Why can't figure skating do this?? | Golden Skate

Why can't figure skating do this??

sillylionlove

Medalist
Here is a story I found today on Yahoo
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090812/ap_en_tv/oly_tv_feud

NBC signs deal to air more live US gymnastics
DALLAS – USA Gymnastics has signed a deal to air its biggest events on NBC and cable partner Universal Sports through 2012.

Wednesday's agreement, combined with domestic and international contracts NBC has with swimming, skating, track and skiing, gives the network the lion's share of the coverage of U.S. teams in five key Olympic sports during a time when the U.S. Olympic Committee is trying to start its own channel.

NBC has televised every Summer Olympics since 1988 and every Winter Olympics since 2002.

USOC officials have heaped praise on NBC for its coverage and support but the relationship hit a snag when the USOC partnered with Comcast to form a new network that is expected to go to air after the Vancouver Olympics.

The Comcast deal came about after negotiations with NBC and Universal broke down.

what I found interesting is that is says skating in this article and I have highlighted that word so does this mean that were are actually going to be seeing all the skating events this season???

coconutpunch

Rinkside
No...? At least not on NBC, that's for sure.

(what exactly is NBC going to air anyway? Skate America, Nats, Olys and Worlds?)

sillylionlove

Medalist
Well I was hoping to see the Grand Prix....but I guess it's a wait and see if Universal will show it.

(what exactly is NBC going to air anyway? Skate America, Nats, Olys and Worlds?)

I think just Skate America, U.S. Nationals and the Olympics. I haven't heard anything about 2010 Worlds.

As for the gymnastics coverage, I note that the agreement is to air "the biggest events" on NBC "and its cable partner Universal Spoprts." I doubt if there will be much more than the Olympics and maybe the Olympic trials in 2012 on network TV.

gold12345

Medalist
I think just Skate America, U.S. Nationals and the Olympics. I haven't heard anything about 2010 Worlds.

As for the gymnastics coverage, I note that the agreement is to air "the biggest events" on NBC "and its cable partner Universal Spoprts." I doubt if there will be much more than the Olympics and maybe the Olympic trials in 2012 on network TV.

For gymnastics, NBC always televises Nationals, Olympic Trials, and the American Cup. They televised some of the most recent Worlds as well. Universal Sports has been gradually adding coverage on top of that, so I really don't have any complaints as far as gymnastics is concerned.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers Universal Sports will get to televise the skating Grand Prix series. Hopefully 2010 Worlds gets on TV too, whether it's on Universal Sports, Oxygen, or wherever. I'd prefer it commentary free on Universal Sports, but I'll take anything. Skating is probably more popular than gymnastics, so it's major competitions really do belong on TV.

Last edited: