Which TWO ladies will the US send? (Pick a team) | Golden Skate

Which TWO ladies will the US send? (Pick a team)

Select which duo you think will be the 2010 US Olympic ladies team.

• Flatt/Zhang

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Cohen/Flatt

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Flatt/Wagner

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Flatt/Nagasu

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Flatt/Czisny

• Zhang/Wagner

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Zhang/Nagasu

• Cohen/Zhang

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Cohen/Wagner

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R.D.

Record Breaker
Updated since the other thread allowed you to choose three. In this one you get a choice of nine pre-selected teams, or if the one you think is not on the list, choose "Other" and select your own. This will stay open until the day of the Ladies' Final (Jan 23)

Note that this is a prediction thread/poll, NOT a hope thread. For that, go here

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28722

Last edited:

dannyascii

On the Ice
I'm going to say Cohen/Flatt.
While Flatt might not have a spot locked like Lysacek, I really think she'd have to screw up pretty badly to not get a spot. Even if she's not in top 2 at nationals, I think if she's a close 3rd or 4th, her consistency and very strong 2008-2009 season should get her there.
The second person is tougher. Speculating on what Cohen will do is near impossible since we haven't seen her for so long. But I think she'll be able to score big on PCS points. If not her...Wagner maybe? I've really liked the way her skating style has matured. If both of them have off nights, I think it'll go to Zhang. She's a great skater; she just still has some skating skill and jump issues that she's struggling with and needs to get worked out before she's a prime olympic team candidate.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I think I'll cheat a little. :biggrin: I will wait for the TEB to cast my vote. But I suspect it will be Rachael and Caroline, since they were the top American ladies last season. Sasha is still a big question mark. If she really shines at TEB, then she will most likely make the team.

zartian

Rinkside
Although my favorite is Czisny/Wagner,.. in reality.. I think either Flatt/Nagasu (no information on any improvement of Nagasu.. but I feel somehow she will be awesome (just feeling~)) or Flatt/Wagner. But I voted for Flatt/Wager because few of you will.;)

Narumi1997

Rinkside
I think I'll cheat a little. :biggrin: I will wait for the TEB to cast my vote. But I suspect it will be Rachael and Caroline, since they were the top American ladies last season. Sasha is still a big question mark. If she really shines at TEB, then she will most likely make the team.

Me too;)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I voted for Cohen & Flatt simply because Flatt seems to be the toughest competitior out of the new generation of US skaters and Cohen because if she does a typical Cohen performance at Nationals, she will have the crowd and the camera's attention. I'm not sure if the judges would be able to overlook her star power.

But I haven't seen anyone on the ice yet, so at this point prediction is hope... Because what I hope to see is Sasha have another shot on the big stage and the youngsters more time to adjust to their bodies and competiting on the world stage before being thrown into the spotlight too soon...

Now, if this was who would you like to see at Worlds post Olympics, I'd say Flatt and MiRai / Ashley because those two seem to have the most potential of rising to the occasion and placing well enough for the US to earn a third spot for 2011

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I voted Flatt/Wagner... I think Ashley has the full package if she can keep it together when it ultimately counts (nationals/olys) Flatt has the jumps (most of the time) but she lacks fire/spark/something IMHO... but she's the solid steady one that I would hope the USFSA had the confidence to send...

Cohen is a freaking question mark as to whether or not she'll even make it to nationals... so *shrugs*

bekalc

Record Breaker
Cohen has a bye to Nationals because of her Oly Silver Medal.

I think people wonder if Sasha will drop out. Honestly, a part of me wonders if we will see a complete surprise for a spot, to be frank. I mean I think the USFSA might be very frustrated with the current top ladies because they aren't improving in areas they need to improve in. I mean there is Nagasu/Wagner's jump issues. Zhang/Flatt's speed issues. IF none of them improve these things I can see the USFSA deciding to perhaps look elsewhere. At someone like Gao for example who has strong jumps and is improving at a quick rate. But let's see how she does on the JGP this season.

I mean I don't really think this happens, but it's a thought.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I KNOW that, we've only gone round and round and round with that all summer... but, that doesn't mean she'll show up.

Precisely.

She could tank an early event and/or get hurt, and as a result, pull out or give it up.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Sasha hasn't competed in quite a while. She could do poorly in her GP events, then get her act together by Nationals. The problem is, Nationals doesn't guarantee an Olympic berth this time. The Olympic team may be decided by Christmas, in which case Sasha would be out of luck.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Personally I would like to see Zhang/Nagasu make it to the Olys.
If they are both really "on" I am confident they can both place definitely within the top 10 with at least one of them in the top 4. Yes, they have issues they need to work out and some big problems, but they are the real hope right now.
However, I think if Flatt does consistently again this season she will be sent because USFSA seems to favor her.

Sasha hasn't competed in quite a while. She could do poorly in her GP events, then get her act together by Nationals. The problem is, Nationals doesn't guarantee an Olympic berth this time. The Olympic team may be decided by Christmas, in which case Sasha would be out of luck.

I am sure that the USFSA is hoping that they won't have to put up or shut on the supposed "new rules." If someone does well on the Grand Prix (the number two criterion for selection to the Olympic team) but bombs at nationals (the number one criterion), and someone else has the opposite results, the USFSA will be in a pickle.

Rest assured, though -- come hell or high water the U.S. Champion will be on the Olympic team (even if it's Alissa. :) )

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Rest assured, though -- come hell or high water the U.S. Champion will be on the Olympic team (even if it's Alissa. :) )

I tend to suspect that may be true, but will previous ISU events play a role in who the National Champ is?

( Possible 2010 Nationals Scenario. )

Judge # 1 – I think Rachael just took off on that flip from the wrong edge.

Judge # 2 – After her brilliant performance at Worlds last year, no, it looked OK to me.

Judge # 1 – I think Caroline just underrotated that axel by 91.234 degrees.

Judge # 2 – But considering how she kicked butt at the GPF last month, I think it looks more like 88.793 degrees from my vantage point. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Judge # 1 – I think Caroline just underrotated that axel by 91.234 degrees.

Judge # 2 – But considering how she kicked butt at the GPF last month, I think it looks more like 88.793 degrees from my vantage point. :biggrin:

haha, how could you POSSIBLY know whether she will even make the final let alone do well in it? :cool:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
haha, how could you POSSIBLY know whether she will even make the final let alone do well in it? :cool:

I don't. But the point is that whatever happens, previous ISU results might just possibly play a role in how the judges score at Nationals. I'm not saying they will, but the possibility exists.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah. I'd like to think it doesn't, but whenever you have a judged event, stuff like this seems to creep into play. Is it fair? Not in my opinion.