Emanuel Sandhu's dancing skills? Aye or Nay? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Emanuel Sandhu's dancing skills? Aye or Nay?

elinmand

Rinkside
I've seen Emanuel skate live a few times, and he's always been great to watch--beautiful lines great style, wonderful musicality--much better than his competitive history would suggest. He was a great skater, but an inconsistent jumper, and often couldn't hold a competitive program together. When he did, he could beat just about anyone.

I knew he'd planned to pursue dance when he left competitive skating, and am happy to see that his strengths as a skater are serving him well on the dance floor.

sk8m8

Final Flight
great venue for eman

I think this format is perfect for on of my personal faves, Emanuel.

I think during his skating career many of his fans were often disappointed at his having so much talent but plagued with inconsistency.

There are many true factual comments about the level of his dance skills. However I think he more that compensates in other areas (where he brings LOADS of experience from his years as a skater)

He absolutely knows how to command an audience when he is on. Many of the other dancers have just not had the exposure that Emanuel has already experienced on the world stage.

And, though all dancers train hard, I believe there is also a science and discipline that is just part and parcel of FS that gives them a competitive edge as elite athletes. You've seen it on DWTS in Ono and Yamaguchi .

It's fun to watch them all, though. Each of the dancers seems to have unique capabilities.

herios

Medalist
I was afraid in ballroom Emanuel will be the most tested, but again he did a lot better than I thought he will. He was actually again lucky to be drawn another great partner, seems that he danced with the best girls in this competition.

Here is his samba from top 10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7qlyAwyZhQ

He has now qualified for the top 8 and I think he has very good chances to make the top 6, after that it will be really tough, because there are 2 more guys who I think are better than him overall, but with the popularity vote, you never know

WOW! This one really rocks. Both dancers did such a fine job, and their connection to each other was strong and electric. Sandhu's turned out to be a great partner, with a lot less Byronic self-absorption than I'd have expected. It's as though he was a pairs skater all along, not a singles skater. I know that several of the judges critiqued his upper body as not holding the exact samba position, but he certainly used his arms, neck, and upper back effectively, gracefully, and intensely. He danced all the way to his fingertips, even the broken ones. What a performer he is! I think I like this dance best of all the ones he's done--it exploits both his musicality and his sinuous quality, which hip hop can't really do.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
They did a good job with the disco, but it looked a little to rehearsed, as if they (especially he) was thinking too hard. The american teams in the top six make it look effortless. Like the solo, but somehow I can't get past a feeling that his dancing is somewhat pretentious. I just don't feel his heart and soul when he dances like I should.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Maybe if you were watching in HD on a big screen you would feel differently. I honestly cant enjoy anything I see on my computer very well. Emmanual seems better when professionally choreographed, than when he has to do it himself. Kind of like the Ballerina from the US version. She was amazing when choreographed, but her solos were a bit of a snooze.

i love to skate

Medalist
They did a good job with the disco, but it looked a little to rehearsed, as if they (especially he) was thinking too hard. The american teams in the top six make it look effortless. Like the solo, but somehow I can't get past a feeling that his dancing is somewhat pretentious. I just don't feel his heart and soul when he dances like I should.

Well it may have looked as if he was thinking too hard but it certainly wasn't too rehearsed. He has a sprained ankle, is wearing an air cast, and almost bowed out of the competition. He hardly got any rehearsal time and Melanie (his partner) rehearsed with a choreographer. I find it amazing he is still doing so well with two broken fingers and a busted ankle.

herios

Medalist
Emanuel has made it to the Top 6 :clap: He was partnered with Melanie this week. They had contemporary and disco. I couldn't find the contemporary on YouTube, but did find the disco number and his solo.

Disco (no judges comments): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osuj7-vFxNs

Solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu0vOpVwZSU

Results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOTov562Xmg

Here are the missing numbers from top 8 with Emanuel:

Contemporary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4avrXZX6jAA

Group number with the top 4 guys - Broadway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj0EFdtmO9s

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
You beat me to it. I was going to comment. Yes, he was a really changed Emanuel this season...

herios

Medalist
You beat me to it. I was going to comment. Yes, he was a really changed Emanuel this season...

He fared very well, but the 2 guys who edged him out, were in general better than him, not just this week when they danced to qualify for the top 4.

He in fact said something similar, that he didn't think he would come this far, and I think he was genuine in his assessment.

I think he could have some lucrative contracts following this outcome, mainly in broadway, he is very expressive and performs well.

Marie_S

Rinkside
OMG he's good

It's my first time seeing him dancing and I have to say I like him better off the ice. His spins and footwork are awesome. (His feet can move so fast because they used to be tied to those heavy boots, maybe?) I'll be rooting for him. Way to go, Eman!