Golden West (Sept. 3-6 in Culver City, CA) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Golden West (Sept. 3-6 in Culver City, CA)

cornell08

Final Flight
I'm sure Racheal Flatt beat Mirai and caroline to get first place no doubt,amazing how she skates,much faster than caroline might i say.

Umm Rachael is probably the second slowest after Caroline of the elite skaters. And Mirai makes both of them look AARP.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well Racheal came out with a vengeance. I can't wait to see their programs. Still a low score for Caroline for the free. No falls but she must have had some downgrades. This worries me :/ same goes for Mirar, but she did have a fall.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Well Racheal came out with a vengeance. I can't wait to see their programs. Still a low score for Caroline for the free. No falls but she must have had some downgrades. This worries me :/ same goes for Mirar, but she did have a fall.

Last year, there was a professional video crew at Golden West. I never saw one second of video on YouTube, nor anywhere else. So I think they must have had a no-amateur-video policy in effect.

With a score that low, I have to believe either Caroline is not fully recovered from her torn miniscus in her knee ..... or she has recovered, but is not yet back to full strength. She has a little over a month to get back into form for TEB.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Rachael. I think this score is a personal best for her. I suspect Caroline is not 100%, her knee injury worries me.

Nigel

On the Ice
Umm Rachael is probably the second slowest after Caroline of the elite skaters. And Mirai makes both of them look AARP.

Flatt and Nagasu are on equal terms in terms of speed at this point in the game. That was readily apparent at Culver City on Sat and Sun nights. It is obvious that both skaters have taken feedback from last season and have applied it to their game plan for this season. Flatt has really worked on her presentation and speed and Nagasu has worked on cleaning up jump technique (she was "measured" in her approach to her jumps...gears were obviously cranking for Mirai). Flatt was much more comfortable in her choreography than many of the other skaters.

Video ....yes, there were many many reminders made on the public address system that no one was to video any one but their OWN skater. Hurd video is the official videographer for the event.

Cudos to Flatt and Nagasu. Caroline has much on her plate with France coming up so quickly. :frown:

feraina

Record Breaker
Still a low score for Caroline for the free. No falls but she must have had some downgrades. This worries me :/ same goes for Mirar, but she did have a fall.

I heard she only did a a 3F-2T, stepped out of the solo 3F, and skated through her 3S completely! (Didn't she do that last year at TEB as well?!) So that would perhaps explain her lower score.

Remember that she was injured with miniscus tear for a while, so that might explain why her jumps are not in such good shape right now. But I do worry for her with TEB coming up so soon. :(

Last edited:

ordinary person

On the Ice
Omg,rachel really creamed mirai by almost 18 points,and caroline by 27,i didn't think it would be that much of points between them heh,unbelievable.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Caroline and Mirai were both hampered by injuries. I am hoping they are recovered, but just haven't gotten back up to full power yet.

fairly4

Medalist
Hammer shammered-- no benefit of doubt for Caroline -miria benefit of doublt held at franks rink--(miria skates_held up-politics us people still feel sorry about what happened during world war ii, politics, racism--caroline wrong descent-

Dorothy-coaches rachel-wanted . rachel supposedly skates like dorothy-not like rachel-want everyone to know rachel is the RIGHT(white )girl they want held up despite mistakes. why-religion politics, skating politics, race and normal politics.
cheated back in the day -still cheat now, with urs, benefit of doubt, steroids, souped up suits, deeper pools, not counted wrong turns, you name it they use it against the ones they don't want up there and caroline isn't one the usfsa, ioc, isu want up there.

gold12345

Medalist
Hammer shammered-- no benefit of doubt for Caroline -miria benefit of doublt held at franks rink--(miria skates_held up-politics us people still feel sorry about what happened during world war ii, politics, racism--caroline wrong descent-

Dorothy-coaches rachel-wanted . rachel supposedly skates like dorothy-not like rachel-want everyone to know rachel is the RIGHT(white )girl they want held up despite mistakes. why-religion politics, skating politics, race and normal politics.
cheated back in the day -still cheat now, with urs, benefit of doubt, steroids, souped up suits, deeper pools, not counted wrong turns, you name it they use it against the ones they don't want up there and caroline isn't one the usfsa, ioc, isu want up there.

:scratch: Yeah, Caroline's jumping errors and painfully slow skating didn't cost her the victory this weekend, her descent did. :rolleye:

From the reports, it sounds as if Rachael clearly skated cleaner than both Mirai and Caroline this weekend (and they all appeared to have attempted similar technical content.) That's probably all there is to it. Sure, we don't really know what their programs look like yet, but none of them have a history of being particularly outstanding in presentation, speed, etc. So this one probably came down to the jumps, and Rachael was more solid.

Last edited:

LeCygne

Final Flight
Also, Rachael had the advantage with this being her second summer competition. I think she didn't do so well at Colorado Championships earlier this summer, similar to what Caroline and Mirai did here at their first competition of the season.

From the few reports we've gotten so far, I am a bit worried for Caroline. Rachael seems like she's in a good place and Mirai did pretty well here, but Caroline seems to be struggling. Looks like coaching changes and the injury have set her back, and there really isn't much time until TEB.

R.D.

Record Breaker
...but Caroline seems to be struggling. Looks like coaching changes and the injury have set her back, and there really isn't much time until TEB.

For her, the concern isn't necessarily recovering for TEB, but trying to peak at Nationals/the Olympic trials, which isn't until the end of January.

I would think struggles right now are understandable since it's still quite early. Obviously, kinks need to be worked out.

Rachel obviously is blessed with being a consistent competitor and she should take advantage of that while she still has her jumps. Hopefully she can incorporate some personality into her skating- because if she gets the presentation, watch out. She's still quite young, though, and I hope she doesn't turn into Meissner 2.0, with early success and then fading into obscurity.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, if I were Zhang, I wouldn't want to mess with the jumps or do serious work on them this close to the Olympic Qualifiers...