Meissner will be given a bye to 2010 US Nationals | Golden Skate

Meissner will be given a bye to 2010 US Nationals

R.D.

Record Breaker
...from USFS due to the extensive travel involved in her two GP events (Russia, Japan in a two-week period)

From the Baltimore Sun:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/olympics/bal-meissner0821,0,3432169.story

[Kimmie] Meissner, who trains in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is to compete in Moscow in the Cup of Russia on Oct. 22-25, and the NHK Trophy in Nagano, Japan, on Nov. 5-8. U.S. Figure Skating officials granted her a bye because of the short time frame and extensive travel involved.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Yeah I think GP events usually get you out of having to do Regionals or Sectionals... At least I know that's the case with juniors coming onto the senior circuit.

merrybari

Final Flight
As long as they gave her two GP assignments, seems redundant to require her to qualify for Nationals. Will be good to see her there.

I'm glad Kimmie will be in the mix this year. She's not the "savior of American skating" we all hoped she would be, but she's a pleasing skater and seems to be a really nice, hardworking kid, I always love to see someone who's been counted out surprise us--maybe that will happen with her.

Tammi

On the Ice
Yeah I think GP events usually get you out of having to do Regionals or Sectionals... At least I know that's the case with juniors coming onto the senior circuit.
In the US, an international assignment doesn't automatically get skaters out of regionals or sectionals. It's all about the timing of the event. This season, if an international event is within 7 days of the qualifier, the skater gets a bye. In Kimmies situation, there is also a clause about the timing of her two assigned internationals. I'm pretty sure Brandon Mroz was given his byes last season for the same reason.

Some skaters qualify for a bye through regionals, but not sectionals or a bye through sectionals, provided they qualified at the regional event. Last year Emily Hughes had to qualify at regionals, but was given a bye through sectionals.

For this year, the bye situation looks something like this:
  • JGP Germany - regional bye for skaters registered in SA, SW, NWP
  • JGP Croatia & Senior B Finlandia - regional bye for skaters registered in SA, NA, SW, EGL, NWP, CP
  • JGP Turkey & Trophee Bombard - regional bye for all 9 regions
  • Cup of Russia, Senior B Ice Challenge & Cup of China - regional bye for skaters registerd in NA, NE, EGL, UGL, CP, SWP
  • Senior B Golden Spin, NHK Trophy, Skate America, Skate Canada & JGP/GP Final - sectional byes

Tammi

On the Ice
According to the article, does she still have to do the regional?
Regionals was the only qualifier that she would have been required to attend. Provided she placed in the top 4, she would then be given a bye through sectionals because the date of her 2nd assignment would have been within 7 days of sectionals.

Per the article quoted above, USFS has given her a bye through regionals too. She won't have to compete at any US qualifier and will advance directly to Nationals in January.