Finlandia Trophy 2003 photos | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy 2003 photos

Jaana - These pictures are sooo good! Are you a professional photographer? If not, think about it. And thank you for sharing them with us.

I see the TT influence in Johnny's costume. I'm glad he's not using another blouse. The jacket - a bit to ornate for my taste - fits perfectly and will not interfere with his skating.

Chiper is good looking and looks like he could tear up the ice and win.

I'm rushing off to the dentist. Will check out the ladies when I get back. I want to see how Poykio looks.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:
Jaana - These pictures are sooo good! Are you a professional photographer? If not, think about it. And thank you for sharing them with us.

Thanks, Joesitz! Not a professional photographer at all, always having problems with focusing on my manual camera, LOL. This time though the colours look better as I used the 800 film.

Joesitz said:
I see the TT influence in Johnny's costume. I'm glad he's not using another blouse. The jacket - a bit to ornate for my taste - fits perfectly and will not interfere with his skating..[/B]

LOL, actually I heard that Johnny has designed the costumes by himself. I agree with you, they could be those by Tarasova designers...

Joesitz said:
Chiper is good looking and looks like he could tear up the ice and win...[/B]

Yes, he was skating with great enthusiasm. Did the only quad. Otherwise lots of skating fans thought that Johnny should have won.

Joesitz said:
I'm rushing off to the dentist. Will check out the ladies when I get back. I want to see how Poykio looks.
..[/B]

Unfortunately the ones of Pöykiö look real blurry... She had a wonderful short programme and free skate. I was so much concentrating on watching her that I forgot to take more photos...

I hope you survive the dentist..., LOL?

Marjaana

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Jaana,

Excellent photos. I was thinking the same thing as Joe - are these professional?

Interesting costumes. I didn't recognize all the faces, but costume-wise, it's a mix of lovely and perfectly hideous!

Thanks for the link.
tharrtell

lavender

Record Breaker
Besides Angela's double jumps did anyone enjoy the concept of her programs? Are the details nice. I mean if she doesn't do well in regionals or something we may not get to see Angela come Nationals.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Lavender, I liked Angela´s skating style and programmes. A pity that she was not able to jump triples yet, but I think that later she could compete with these programmes very well.

Marjaana

mpal2

Final Flight
I find myself loving and hating Angela's dress, but I don't know which one yet.

OTOH, I'm looking forward to Hinzman and Parchem.

Thanks for the pictures!

lavender

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
Lavender, I liked Angela´s skating style and programmes. A pity that she was not able to jump triples yet, but I think that later she could compete with these programmes very well.

Marjaana

Thanks Jaana. Did the program have some new touches to it?

Nadine

Record Breaker
WOW, great photos Jaana (no lie)! :eek:

I agree with those that think you are a professional photographer ~ superb pics [two thumbs up] :love:

A few comments &/or questions, if you will...

PAGE 1

Which one is Chiper??? The winner from (ROM).....am anxious to identify him......thanks in advance. :)^)

PAGE 2

lol, Weir looks as effeminate as ever (btw he's always reminded me of Angela Nikodinov in terms of looks).....such a pretty boy......reminds me of Lestat in "Interview with the Vampire".

Nikodinov looks as lovely as ever ~ Giselle suits her to perfection ~ especially that pose where she reminds me of a doe ready to flee, but first must take one last coquettish look over her right shoulder (btw my hat goes off to you, Jaana, for capturing the essence of Angela IMHO; no lie; it's my favorite). :)^)

hmm, are those Poykio's pics in front of Drei??? Interesting.

Whoa, Drei seems ready to punch somebody! (8^O But then I suppose that's just the way she looks, at least to me she always has (lol). (;^)

I see Kostner is still all legs & arms, but then so were two of my all-time favorites (aka Baiul & Hughes) at one time ~ love that bambi look (lol). :)^D

***Note: whose that lady next to Kostner??? And I do mean lady, she appears older than the rest. JMHO.***

OMG, who is that young girl at the very end? She appears so full of life & effervescence! Love it! Looks like she's the only one having a good time ~ could it be McCorkell!?

PAGE 3

Is that Manzano at the very top of the page? If so, CONGRATS to her for being the grande dame of the competition and placing on the podium over mucher younger ones. GOOOOO WARHORSES! [two thumbs way up]

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! Thank you soooo very much, Jaana, for my first look at Hinzmann & Parchem as a pair! LOVE IT (no lie). Can't decide which pair was more aesthetically gorgeous - Kalesavich & Parchem or Hinzmann & Parchem - it's a tie. Though I did/do think that K&P were more like Ken & Barbie, whereas H&P come across to me as more of a pair in terms of two halves of a perfect whole (Dick Button's words btw). And this type of pair has always been my favorite type (no lie)......aka same coloring, similar build, look more like brother & sister........such as G&G, A&B, P&P, etc.

Peace & Love, Nadine

ladybug

On the Ice
Great job on the photos Jaana. The skaters look like they were posing for you.

Nice to see so many up and comers that we don't normally get to see. Thanks!

Ladybug

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
lavender said:
Thanks Jaana. Did the program have some new touches to it?

I´m sorry, but I really don´t know. I have not seen anything from her skating for a long time.

Nadine´s questions:

>Which one is Chiper??? The winner from (ROM).....am anxious to identify him......thanks in advance.>

Nadine, Chiper is on the second row (first page). You can see the skater´s names if you put the mouse on the photo in question.

>hmm, are those Poykio's pics in front of Drei??? Interesting.>

No, it is Annette Dytrt from GER.

>***Note: whose that lady next to Kostner??? And I do mean lady, she appears older than the rest. JMHO.***>

She is Olga Vasiljeva from EST and will be 26 this month.

>OMG, who is that young girl at the very end? She appears so full of life & effervescence! Love it! Looks like she's the only one having a good time ~ could it be McCorkell!?>

Yes, you are right, that is she.

>Is that Manzano at the very top of the page? >

Yes, she is Manzano. I was very glad for her that she got on the podium

Marjaana

Last edited:
Another gushing review of your photos from me, Jaana! Such great positions, so well framed, such crisp, bright colors. I've never tried photographing figure skating--I can't help but watch!--but have played around just for fun with other movement photos (runners, for example) and high-speed film is the only way to go. Really, really love these! Thanks so much for posting them. No matter how she skated, Angela sure looks stunning.
Rgirl

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
>Idleracer
I've never seen her dressed in black before. What a BABE >

>Rgirl,
No matter how she skated, Angela sure looks stunning.>

Yes, Angela looked stunning and she expressed great feeling and elegance on the ice. Her skating is very enjoyable, the lack of successful jumping did not matter to me. For her sake I wish that she is going to jump triples soon. I understood that she has been practicing the jumping during a couple of weeks only.

Marjaana

Last edited:
Up with the crows this morning. checked out the remaining pics and Jaana = absolutely superb! I feel I missed a major competition.

Two of the dance or pair teams did not have names. One couple looked like they were doing Saturday Night Fever. Do you know who they were?

Angela looking so elegant; Derrick looking so Othello; Lindsey Weber quite pretty; Poykio looking fine; Carolina with the longest legs in the world; The Bulgarians looking like GOLD.

Jaana - Will you be at Euros?

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:
Two of the dance or pair teams did not have names. One couple looked like they were doing Saturday Night Fever. Do you know who they were?

Unfortunately I was not able to take photos of all dance pairs, so I kind of lost count who was who, LOL. Those could have been Polish dance pairs, as there were three of them. I had decided not to take many photos of ice dancers and pairs as they are even more difficult to catch inside the frame than the singles. That is why there are not many of them and from pairs only Hinzmann & Parchem. They were really wonderful in short programme, so I decided to try to take some of their free skate.

Jaana - Will you be at Euros? Joe

Joesitz, I´m afraid that I have to wait until the Euros will be in Finland again...

Marjaana

Last edited:

diver chick

On the Ice
Great photos thanks.

Some of the costumes, particularly the ladies are looking really good this year!

Can't wait to see Jenna and that tourquoise colour really looks good on Susanna