Watch the JGP from Lake Placid - FREE! | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Watch the JGP from Lake Placid - FREE!

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Poor Manouk. But I feel she didn't give up during her routine. Taylor Firth should smile more.

beep_beep

Medalist
Ahhwww... ((Fujisawa))
Not a really good free skate for her today...
poor thing won't even medal :no:

Last edited:

beep_beep

Medalist
That would make it...
Musademba
Makarova
and... Olsson?

Yes, just confirmed!
Too bad for the girls who couldn't hold up (I hate meltdowns), but that podium made me very happy! :clap:

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
That would make it...
Musademba
Makarova
and... Olsson?

Yep. happy for Olsson she had a good skate. I'm curious to see the protocols on that one for why Olsson's score was what it was. None of these girls are looking like they can beat Shelepen though. I'm curious to see Polina A and Christine Gao, next week.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Yep. happy for Olsson she had a good skate. I'm curious to see the protocols on that one for why Olsson's score was what it was. None of these girls are looking like they can beat Shelepen though. I'm curious to see Polina A and Christine Gao, next week.

Mmh...I prefer the maturity of Kristine to the long legs of Shelepen.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Mmh...I prefer the maturity of Kristine to the long legs of Shelepen.

I prefer Kristine's maturity too, but Kristine scored about 10 points lower than Shelepen due to clearly the jumps. And Polina can get more if she chooses to repeat her loop instead of the flip in the long...

Last edited:

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Yukiko.......No medal:cry:

JSF will not send her to the second competition unless both Kanako and Yuki miss the medal:cry:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I like Makarova better than Leonova. She's much more polished and not as messy.

But I don't think she could beat Alena even in a good day. Alena is much more consistant, she is going to do 3-3 this season and landing 3Lz and 3F (and Ksenia doesn't, maybe just yet, but...)

Question: will Doronina return?

Yes, she will.

None of these girls are looking like they can beat Shelepen though.

Polina's coach said in her interview last week that Polina will do 3-3 in Minsk, so to beat her could be even harder

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Watching the Free Dance now...

1. I will love the Spanish team forever for selecting music from Slumdog Millionaire. I look forward to following them over the next few years - they're very interesting.

2. I liked the lifts from Sinitsina and Zhiganshin. They were fun to watch too.

3. Ralph/Hill were solid. I have to admit I'm not quite taken with this team as I'd like to be. Bonacorsi/Mager on the other hand - just beautiful. People here made the comment about the flash photography, and the announcer guy did sound really annoyed when he repeated it), so I choose the blame that for the fall (it might not be true, but it really did come from nowhere). I loved their first twizzle with the extend leg, and that final lift was just breathtakingly lovely. I'm glad they won a medal.

4. The Shibutanis... what can one say? Simply a class unto themselves here. I wasn't sold on a tango for them (too young? Brother/sister team?), but they sold it. They're just such wonderful skaters.

5. The depth in American ice dancing is crazy.

6. One thing I cherish now about ice dancing is the variety. I know that makes it a struggle to mark and compare, but I just enjoy the sport now a lot more than I did in the past.

oleada

Record Breaker
But I don't think she could beat Alena even in a good day. Alena is much more consistant, she is going to do 3-3 this season and landing 3Lz and 3F (and Ksenia doesn't, maybe just yet, but...)

I don't think Makarova can beat Alena either, but she is better than Gerboldt, imo and definitely has a shot at the Olympics and Worlds.

I hope Sheveleva can get a 2nd assignment, I loved her! She's so spunky and cute and has the big jumps already. Ovcharova had a similar score and is assigned to Poland, so maybe Rosa could go to Turkey or Croatia?

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I don't think Makarova can beat Alena either, but she is better than Gerboldt, imo and definitely has a shot at the Olympics and Worlds.

I hope Sheveleva can get a 2nd assignment, I loved her! She's so spunky and cute and has the big jumps already. Ovcharova had a similar score and is assigned to Poland, so maybe Rosa could go to Turkey or Croatia?

Katarina has 3Lz and 3F, so if she would skate clean I think Makarova wouldn't beat her. But Gerboldt is so inconsistant, people who saw her in Novogorsk say that she wasn't good, so who knows... And don't forget about Ksenia Doronina, It would be very hard for Makarova to beat her... But I think Makarova could go to Euros, 'cause Russia has 3 spots.

As for Sheveleva, let's just wait and see... But I like her too and hope to see her again at JGP ))

efreedman

On the Ice
OMG, you're right. Very empty indeed.

It was depressingly empty for many of the sessions. We attended all religiously from beginning to end. Very few fans; most family members of the skaters. However, I was really glad that I attended. Great skating by the Shibutanis who got a standing ovation by about 20 of us higher up in the stands. It was very cold in there, so very few people were sitting anywhere near the ice. I was up at least 12 rows and found it either comfortable or a bit cold.

OMG, the pairs are starting.

Love those karate outfits! I hope Elvis is watching.

They were even sharper in person.

why? I thought Firth did a great job aside from the fall on the flip.

Having been there live, I would tend to agree with beep_beep. I have to check out the protocols and find out why Makarova was not graded higher.

I love them, but I have to agree with some of your points. The costumes were great with staying in traditional Japanese style, but the color mix of black/blue pants threw me off. I thought the music was a little fast for the step sequences, but when the drums kicked in at the end I think it fit much better because of that dramatic rotational lift.

Also, props to them because they were the only skaters that did an Asian-themed OD. They also had the best twizzles/lifts by far. ;)

My sense with respect to the costumes was that they were skating in either recycled or temporary costume fixes. Everyone in the arena were somewhat put off by Maia's bicycle shorts whose hue did not match with the purple in the tops. However, the live impression was that this team was entirely in another class. Their FD was stunning live.:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
My sense with respect to the costumes was that they were skating in either recycled or temporary costume fixes. Everyone in the arena were somewhat put off by Maia's bicycle shorts whose hue did not match with the purple in the tops. However, the live impression was that this team was entirely in another class. Their FD was stunning live.:clap:

I apologize for keeping the conversation on costumes rather than skating, but I must say after watching the OD a few times they really grew on me.
They fit the music very well without being outlandish. Probably the most complex-looking of all their costumes up to this point, but it looked well put-together and, above all, it was true to the music.
I think the fact that I am so used to seeing them dress in solid, or nearly solid colors was what threw me off. I am glad they used these costumes overall :yes:

On terms of skating, the long lift on the OD was amazing. I mean it blew me away that they developed such a complex and difficult lift just from the end of last season. The tango literally left me speechless and clapping loudly in front of the computer.

As Alex said after the CD, I am thoroughly convinced they "can do anything now."

liketotally

On the Ice
I think the tights Maia wore for the OD were strange. I've never seen any Japanese traditional costumes with tights before. But it was nice, and very original (in terms of all the other ODs we see) for them to do a Japanese dance.

It's amazing that they won the JGP with a higher score than Chock/Zuerlein won JW last year!