Scott Hamilton returns!!!!!! | Golden Skate

Scott Hamilton returns!!!!!!

Antilles

Medalist
Very nice to hear. It sucks when health issues make you stop doing something you'll love. I'm glad he's able to come back.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I actually knew almost nothing about him as a skater. I didn't know that he was an Olympic gold medalist. I have known him only as a good commentator. I also didn't know that he was an American. I somehow thought that he might be Canadian. Anyhow, his commentary has always been exciting and fun. He seems to be a person with a warm heart. His commentary on Midori Ito's last Olympic free skate performance and Lu Chen's FS at her last Olympics are my favorite (Check out YOUTUBE).
I also did not know that he was fighting against cancer. I also just read his bio and learned that he also had a disease as he was growing up.

It's quite amazing that he relearned skating from skating backward! Quite a hero!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Bennett, I had no idea you weren't educated on who Scotty is! :eek: I'm so used to him be part of pop culture and well... kinda my life... he is my "Michelle Kwan"... in that he is the first thing that pops in my mind when I think figure skating. He's the reason I became obsessed with the sport in the first place.

I may not agree with everything he says on NBC (loved his CBS days) but I adore him. He's my sport "idol"/"hero"...

Wow, I wasn't aware that he hasn't skated in 12 years!

no, he went through cancer in 1997 but came back to the sport... he had to quit skating in 200...5 I believe when he battled a brain tumor. that's 4-5 years IIRC... he left SOI (as a skater) in 2001.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Bennett, I had no idea you weren't educated on who Scotty is! :eek: I'm so used to him be part of pop culture and well... kinda my life... he is my "Michelle Kwan"... in that he is the first thing that pops in my mind when I think figure skating. He's the reason I became obsessed with the sport in the first place.

Interesting! But no, I just didn't know him except as a commentator. I certainly have thought that he is such a good guy as he talks. What role has he played in pop culture? As I read Wikipedia, he seems to be a very famous person in the US. How has he been perceived by the general public?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he was the first US man since Dick Button to win a Gold Medal at the olys in men's skating - and he basically rebuilt the show skating scene with SOI (after he got dumped from ice capades because "male skaters don't sell tickets") as well as made sequined jumpsuits a thing of the past (or rather, started that trend... by wearing speed skating "frog suits" which weren't any more flattering, but at least they didn't sparkle for no apparent reason)

though he's really more known for his entertainment value as a pro skater, and his work with cancer research... http://www.scottcares.com & http://www.chemocare.com <--those are his lasting legacy outside of his family...

his story is just inspirational from beginning to end... he was a skater a lot of mens skaters in N. America looked up to (Brian Boitano, Kurt Browning, Paul Wylie all wanted to "be like Scott" and surpass him...)

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Thanks! I realize that I know almost nothing about skaters before 90s. Just their names. But it's nice that some remain active in sports as commentators and coaches.

Is Scott popular among non-skating fans and, if so, in what ways?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't know if I'd call him "popular" but he's known... maybe not as well as he was in the 90s... but he's known as a commentator and an Olympic athlete... he's popular with People Magazine, which helps keep him visible...

he's not Michael Jordan (or even Michelle Kwan) famous, but he isn't a total unknown either.

he also had a cameo appearance in Blades of Glory... and had a cameo in one of Brad Paisley's (country music superstar) music videos... he's well liked by Hollywood (he lived in LA for quite a while)/Nashville (where he lives now)

he was the first US man since Dick Button to win a Gold Medal at the olys in men's skating...

Just goes to show how quickly athletes disappear from memory when they are not in the public eye any more. Hayes Alan Jenkins won the 1956 Olympic gold medal for the U.S. (he later married Carol Heiss), and his brother David Jenkins won in 1960. (Quick -- who won in 1964? That would be Germany's Manfred Schnelldorfer.)

As for famous sports people from Scott Hamilton's competitive days, the winning Super Bowl quarterback in 1984 was Jim Plunkett, and the major league baseball batting champ was Don Mattingly.

I think Scott Hamilton remains quite famous in the category of washed-up jocks. ;) Almost everyone in America knows who he is, knows what sport he excelled at, and even recognizes his face.

But I agree with your assessment that where he really made his lasting mark on the sport is as an entrepreneur. He built Stars on Ice from nothing into the premier show in skating, outlasting Ice Capades, Champions on Ice and the whole ice-entertainment industry. The Terrrific Trio of Scott, Kurt and Kristi -- there will never be anyone else like them!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
when did Button win? according to an A&E biography on Scott they show a photo of Button when they talk about the "long drought" in US men's skating... I mean I know A&E could make a mistake... but I am not old enough to know who came where ;) I can't even keep the Disney movies straight as far as releases in chronological order ...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well it is a long drought from 1960 (David Jenkins) to 1984 (Scott Hamilton) :) That's 24 years, I think.

jcoates

Medalist
I think Button won in 44 and 48, but I'd have to double check to be sure.

Dick won in 48 and 52. No Olympics in 40 and 44 due to WWII. American men in particular, but skaters in general, dominated skating during the post war years winning every 4 straight Olympics and most of the world titles during the 48-60 stretch. The tragic loss of the US team in a plane crash in 61 set back the program for years with few bright spots in the 60 aside from Peggy Flemming (68 Oly gold and 3 world titles), Tim (68 Oly silver and two world titles) and and surprise Oly bronze in 64 by an unheralded Scott Allen. The 70s were an even dryer patch with only Dorothy Hamill winning an Olympics and Linda Fratianne and Janet Lynn coming close but falling short. That's why the 80's and 90's were so big for the US. A heap of champions (Olympic and World) came along and starting with Scott. He was seen as bringing closure to the pain of the loss of US dominance by men's skaters. Of course Boitano then picked up the torch before the recent streak of Russian champions.