Golden West (Sept. 3-6 in Culver City, CA) | Golden Skate

Golden West (Sept. 3-6 in Culver City, CA)

liketotally

On the Ice
Wow. Rachael Flatt, Mirai Nagasu and Caroline Zhang all at the same summer competition! How exciting :biggrin:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Wow. Rachael Flatt, Mirai Nagasu and Caroline Zhang all at the same summer competition! How exciting :biggrin:

The senior ladies' field is loaded for bear. Caroline and Mirai will probably be monitored here. The men's field is not as loaded.

It looks like most of the competitors will be American or Canadian, with a few other nationalities sprinkled in.

EDIT : Mirai and Rachael have official web pages. Neither of them list the Golden West on their schedule. :scratch:

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Caroline might not do it if her knee is not 100%, so that will leave none of the big name ladies. I might go, but probably only if at least one of three show up.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here's the direct link to the roster/groups: http://www.allyearfsc.com/events/GOLDEN_WEST/files/2009GW-Groups.pdf

Many skaters' official sites do not list club (non-qualifying) competitions on their schedule. Being in the Team A envelope, Flatt will have a private monitoring session scheduled at her home rink in September, but has elected to compete this summer anyway (Colorado Championships earlier this month and scheduled for Golden West). Team B envelope skaters Nagasu, Zhang, and Inoue/Baldwin are expected to compete here for "competition readiness" monitoring in preparation for their Grand Prix events. Other envelope skaters like Dennis Phan, Douglas Razzano, and Alexander Johnson are likely competing here for possible Senior B assignments. Laney Diggs is already assigned to a JGP, while Kristiene Gong and the new Jr. pair team of Carman/Reiss are currently listed as JGP alternates for the US.

Two of the Vancouver-based Canadian skaters on the roster -- Kevin Reynolds and Jeremy Ten -- went 1-2 in the Senior Men's event at Golden West last year (Ten went on to make his first World team for Canada).

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
It looks like it will be quite an event. Last year, I read a disturbing report that a third of the audience walked out after Caroline skated her long. As big a fan as I am, I thought that was a very rude audience. :mad: It was like the other skaters didn't matter.

I would like to go, but since I'm in Massachusetts, there are about 3,000 reasons why I can't. :biggrin:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
According to the schedule, the event has started. Maybe we will get a few reports and videos. :rock:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
you and me both :love: I hope we get some videos from the event :bow:

I am sooo sad I will be missing the event. Of course I would schedule a visit out to friends in Florida the exact weekend this is going on:p I dont know where my brain is sometimes. Most of my friends and family would say I leave it on the ice, but not this weekend:laugh:

feraina

Record Breaker
Apparently Caroline skated relatively well. Expressive but still kinda slow, and slow entrance into 2A with a step-out on the landing. The combo may also have been a 3-2. I'm confused by the comments from the FSU poster, who seems to suggest that her combo was 3R-2X, but that would be a really different jump layout for her SP. I don't get it. I guess we will have more exact information from somewhere later. Given the amazing line-up, IN may have a write-up tomorrow. Jenny Kirk is writing reviews about the competition in her blog, too.

Okay, apparently Mirai & Rachael both skated well, too, and also 3-2 combos. Looking forward to the details tomorrow...

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The top 3 are Rachael, Mirai then Caroline.

From the posters at FSU, it looks like Caroline intended a triple flip - double loop combo, but had a shaky landing on the flip. This forced her to tack the loop onto something else, which messed up another required element. Then she had a step-out on her axel. Hence the low score.

Of course, we've seen Caroline make up incredible ground before. :biggrin:

KeineZeite

Rinkside
The top 3 are Rachael, Mirai then Caroline.

From the posters at FSU, it looks like Caroline intended a triple flip - double loop combo, but had a shaky landing on the flip. This forced her to tack the loop onto something else, which messed up another required element. Then she had a step-out on her axel. Hence the low score.

Of course, we've seen Caroline make up incredible ground before. :biggrin:

I have read in the news that Caroline had a knee injury, that's a reason her jump is a bit shaky, isn't it?

I don't know if I can ask this here, but does she quit her relationship with her new coach, Ms. Won and go back to her former coach for some reasons?

I have read in the news that Caroline had a knee injury, that's a reason her jump is a bit shaky, isn't it?

I don't know if I can ask this here, but does she quit her relationship with her new coach, Ms. Won and go back to her former coach for some reasons?

Here is the thread in the Edge where both of these topics is being discussed. :)

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28001

Douglas Razzano did extremely well. He is in the lead.

I'll say! 79 points is a world class score and 20 points above Razzano's previous personal best!