Any new talent for Chinese ladies? | Golden Skate

Any new talent for Chinese ladies?

ordinary person

On the Ice
Yu-Na Kim,Mao Asada,Yukari Nakano,i wonder if there are any great female Chinese figure skaters,there are already many Korean and Japanese,but sadly no Chinese ones at the moment,does anyone know if there are?

(it would be funny to see a new Chinese rival against Yu-Na Kim and Mao Asada,Korean vs Japanese vs Chinese)

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Yu-Na Kim,Mao Asada,Yukari Nakano,i wonder if there are any great female Chinese figure skaters,there are already many Korean and Japanese,but sadly no Chinese ones at the moment,does anyone know if there are?

(it would be funny to see a new Chinese rival against Yu-Na Kim and Mao Asada,Korean vs Japanese vs Chinese)

It is a strange, cruel trick of fate that the best Chinese lady skaters seem to be Chinese-American.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Well, there's Bingwa Geng (a junior with lots of potential) and I read somewhere last year that Mingzhu Li was training a bunch of Chinese lady skaters in the US. The lack of Chinese lady skaters may be because of China's successful pairs program--many Chinese ladies are probably being directed towards pairs instead of singles.

Personally, I'd be rather scared if there was another dominant Chinese lady skater added to the current Korean-Japanese rivalry mix...there's quite a bit of bad blood in Asia and the number of annoying uber posts on Youtube and skating forums would probably rise exponentially.

ordinary person

On the Ice
Thanks for the info,sad really,cause chinese have great agility and technique as well as the koreans and japanese.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Is Yan Liu still skating? I remember watching her at the last Olympics and thought she looked quite strong - she had all five triples from memory.

Is she still in skating?

Ant

Medusa

Record Breaker
Is Yan Liu still skating? I remember watching her at the last Olympics and thought she looked quite strong - she had all five triples from memory.

Is she still in skating?
Yes, she is and yes, she has all five Triples, sometimes with an edge warning on the Lutz.

She has two problems - she is very inconsistent, and if she actually produces a good skate, she still gets very low marks, that in my opinion somewhat ignore that she is quite a beautiful skater.

gocaroline

On the Ice
Yes, she is and yes, she has all five Triples, sometimes with an edge warning on the Lutz.

She has two problems - she is very inconsistent, and if she actually produces a good skate, she still gets very low marks, that in my opinion somewhat ignore that she is quite a beautiful skater.

Same here. I find her skating quite beautiful. She is tall but with strong jumps. It puzzles me that her PCS score is very low despite her beautiful skating. Her expression is subtle and understated, maybe that cost her PCS score, but I hope we can have and encourage more variable skating performance, not just high drama performance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I agree when Yan Liu has her jumps under control she moves gracefully and is pleasing to the eye. But is so slow she makes Caroline Zhang look like a speedster, and she isn't particularly expressive. That's why she gets such low marks

shine

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Here's a young skater I really look forward to watching grow over the years (and hopefully will be able to). Li ZiJun placed 2nd behind Liu Yan at the 2009 Chinese Nationals and has VERY promising skating skills. She is one of the three upcoming Chinese girls picked by the federation to train with Li MinZhu. She is still too young to participate in the JGP though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2O9njREr_E&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigJ-gtZGB4

How old is she? She looks very young to even be trying triples. It is hard to say how good she will become, she jumps all looked rather shaky except that last 3 toe.

shine

Record Breaker
She is 12. Last season was the first season she attempted the 3lutz and 3flip. Hopefully she is getting her technique on the jumps cleaned up with Li's help.

ordinary person

On the Ice
I watched both videos,the second one looked a lot better,she seems pretty good,but i noticed Bingwa Geng wasn't that bad either to my surprise.
I also have to add that if you look at wushu or other martial arts chinese girls do they use great speed and jump really high,i know figure skating is different but if they could use that it would be amazing to see.

Jiarry

Rinkside
Xuehan Wang(ten years old ) skates very well, She ranked 8 this April ,in Chinese National Games. Her program includes 3S and 3T.

feraina

Record Breaker
Wow, Xuehan Wang is so cute and so good! :)

Her SP at National's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_TJVRgIRY&feature=related

But is she 10 or 11? An older video from April 2006 said she was 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0L9ashpp0&feature=related

She is a natural performer: great lines, presence, musicality, and audience connection. Great spins and spirals. And pretty good 3T in the SP, too bad about the fall on the 2T. Is there a video of her LP? She reminds me of a young Yu-na, very expressive. And strong/fast for a 10-year-old.

The commentators said she's a 5th-grader (again making me think she must be 11, as kids start school at 6 in China, or is she a genius at school too?). They said she goes to a normal elementary school during the day and skates at night, and that she told the reporters that she's here (at the competition) to take away some valuable experience, and she would be happy to skate what she's capable of. Very mature-sounding! The commentators also said that she excels in calligraphy, drawing/painting, and singing as well.

Is she going to be old enough for Sochi? Can anyone check out her exact age?