question about 4CC | Page 2 | Golden Skate

question about 4CC

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
4CC won't pose an issue for the East Asian skaters. The Koreans are obviously at home, and the Japanese and Chinese are each only 1.5 hour plane ride away, plus some additional surface time to get to the competition city from Incheon Airport. The time zone won't be an issue. So logistically if they and their federations want them to compete, it's possible. For the US skaters, it's just dawned on me (forgive, I'm a bit slow) that the scheduling vis a vis US Nationals doesn't work, so I'm not sure how the US Fed is planning to play this, even for the skater that aren't going to the Olympics. Wow. Hopefully USFS has reserved a block of seats on the Asiana nonstop Seattle-Seoul flights.

And also remember that when you travel westbound to Asia, you cross the dateline and move forward in time, so the flights that leave the US around 1 pm on Day 1 don't arrive until about 6 pm Day 2, Korea time. So there's even less time than you think! (No the skaters won't need visas to get into Korea, and I'm sure the Koreans already have the path smoothed for competitors coming, so that's not an issue).

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
4CC won't pose an issue for the East Asian skaters. The Koreans are obviously at home, and the Japanese and Chinese are each only 1.5 hour plane ride away, plus some additional surface time to get to the competition city from Incheon Airport. The time zone won't be an issue.

There is a little bit of a paradox at work here. Yu-Na trains in Canada, so if she wants to compete at 4CC, she has to deal with jet lag.

The USFSA may not want to send the Olympic team to 4CC. They did that this year with the ladies' World team, and they were beaten by the bench. They probably don't want the embarrassment this time.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The USFSA may not want to send the Olympic team to 4CC. They did that this year with the ladies' World team, and they were beaten by the bench. They probably don't want the embarrassment this time.

Forget embarrassment- It's the very next week after the ladies and dance teams compete at Nats.

Oscilla

On the Ice
4CC won't pose an issue for the East Asian skaters. The Koreans are obviously at home, and the Japanese and Chinese are each only 1.5 hour plane ride away, plus some additional surface time to get to the competition city from Incheon Airport.

YuNa already stated that she will not appear neither at 4CC, not at Korean Nationals. She trains in Canada and doesn't wish to deal with a jet-lad and disturbance in the training schedule.

The location and date of 4CC might be also an issue for skaters like Miki Ando and Nobunari Oda who by that time will be training in USA. I think JSF might be better off sending those skaters who will not qualify for Olympics - it's not as if they are lacking in skaters... (Maybe the men are a little underprivileged right now after Mura's injury... Does anyone know if he'll appear at Nationals? If not, I hope Machida will get his act together.)

samba

On the Ice
Yes, that's what I'm hearing from various reliable sources. USFS does plan to send a full 4C team to Korea, however.

It's tougher for the US Icedance since they won't know until after FD at Nationals which will be Saturday night when the 4CC starts on the following Monday. They won't arrive at Korea until Tuesday. They'll compete TR for the CD at 4CC when they have GW at Nationals. I guess all senior teams have to practice TR as well just in case they got to do 4CC?? Some teams have never competed TR this season, will be a challenge :yes:.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
YuNa already stated that she will not appear neither at 4CC, not at Korean Nationals. She trains in Canada and doesn't wish to deal with a jet-lad and disturbance in the training schedule.

The location and date of 4CC might be also an issue for skaters like Miki Ando and Nobunari Oda who by that time will be training in USA. I think JSF might be better off sending those skaters who will not qualify for Olympics - it's not as if they are lacking in skaters... (Maybe the men are a little underprivileged right now after Mura's injury... Does anyone know if he'll appear at Nationals? If not, I hope Machida will get his act together.)

Point taken on all the skaters above, and it makes sense. I was flirting with the idea of hopping over from China to Korea to see 4CC, then decided against it as the field is going to be depleted of some of the top Olympic prospects that I'd want to see. Korean fans will be especially bummed.

Last edited:

samba

On the Ice
Point taken on all the skaters above, and it makes sense. I was flirting with the idea of hopping over from China to Korea to see 4CC, then decided against it as the field is going to be depleted of some of the top Olympic prospects that I'd want to see. Korean fans will be especially bummed.

You still can see world class skaters since only few will be at Oly.;) The Japanese ladies are fighting hard for three spots when they have tons of talent, we will still have world class skaters from Japan at 4CC. The American men are also doing well, only three will go to Oly., which means it's possible that top skaters like Weir, or Abbott, may be at the 4CC if they miss the US Nat.podium :( .

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Does anyone know who is on the Japanese men team for 4CC? (Aside from Kento Nakamura).
Nakamura (7th at Nationals) replaced Kozuka who was selected originally but then must have declined. Tatsuki Machida (4th) and Yasuharu Nanri (6th) are the other 2, last I heard.

Ladies: Asada, Suzuki, Nakano
Pairs: Takahashi/Tran
Dance: Reed/Reed

Trewyn

Medalist
Has the USFSA done any communications about the subject of the 4CC Ladies and Ice Dance teams? I can imagine not a lot of the skaters would *want* to go! Nats is a huge competition, such a drain on their physical and emotional strengths, to get on a flight to the other side of the world directly after it's over seems like a very uncomfortable situation! I definitely hope NONE of the Oly team members will go to 4CC because it looks like suicide! Maybe some up and comers like Alexe will want to go to gain experience and international exposure.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
just another question

Why are US and Canada having their nationals in the beginning of the new year? Opposite to most nations that have already done its nationals in 2009.

gkelly

Record Breaker
They always do. Before Four Continents existed, the US at least often used to hold Nationals in February in non-Olympic years.

These countries have large enough fields that they use two levels of qualifiers for skaters to try to get to Nationals. In the US that's regionals in October and sectionals in November. Which would make a tight schedule for holding Nationals in December.

Also the GPF is now in December, so instead of Nationals being too close to 4Cs, it would be too close to the GPF instead. Either way, some top skaters would have tight schedules or choose to skip the international events.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks gkelly.

These countries have large enough fields that they use two levels of qualifiers for skaters to try to get to Nationals. In the US that's regionals in October and sectionals in November. Which would make a tight schedule for holding Nationals in December.

I thought it was because something like that. Other big FS nations, like Japan and Russia, have their nationals at the end of december, while they are not celebrating x-mas/new year(thank you :)) Anyway it seems like US and Canada seldom send their top skaters to 4CC.

Also the GPF is now in December, so instead of Nationals being too close to 4Cs, it would be too close to the GPF instead. Either way, some top skaters would have tight schedules or choose to skip the international events.

Right, but that's true for all top skaters that reaches GPF.

webbo

Spectator
TV coverage

Hi, does anyone know where we can view live stream of 4CC from Korea, as I have a son competing in this comp and I was unable to go myself.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Hi, does anyone know where we can view live stream of 4CC from Korea, as I have a son competing in this comp and I was unable to go myself.

I'll do a little more research during the week, but justin.tv/skate_skate may work.

Also, aussieSKATES is planning to upload any clips of Australian skaters that can be accessed to their youtube site later in the week.