Virtue and Moir in Prime Form for Olympics | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir in Prime Form for Olympics

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada's Olympic hopes in ice dancing for the upcoming Games are riding on the shoulders of Ontario's Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. The couple, only 20 and 22 respectively, has skated together for 13 years. [More]

Between Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, North American ice dancing is in pretty good shape these days. I'm going to have a hard time rooting for just one of those couples in the Olympics. It's going to be another of those times (like the time G & G and Mishkutenok/Dmitriev competed) when I will wish for a tie at the top.

For some reason I hadn't realized that it was Zoueva they were working with. And she is using the Mahler Adagietto? Wasn't she the one who helped Gordeyeva prepare that piece for the eulogy to Sergei? Somehow I can't imagine that she could re-use it in any other context. I certainly associate it completely with Katia and Sergei. I'm sure they'll do a fine job, of course, and it will be beautiful.

Totally off the subject, but isn't Tessa Virtue the most beautiful name? She sounds like the heroine of a nineteenth-century novel written by a previously unknown Bronte sister.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
They certainly are hard workers. I to, had not realized that they were working with Marina Zoueva. She is really a great choreographer. That freedance is a masterpiece.

i love to skate

Medalist
I find it amazing that they only ran through their free dance five times the entire season and still managed to be on the podium at Worlds. That just blows my mind....talk about natural talent!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Between Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, North American ice dancing is in pretty good shape these days. I'm going to have a hard time rooting for just one of those couples in the Olympics.
That's an easy one for me. I think Scott and Tessa are wonderful, and I'd like to see them do well in Vancouver. Except maybe not too well so that they won't retire too soon ;). I'd love to have them around until Sochi, to see what they might come up with. Meanwhile D/W are good technically but I think they need more time to mature artistically. So they can wait for the time being.

V/M and a French team on the podium works for me. Since realistically the Kerrs have zero chance of a medal, I don't care who rounds out the podium in that case.

Medusa

Record Breaker
V/M and a French team on the podium works for me. Since realistically the Kerrs have zero chance of a medal, I don't care who rounds out the podium in that case.
Domnina / Shabalin!! :rock: I know, I know... About 6 months ago I called them only slightly more bearable than Belbin / Agosto. But that was before I noticed that Maksim is a classic-literature reading hottie.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I find it amazing that they only ran through their free dance five times the entire season and still managed to be on the podium at Worlds. That just blows my mind....talk about natural talent!

and judges playing favorites.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Domnina / Shabalin!! :rock: I know, I know... About 6 months ago I called them only slightly more bearable than Belbin / Agosto. But that was before I noticed that Maksim is a classic-literature reading hottie.
Well, ok, that's cool - but Oksana has gone blonde again (not platinum, at least), and the skate gods should not reward that :biggrin:.

Tinymavy, so the judges had to play favorites for Scott and Tessa to medal. OK. I thought it was Dom/Shabs who were gifted. No wait, it was Tanith and Ben! I'm having a hard time keeping my villains straight. Personally, I liked P/B at Worlds. At least they got into the gala, though I'm not sure the audience appreciated Andy as much as I did.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
and judges playing favorites.

oh please, all D/W do well is making sure their elements are level 4 in order to help them score high points. Unfortunately, this new scoring system is about getting high levels, so teams who show quality skating, clear lines, good carriage are not always awarded...while teams like D/W rely on level 4 elements to stay with the top of the pack...And Meryl sometimes gives me back pain watching her.

ETA: Even with a standing ovation the judges were courageous enough (yes, courageous!) to not award any more points to D/W for their FD. Good for them.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Oh no! Virtue/Moir vs. Davis/White - again!

There is this huge thread from 4CC 2008 about these two couples, go read it, knock yourselves out - it is very entertaining and absolutely evil.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Marina and Igor have worked together for years... I'm shocked most didn't make teh connection as to who she was in "skating history" :laugh:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
How do you think that the judges played favourites? Especially since it was so close in the end (I believe changing one GOE or one level in the PCS scores would've made the difference).

it should not have been that close. Sure Charlie made a mistake in the OD, but Virtue and Moir's OD was a mess and they fell out of their final lift in the Freedance and she tripped on the diagonal step sequence.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don't see the fall out of the lift or the trip, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't catch the latter unless it was obvious (a la Novitski in the 2008 worlds free). The lift sorta stopped right at the end (there was no flow out of it) - is that what you mean?

I thought they should've been farther ahead after the compulsories, truth be told. I think Davis/White should've beaten Virtue/Moir this year, but I don't think anyone was robbed so much as difference of opinion (I have to admit I really don't care for the lifts in the "Samson and Delilah" program, though they certainly skated a lights out performance).

Enthusiast

On the Ice
it should not have been that close. Sure Charlie made a mistake in the OD, but Virtue and Moir's OD was a mess and they fell out of their final lift in the Freedance and she tripped on the diagonal step sequence.

V/M certainly did not fall out of the final lift. And Virtue/Moir's OD was already ranked 6th! In fact, their technical score in that OD was ranked only 7th. And one could make an argument that D/W's CD should not have been ranked above K/N. The british eurosport commentators thought the judges were generous with D/W giving them such a high score in the CD to be ranked 4th.

ETA- And besides, D/W already beat V/M in the technical score in the FD. Of course D/W's looked more solid- they were technically more secure and were justly rewarded. And their FD was placed over V/M. They did have the highest TES. What more did you expect? And D/W's last step sequence was quite sloppy.

On a side note, D/W were lucky to have been in the top 4 at Worlds, scraping off the bad luck of all the top teams from GPF, to Nationals, etc. etc. etc. And yes, they are certainly medal contenders for this season. The other top injured teams have to work hard to regain their past form AND still find ways to improve, while D/W are already in improving mode. They definitely have a chance at a medal in Vancouver now.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you know, my summer job ended tonight... I wish the minute summer ended skating began *yawn* :sheesh: