Johnny Weir's New Q&A | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's New Q&A

jennylovskt

Medalist
Here you are:

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/interact.html

Just want to have more male figure skaters' threads here. So it would look more like Olympics 2010, not Olympics 2006 men's skating.:biggrin:

Q: Johnny, I can't wait for the season to begin because I'm having Johnny withdraws right now. You deserved to be at the World Championships. U.S. Figure Skating robbed fans of an awesome performance by not naming you to the team. My question is about Patrick Chan and Brian Joubert. Are you familiar with their war of words? I think Patrick pretty much said that Brian's programs are void of actual choreography so he has to have the quad. If so, who do you agree with?

A: I was at the World Championships and was made aware of their little battle in the press. Brian has always had a very direct way of voicing his opinion through the years and he has had his share of criticism for it. What struck me was that a young boy, only in his second championship wanted to throw down with one of the mainstays of the podium at the World Championships. That would have been like me attacking Yagudin in my first season on the Grand Prix. I found it a bit disrespectful. I believe everyone has a right to their opinion but show it in the correct way. I may not be one to talk about this since my mouth has run away with me from time to time, but I respect every skater who can get out there and show their heart and soul when they compete and in his way, Brian Joubert does that, as does Patrick Chan. I think mutual respect is necessary for all athletes.

I loved Johnny's answer about Patrick Chan.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Just want to have more male figure skaters' threads here. So it would look more like Olympics 2010, not Olympics 2006 men's skating.:biggrin:
That's a worthy goal! :laugh:

I loved Johnny's answer about Patrick Chan.
Yes, but please let's not dig that one up again... :p It's done, it's a new season. The one thing I can say is that as someone with lots to say and many opinions, I think Johnny probably respects Joubert for speaking his mind about skating (in the past, he had this to say about Brian: It's hard to be friends with people across the ocean, but we get along and he's a kind person. I can say I like him. I really respect his skating and his mental toughness). It looks like his objection was not to Chan speaking out per se but to the manner in which it was done.

I thought this was great:
Q: Johnny, your skin is gorgeous. Not a single pore! What products do you use?

A: I am very consistent with my regimen. I use organic washes by Ren and creams from both Ren and Cle de Peau. Thank you very much. I get so into a routine with my products that when one has a packaging change or the company stops making it, I have a month long depression. I am currently in the throws of a deodorant disaster. They stopped making the only one that I liked that worked for me and now I walk around unsure if I smell like a flower or just smell period.
Johnny is the only skater I can think of, male or female, who would get a question like that - and give an answer like that ;). I love Johnny, having him around is good for figure skating and just as general entertainment.

Danale

On the Ice
Thanks for posting the link.
I love love love Johnny - such a positive attitude! And it's absolutely great to see such enthusiasm for the new season:
I am honestly so excited for the season to start. I feel in many ways that this is my last season of legitimacy and I am not holding anything back in my preparations. My inspiration is not falling into mediocrity and not leaving a bad impression. I have a fire like never before and I am so happy with how my training is going. ... I hope that I do what I have always known I can do.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Q: Johnny, your skin is gorgeous. Not a single pore! What products do you use?

A: I am very consistent with my regimen. I use organic washes by Ren and creams from both Ren and Cle de Peau.

ITA, his skin is so dewy. It's also as smooth as porcelaine.

Cle de Peau is one of the most luxurious cosmetic brands and is really beautiful.
http://www.cledepeau-beaute.com/
But it is really expensive, too. Basic lotion is like $100, emulsion is like $150, and some special cream is like $500 (!).

I get so into a routine with my products that when one has a packaging change or the company stops making it, I have a month long depression.

Awww, so cute!

I feel that Johnny could serve as a face model for Shiseido (the company of Cle de Peau) because it also has a men's skin-care brand. But even in that case, perhaps he would not use their free products and would remain loyal to Cle de Peau:p

If I may make any unsolicited comment, I hope that he would not get suntan, which is the number one cause of aging of the skin, so that he could maintain his beautiful skin as long as possible.

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
I'm hoping Johnny will work again with Denis and Melissa. Based on his answer to that question it seems like he might. I'd love to see "a more sexual performance with the trio!"

mikew

Spectator
OHHH come one how is this good for skating...if you were a guy that well....was into girls anyway would you want your guy friends hearing you talk about smelling like a FLOWER...

pippa

Rinkside
OHHH come one how is this good for skating...if you were a guy that well....was into girls anyway would you want your guy friends hearing you talk about smelling like a FLOWER...

HUH?

What does Johnny answering a question about his skin care have to do with "being good for skating", and what does it have to do with what "a guy that was into girls anyway" would want his guy friends to think?? Since when does skin care have anything to do with what gender a person is into, and more to the point, what does sexual orientation have to do with what is "good for skating"?

Your post makes no sense. Johnny wasn't trying to say something "good for skating" because skin care has nothing to do with skating. And which gender individual skaters are attracted to has even less to do with it.

tricia90

Rinkside
Yikes! This gets so darn complicated! Here's the quote, from what I think is a hilarious answer:

"I am currently in the throws of a deodorant disaster. They stopped making the only one I liked that worked for me and now I walk around unsure if I smell like a flower or just smell."

He doesn't say he enjoys smelling like a flower...it sounds just the opposite to me. Some of those deodorants really are a bit overly floral. Maybe we should dwell instead on the "just smell" part which sounds pretty macho if you think about it.

This was a fun answer to a fun question so I think we should all have a good:rofl:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
In Japan men's cosmetics are one of the greatest growing market field. It has grown from $179 millions three years ago to $205 millions last year despite the economic situation. The growth rate was 17% in 2008.

While their growth may be attributable to products that are available in drug stores, "Shiseido Men", one of the most expensive male-cosmetic brands that I mentioned above (a lot cheaper than Cle de Peau though!), has kept growing 5% every year despite the prices. 70% of their male customers come to the department store by themselves to buy their products.

The biggest target population is young men. But more and more older men have come to use skin care products.

Men are more likely to stick to the same products than women so that they make loyal customers (but this may change when a greater variety of brands come to flourish).

http://www.sankei-kansai.com/2009/09/09/20090909-014409.php

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Ah, men's cosmetics belong to yesterday. Not so long ago I came across a Japanese site that sells men's bra's. The product becomes popular very fast.

Here's a video showing how it works.

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//RTV/2008/11/22/RTV3419908

I think it's possible that in a couple of years we will be defending men's' right to wear this piece of clothes on regular basis.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I heard about it, but boy it's creepy. It's like women wearing jockstraps. To paraphrase, absolute unnecessity. It might make a good Halloween costume though.

Seeing this thread on Johnny reminds me of a comment I saw in a figure skating magazine several years ago. One of the editors spoke up quite emphatically in Johnny's defense. She said that that though he had a reputation for saying outrageous things, he was always polite, patient, and accessible to skating journalists and (if I recall correctly) to fans. Since then I've always had a soft spot for him, whether I prefer his skating on that particular day or not. He'll probably never make my heart stop the way Kurt Browning does (now and forever), but he's definitely a distinctive and impressive presence on the ice, and I hope he does well this year and gets to go to the Olympics. Even if we're never able to look to him for tips on volunteer firefighting or how to use a power saw! Variety is the spice of life.

Wicked

Final Flight
In every interview I've read with Johnny, the interviewer says how polite and nice he is.