

Cohen is extremely reserved- the complete opposite of someone like Hughes. That's why I never really enjoyed her much.

I like skaters that exude good feelings. MK was always more of a "float with me" type of skater IMO, I think that's the difference I see.

isk82

On the Ice
What I like about Emily's skating is that her style is more classical. By that I mean, not so cluttered with crazy arms and a zillion steps between crossovers. I know that's what gets points now, but it's not necessarily what I enjoy watching. I wish her the best in her comeback attempt. As was said above, I hope she has that skate that she's looking for. That's what really matters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure Emily's skating has improved since those videos. It's been reported since then that she has had an ankle injury (again!) and is practicing with her ankle all taped up. She's already passed on two summer competitions for which she'd signed up (Lake Placid Championship and US Collegiates); she's on the entry list for this weekend's Cranberry Open and next week's Moran Memorial, but let's see if she shows up for one of those.

Her main problem over the past two years is that she's been consistently underrotating her jumps. Last season, she pretty much limited her jump repertoire to salchows, toe loops and double axels, but still got gigged for URs. Unless she's completely overhauled her skating technique, I don't see that she has any chance of making the Olympic team. Realistically, even making Nationals is in doubt. She should be able to get through North Atlantic Regionals, but Eastern Sectionals could put an abrupt end to her season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not sure Emily's skating has improved since those videos. It's been reported since then that she has had an ankle injury (again!) and is practicing with her ankle all taped up. She's already passed on two summer competitions for which she'd signed up (Lake Placid Championship and US Collegiates); she's on the entry list for this weekend's Cranberry Open and next week's Moran Memorial, but let's see if she shows up for one of those.

Argh, but that's too bad.

(OT: oh, that's what Wagner was referring to...I wasn't sure what "Moran" was)

[Emily's] main problem over the past two years is that she's been consistently underrotating her jumps. Last season, she pretty much limited her jump repertoire to salchows, toe loops and double axels, but still got gigged for URs. Unless she's completely overhauled her skating technique, I don't see that she has any chance of making the Olympic team. Realistically, even making Nationals is in doubt. She should be able to get through North Atlantic Regionals, but Eastern Sectionals could put an abrupt end to her season.

I agree about the Olympic team. Still, I think it's admirable that she is trying. I think many in her position would have retired long ago.

Simoner119

Rinkside
A bunch of my friends will be at the Cranberry Open this week. If Emily competes I will be interested to hear their account of how she skates.

Emily's Attempt

To my mind, anyone who's brave enough and hardworking enough to try for the podium deserves the opportunity. If he or she can't qualify, it'll be evident soon enough in the judging. And there's always the chance of a surprise. Remember Paul Wylie? (Who also took time off from college to compete, and he eventually finished both Harvard and grad school.) He had never won anything in Seniors--until he got the silver at Albertville.

I've always had a soft spot for the Hughes ladies. They skate as part of a full life that includes getting a good education. They both seem to be good sports, gracious in victory and defeat alike. They're nice people to have around in skating. While Emily's style doesn't move me to tears, she's an appealing skater. What an interesting year it's going to be for U.S. ladies' skating!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Paul Wylie won his Olympic silver the year AFTER he graduated from Harvard, and he didn't attend graduate school until after he had completed his pro career as a figure skater.

If he didn't have success earlier in his eligible career, it was because he was trying to attend college and skate competitively at the same time.

dannyascii

On the Ice
I didn't really get the feeling from the article that the olympic team was her foremost priority. I mean, she just seemed to want to prolong her career, do what she loves, and show people what's she's made of. I mean, Trophee Eric Bombard -would- be a kinda lousy way to go out. If this is what she wants, good for her. I mean, Harvard isn't going anywhere, but she can't be a figure skater forever. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts. I don't think she's got a shot for the team; I don't see her beating Wagner, Nagasu, Zhang or Flatt, but who knows? As long as she's enjoying herself and at peace with her decision, I definitely think she made the right choice.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I didn't really get the feeling from the article that the olympic team was her foremost priority. I mean, she just seemed to want to prolong her career, do what she loves, and show people what's she's made of. I mean, Trophee Eric Bombard -would- be a kinda lousy way to go out. If this is what she wants, good for her. I mean, Harvard isn't going anywhere, but she can't be a figure skater forever.

I agree that a figure skater's career is short lived and if she wants to be anything in this sport she cant put it off for tomorrow. BUt if that was really the case I question why she more or less quit the sport to go to school. Her sister is an Ivy Leauger. She knows how tough the course load is. She knew that finals would fall the same time of year as Nationals and that midterms and the GP would co-encide. But she applied and she got in anyway and good for her. Thousands of young people would die to be in her shoes. If she wanted to come back "for the love of the sport" she would have come back last season. I think she is hoping to make the olympic team. In my opinion it is not worth it....leaving all her classmates and college friends for a tiny chance.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree that a figure skater's career is short lived and if she wants to be anything in this sport she cant put it off for tomorrow. BUt if that was really the case I question why she more or less quit the sport to go to school. Her sister is an Ivy Leauger. She knows how tough the course load is. She knew that finals would fall the same time of year as Nationals and that midterms and the GP would co-encide. But she applied and she got in anyway and good for her. Thousands of young people would die to be in her shoes. If she wanted to come back "for the love of the sport" she would have come back last season. I think she is hoping to make the olympic team. In my opinion it is not worth it....leaving all her classmates and college friends for a tiny chance.

Well, say she doesn't qualify for Nats. That's only one semester out. Not too bad if you think about it.

Even if she does get on the Oly Team, that's one year. Still not too bad.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well, say she doesn't qualify for Nats. That's only one semester out. Not too bad if you think about it.

True. She coudl easily make up those credits in the summer and with additional classes in the years to come.
Even if she does get on the Oly Team, that's one year. Still not too bad.

But if she makes it to Nationals, and then does not make the team she will have wasted her whole Spring Semester.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I, too, believe the ONLY reason why Hughes is taking a year off from Harvard is that she wants to make the Olympic team once again. She doesn't have to come out and say it for that to be true.

Last season she seemed to have totally lost whatever competitive edge she ever had; it's apparently gotten a lot worse since then. As of the beginning of July, Emily wasn't even able to land a decent 2A, which once was her money jump. In two exhibition numbers from early July, Emily attempted four 2As, but landed only one (she fell on the other 3). And the one she landed did not appear to have been fully rotated.

That gives her just 3-4 months to work on her skating before she has to go through Regionals and Sectionals. Surely she knows she's nowhere near being competitive with the top ladies from 2009 Nationals. Is she self-deluded? Or is she just getting bad advice from those close to her.

dewey

Rinkside
I believe Harvard starts spring semester slightly later than other schools, so she could probably work something out to go to Nationals and still do the spring semester.

gold12345

Medalist
But if she makes it to Nationals, and then does not make the team she will have wasted her whole Spring Semester.

If she enjoys training and trying her best to qualify to the Olympics (or whatever her exact goals are... She needs to get to Nationals first), then I don't think she will have wasted any time. All she can ask of herself is to train hard and enjoy the process. College can wait, and it's possible she could be back for Spring Semester anyway, if she really wants to.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She took off from school because the Harvard exam period is the week before Nationals. That was probably part of the reason why she withdrew from the last two Nationals just about a week ahead of time.