Update on Rosaleen Kaye | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Update on Rosaleen Kaye

Kypma

Final Flight
Get well soon, Rosaleen!! Hopefully by now things are looking brighter for you, and may you gain extra strength from those who love you and some extra joy from all those here who wish you were well.

-Kypma

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm adding my best wishes for Rosaleen. I know a few people personally who were able to recover very well from a stroke. My own mother had a mild stroke and is doing very well. So I hope for the best for Rosaleen.

hongligl

Final Flight
That's terrible news. I really enjoyed Rosaleen's reports and I wish her a speedy recovery! COC is coming next month Rosaleen! Come on your feet and go!!! The new season, a pre-olympic season should be a big enough motivation I hope!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Rosaleen, so sorry to hear you are not well right now! I hope you are feeling better soon.

DG

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rosaleen, so sorry to hear you are not well right now! I hope you are feeling better soon.

DG
Yes, I agree that I hope Rosaleen is feeling better.

Welcome back Doggygirl!!!!! Great to see your post. :clap: :clap:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm so sorry to hear this, my thoughts & prayers to Rosaleen & her family, I've always enjoyed reading her reports. :)

p.s. a long time ago, many years ago in fact, there was a kind lady that used to make f.s. videos for everybody, the name sounds familiar like Rosaleen's, I'm wondering if it was her? If so, thank you, thank you, thank you, I still have all my tapes.

kalamalka

Rinkside
I saw Rose a couple of times last week while in Vancouver. The communication challenges are, not surprisingly, very frustrating for her. She can read pretty well, and understand speech, but not only can she not speak, but her attempts to write are frustrated because letters are also frequently coming out scrambled - which means that she cannot yet use e-mail, and needs someone to help her navigate the internet. Since she's a computer programmer by profession, this just adds to the frustration. On the other hand, she has made quite a bit of progress since starting rehab, and will likely be able to solve these challenges.

The cards she's received from the skating community - Golden Skate, FSU, and some of the skaters and broadcasters - are a great pleasure to her, and she has a great interest in keeping in touch. If anyone else wants to write, they can contact her c/o:

Acquired Brain Injury Unit
GF Strong Rehabilitation Centre
4255 Laurel Street
Vancouver, B.C. V5Z 2G9

And in specific response to Nadine's post above - yes, Rosaleen is almost certainly the person you are thinking of who has done a lot of tape-making and tape-trading over a number of years.

- another Paula

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
"another" Paula ( :laugh: ) thank you so much for the address! I will have to find just the perfect card to send her!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kalamalka, thanks so much for the update!!!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the update kalamalka. :)

And for providing the address, I will definitely send her something, as I also plan on sending my best friend something as well (her brother died just recently & I've been trying to find the perfect gift to get her). She & Rosaleen are both on my "to do" list this week. :)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Haven't really been on GS lately. I am so sorry to hear this news. My prayers are with her and surely hoping she recovers soon.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just wanted to say that I received a beautiful card from Rosaleen's mother today, and in it she says that Rosaleen continues to improve & progress. Furthermore, her diabetes is well under control, but she faces a new lifestyle & new food selections. Still a long climb upward, but she's well on her way. :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Update:

I received a lovely Christmas card from Rosaleen & her mother, as well as a beautiful letter. :)

In it Rosaleen's mother says that Rosaleen will be moving from the hospital soon (stay is usually 6-8 weeks long) into a Nursing Care Home. Also, though she can stand on her own (btw her mother encourages her by telling Rosaleen to imagine that she is skating :) ), she will need a wheelchair for quite some time yet. And she's learning to print with her left hand, but her right arm may improve slightly. Furthermore, her speech has been coming back slowly, she can sound her name in 3 sections.

Her mother is hopeful that sometime in the future Rosaleen will be able to lead an independent life once again, though changed, with the help of home care assistance of at least 4 hrs. per day for the things that she cannot do on her own (e.g. prepare a meal, tie her hair back, put toothpaste on a toothbrush). And hopefully one day with everybody's prayers she can text.

Lastly, her mother has asked that her OIympic Tickets be changed to "wheelchair" & they said "yes" (she hopes they remember). :love:

p.s. I have her home address, but I'm not sure I should post it, for privacy's sake, but I thought you all might want to send her a Christmas card or something. I guess you could PM me if you would like to send her something?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
PJ Kwong reported the following:

"I have visited Rosaleen Kaye both times that I have been in Vancouver since she had her stroke ..she wanted her friends to know that she was able to trade in her Olympic tickets for wheelchair seating and is hoping that if people see her at the Games they will walk over to say hi...

I am planning on visiting her again when I get back to Vancouver in February ...so...just wanted to let her frineds know..."

It's great to know Rosaleen will be at the Olympics!

I'm so glad to hear that things are improving for Rosaleen, and that she'll be able (God willing) to attend her beloved Olympics. I haven't been a member of GS for long, but I recall her from my lurking days.

These days they have a great understanding of rehabilitation, and that plus her own determination can go a long way toward significant recovery, especially in terms of speech.

I add my prayers and good wishes to all of yours.