French Masters | Page 3 | Golden Skate

French Masters

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yeah, but so far Florent has had one competition where he bombed big during the last 12 months, and that's Junior Worlds. He was fine at French Nationals, on the JGP... If he proves himself in the next few months, that spot at the Olympics could very well be his. Préaubert will never get good PCS and Euros 2009 was probably the only clean long program that Ponsero will ever gift us with.

Yeah Florent! :clap: Is Brian only 3rd? He also went Zayak, as far as I've seen it...

Well yeah I agree, I'd send Florent over Preaubert and Ponsero. But Brian went Zayak. WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY THINKING What happened to having a plan and executing it...

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Well, but it's good to know that Brian is trying. The program looked really difficult, some of those arm movements were practically graceful and balletic (though maybe I shouldn't write this - he'll probably take them out if people start telling him he looked graceful), I am also a fan of Brian's skating skills, he has good posture, speed and more power than everyone else over the ice. Let's hope this is his typical shaky start of the season (last season he lost against Préaubert at the same competition) and apparently the size of the rink really bothered him.

But Florent rocked! I just wish that he had a bit more power, he looks very delicate and soft out there, especially on his jump landings... The 3A looks much bigger than last year, the first one was special.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Second, I think.
Hmm, on Passion Patinage someone posted 215,79 points for Brian - that would be just slightly in front of Ponsero and behind Préaubert, who had over 217 (and he at least landed a Quad).

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yeah, but so far Florent has had one competition where he bombed big during the last 12 months, and that's Junior Worlds. He was fine at French Nationals, on the JGP... If he proves himself in the next few months, that spot at the Olympics could very well be his. Préaubert will never get good PCS and Euros 2009 was probably the only clean long program that Ponsero will ever gift us with.

Yeah Florent! :clap: Is Brian only 3rd? He also went Zayak, as far as I've seen it...
I think Brian was 3rd on the LP (will he ever win one?) and 2nd overall, the person on Passion Patinage posted an incorrect score (probably). My connection came and went so I didn't really see much of the program, but am pretty sure he got 145 for the LP. At least the costume is not appalling.

Florent bombed at Junior Worlds and skated badly at the WTT. The FFSG will have a tough decision to make. Alban has PCS issues, Yannick will probably never skate two clean programs at the same event, and Florent is too unpredictable.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
It sucks there are only 2 spots for French men at Vancouver. I wanna see them all there :(

If I were in the French federation situation. I will send them this way : The top 3 at the Grand Prix will go to Euros (unless the fourth guy at GP wins Nationals which is possible) . Then the best 2 at Euros go to Vancouver. Is simple and will push the guys to work harder and probably avoid too much drama. We dont want another Dambier/Contesti fiasco.

Medusa

Record Breaker
It sucks there are only 2 spots for French men at Vancouver. I wanna see them all there :(

If I were in the French federation situation. I will send them this way : The top 3 at the Grand Prix will go to Euros (unless the fourth guy at GP wins Nationals which is possible) . Then the best 2 at Euros go to Vancouver. Is simple and will push the guys to work harder and probably avoid too much drama. We dont want another Dambier/Contesti fiasco.
Yeah, that's how they did that last year too - and it was a disaster. The problem is - Préaubert gets bad, bad PCS - Amodio is so new, they won't give him more than 65, max. 70 points on PCS in international competitions. So Ponsero, who has a reputation for his amazing skating skills and well-centered spins, only needs to skate halfway clean at Euros to beat either Préaubert or Amodio. Then he can go to the Olympics and bomb as badly as he did last year at Worlds. I really like Ponsero, but what a headcase!

Oh, and the WTT argument with Florent? His season was basically over with Junior Worlds, it was his very first international senior competition... It's not like he has tons of experience like Ponsero.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Oh, and the WTT argument with Florent? His season was basically over with Junior Worlds, it was his very first international senior competition... It's not like he has tons of experience like Ponsero.
Florent still skated badly. I think he may well have a very bright future, but so far he has not been that consistent, and that's something to be taken into account. Maybe the FFSG will send him anyway, just to set him up as a contender for the next Olympics; after all, nobody expected much of Joubert in SLC. But like Brian in 2002, Florent will have to earn his ticket.

On to other matters: Alban looked like he's skating an EX rather than an LP. Not sure that costume is the way to go, and I'm not sold on the program, either. But maybe actual sound will help with that.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yeah, that's how they did that last year too - and it was a disaster. The problem is - Préaubert gets bad, bad PCS - Amodio is so new, they won't give him more than 65, max. 70 points on PCS in international competitions. So Ponsero, who has a reputation for his amazing skating skills and well-centered spins, only needs to skate halfway clean at Euros to beat either Préaubert or Amodio. Then he can go to the Olympics and bomb as badly as he did last year at Worlds. I really like Ponsero, but what a headcase!

Well the thing is at the Olympics, there's really nothing to lose for the French so if Ponsero earns the Olympics, why the heck not. What they should NOT do is send Ponsero to Worlds next year. Send either Amadio/Preaubert with Joubert.

Kind of like how the Japanese got away with sending Daisuke (who was very inconsistent) back in the day to the Olympics, and then sent Oda who was a bit more consistent) to Worlds.

But seriously when it comes to Olympic qualifying events like Worlds, federations are dumb when they don't send their most consistent teams, rather than the wild cards. The time to take a chance on a Czisny/Ponsero IS NOT when you need them to help you qualify for anything. To do so, only adds more pressure to already fragile skaters.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Florent still skated badly. I think he may well have a very bright future, but so far he has not been that consistent, and that's something to be taken into account. Maybe the FFSG will send him anyway, just to set him up as a contender for the next Olympics; after all, nobody expected much of Joubert in SLC. But like Brian in 2002, Florent will have to earn this ticket.
So I take it you are not a fan of the baby-frenchie?

seniorita

Record Breaker
some of those arm movements were practically graceful and balletic

there were balletic but i dont know about graceful , they looked like something allien on him, but he tries and this is good. Some part in the beginning was too slow with movements, maybe with music it fits better, his costume is not bad but why he doesnt go for another fabric?I didnt like the golden things crossing around his legs...
Amodio looked fresh and fast, and so enjoyable, adorable program!:clap:I m curious about music!
I so like Preubert with his rock choices every year but my worst issue of his posture is his arms, they just hang left and right like a puppet's...

bekalc

Record Breaker
there were balletic but i dont know about graceful , they looked like something allien on him, but he tries and this is good. Some part in the beginning was too slow with movements, maybe with music it fits better, his costume is not bad but why he doesnt go for another fabric?I didnt like the golden things crossing around his legs...
Amodio looked fresh and fast, and so enjoyable, adorable program!:clap:I m curious about music!
I so like Preubert with his rock choices every year but my worst issue of his posture is his arms, they just hang left and right like a puppet's...

I don't know if graceful arms is alien to Joubert. His arms were graceful and went with the music on his Hallelujah exhibition last year and it worked for him. I think we'd have to hear the music.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
So I take it you are not a fan of the baby-frenchie?
Actually, I think he's super cute and I've enjoyed what little I've seen of his skating. I'm just pointing out that he's not that consistent at this point in his career. He's also not that young - older than Chan, and the same age Joubert was when he won his first European title. On the other hand, some skaters take longer to get to a point where they perform consistently. It's too early to say how Florent's career - and 2009-10 season - will turn out.

Danale

On the Ice
No surprises in Dance. Fabian's arrow thing looks a bit freakish w/o the music - doen't it?
And did anyone catch who took third? My internet connection thinks the competition is over.

seniorita

Record Breaker
His arms were graceful and went with the music on his Hallelujah exhibition last year and it worked for him. I think we'd have to hear the music.

Yes thats true, i think if he practices his program a lot, the hands will probably come more natural, thats all;) With music of course we will have a better idea!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Funny medal ceremony for the men - looks like Brian forgot to show up. Florent and Alban were waiting on the podium when Brian showed up running from backstage. Everyone seemed to think that was pretty amusing.

I like the color of Nathalie's costume. Not sure about the skirt, though. And Fabian still needs a haircut. And who did Zoe Blanc's costumes this season? They're awful.

Danale - Carron/Jones were predictably third.

Danale

On the Ice
Funny medal ceremony for the men - looks like Brian forgot to show up. Florent and Alban were waiting on the podium when Brian showed up running from backstage. Everyone seemed to think that was pretty amusing.

I like the color of Nathalie's costume. Not sure about the skirt, though. And Fabian still needs a haircut. And who did Zoe Blanc's costumes this season? They're awful.

Danale - Carron/Jones were predictably third.

Thanks.
And I agree on all the costumes comments. Especially the haircut, too primal.

zandor

On the Ice
I prefer much more M. Jost/Olga brunette Domnina than Pernelle Carron/ Lloyd Jones.

npa

Match Penalty
Guys, how do you like Peshalat-Bourzat FD? Maybe someone will download video on yotube from Masters?

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Does this mean Carron/Jones will get to skate at Bompard. ?? I was hoping for Orlova/Jost. I can't wait to see their Bjork FD.