Mesh fabric question | Golden Skate

Mesh fabric question

beep_beep

Medalist
I don't know if this fits here.

There is a black girl that takes lessons with me, and she never finds mesh fabric that fits her skin color. She's thinking of buying the darkest shade possible, and make an attempt at dying it.
Her skin is on the darker side, but I have also seen this problem with some other black skaters in my former club (and their various shades of skin color).

Does anyone know a brand of mesh fabric or even tights for that matter, that goes well with black skin? Has anyone tried to dye the fabric to fit the skin color?

Clarice

Rinkside
http://www.fabricdepotco.com/

I have a set of mesh swatches from this place, and they seem to have quite a range of flesh-colored fabrics. You could try any similar large fabric store that specializes in stretch fabrics.

Danskin seems to make dance tights in a wide range of colors, and would be worth a try. Skating tights don't seem to come in as many shades. If the dance tights aren't heavy enough, she could try layering two pairs.

I don't know how well stretch fabrics take dye.

megsk8z

On the Ice
Fabric

Take it from Clarice. She is a very accomplished seamstress and knows her fabric.
Having seen some of her work, I will confess to being green-eyed.
I also agree with her assessment of Danskin tights. And there is a big difference between Classic Light Toast and Light Toast. Also, if you do find tights that match the color you are seeking, I would suggest buying as many pair as you can. Having sold many brands and styles of tights in my years, I can tell you that no matter how hard they try, not every batch of tights is exactly the same color.

beep_beep

Medalist
Thank you very much, guys! :clap:

I've passed these suggestions to her mother.
I've looked at Danskin tights, they sure look very good. I might end up looking for some myself (I have the opposite problem, my skin is ultra white), nice range of shades.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Thank you very much, guys! :clap:

I've passed these suggestions to her mother.
I've looked at Danskin tights, they sure look very good. I might end up looking for some myself (I have the opposite problem, my skin is ultra white), nice range of shades.

I am also very fair-skinned and have noticed that the mesh used for most skating dresses seems to be darker than it used to be. Fortunately, I found a light shade of nude mesh online and the company that made my new dress was willing to use my mesh instead of theirs.