Do figure skating fans also like gymnastics? | Golden Skate

Do figure skating fans also like gymnastics?

D

danibellerika

Do figure skating fans also like gymnastics?

I was just wondering how many people that love watching figure skating, also like watchin gymnastics. I know i LOOOOVE both(I used to be a gymnast also so that helps a lot). Just wanted to know if you all did too.

So, DO you like gymnastics?

K

Katja73

Re: Do figure skating fans also like gymnastics?

I like it, but usually only watch it douring the Olympics or if I'm flipping channels and I catch it on. Those men have some FINE upper bodies.... LOL

D

danibellerika

Yes, they sure do. My fav guy is Nemov though. He's my original "sexei alexei", lol. I'm sure you can guess who's the NEW "sexei alexei" though, hehe.

K

Kzarah

We watch it when it on TV. We don't go out of our way to watch. One thing that I think is funny is the balance beam. I know that it is difficult, but all that arm flapping, is bizzare. I just don't understand it. I think it must be awful to have to use all that chok, there must be a lot of nose pickers in gymnastics.
Daniel and Little Lulu

L

lilicedancer

I absolutely love gymnastics, I follow it over the net cuz not many events are shown on TV.

D

danibellerika

Hey, is that Andrea Raducan with the Olys gold around her neck in your pic? I was upset that they took her medal away from her, I think she truly was the best one there medicine or not. And it really wasn't her fault b/c the doctor perscribed it for her didn't he?

J

Jules Asner

I like women's gymnastics.. not a huge fan of the men's -- I'm a bars and beam kinda girl. Plus I like music on the floor exercises.

I thought andrea raducan deserved her gold too. I don't see how cold medicine could help you in gymnastics. Same thing happened to Elena Bereshnaya at worlds -- ridiculous!!!

I love Holly Vise!!! I hope to see her do well at the next Olympics. She is my favorite kind of gymnast, very artistic and flexible. I also like Carly Patterson.

D

danibellerika

oh yes, they are VEEEEERRRY good. They gave me a GREAT first impression. I love how light Carly is on her landings(though i'm also a fan of powerful landings like Elena Prudunova. Regular force just doens't stand out to me much I guess), and Holly is just so flexible. Her back is just excellent. It was hard to tell where she was facing on the uneven bars because she turned so quickly.

G

Grgranny

Well, I did check I like it all but I don't love it. Watch it here and there but nothing like figure skating.

D

dlksk8fan

I like gymnastics. Competed as a class 3 and class 2 gymnast in my school days (Jr and Sr high school). I love the men gymnast. Their strength is so amazing. The flexibility of the rhythmic gymnasts are incredible.

L

lilicedancer

Yeah, that's Raducan. I was very impressed with how she handled that situation, and I thought it was great that her teammates and Liu Xuan (who placed 4th originally) wouldn't accept the medals when she was stripped of the title, although their federations did order them to eventually. I like Carly Patterson, Hollie Vise, and Tabitha Yim. Tabitha placed second at nationals this year and competes in figure skating at the novice level, she has so much presence on the floor excercise, and she credits her skating as the reason.

D

danibellerika

Yeah, I know Tabitha. She's great! Her floor routine was done to "Por Una Cabeza", and I love that song. Did you see the pic of Tabitha doing a backflip on ice? It was cool! I think it's great to incorporate a little but of both in the sport. Kinda like Cohen. She's got that gymnast flexibility herself. And i remember that they didn't accept the medals. I thought that was great also.

J

Jules Asner

I wish the girl who was given the bronze had refused hers as well at the past Olympics -- but she was probably afraid to. Those federations and coaches can be very domineering and controlling of these young girls.

It was a nice gesture of Raducan's team mates to not accept the medals. I think the girl who was given the gold wanted to give it back to Raducan.

L

lilicedancer

Actually, when Raducan's teammates refused the gold, the IOC offered it to Liu Xuan who was originally fourth and she refused it too. Simona Amanar presented the gold to Raducan in a ceremony when they got back to Deva, and I hope that maybe after enough years have passed they will officially give Raducan back her medal.

J

Jules Asner

oh thank you, that's nice to hear (that Raducan was given the gold by her teammates) the Romanian girls from Deva are always so sweet and really like sisters.

L

lilicedancer

Yeah, I like the Romanians and the Chinese (they're so enthusiastic!) The Russians are elegant, but they cry when they win, they cry when they lose, and they view a silver as losing which grates on me a bit. I mean, it's an honor just to get to the Olympics!!!

J

Jules Asner

I don't mind crying when they win, but I don't like they way they carry on when the lose the gold -- especially in 96 -- they lost by quite a large margin and it seemed the tears were a bit of a put on - very phony. The Romanians dealt with it much better, as they usually do. I love the chinese team, especially on bars and beam, I wish they could put together a really good competition where they all perform well at the same time under pressure.

R

RealtorGal

I love gymnastics, but I don't like what floor and beam have become in recent years--graceless--all tricks and no grace. I miss the days of Turischeva--such an athletic ballerina! Now it's all "noise". And on beam, everyone does exactly the same tricks with a bit of arm waving in between.

D

dlksk8fan

RealtorGal do you seen this as a prediction on how figure skating is going? I see more emphasis on jumps and not equal emphasis on spins and footwork.

J

jskatingfan

I;m one of the ones who liked gymnastics, but I don't love it the way I love figure skating. I think, for me, part of it is the fact that there are not a lot of televised gymnastics competitions, and therefore it is hard to learn much about what I am watching, whereas with so many figure skating competitions, I have been able to learn so much about the sport, from simply learning the names of the elements to learning to appreciate edge quality, flow, etc. and still learning.