question about 4CC | Golden Skate

question about 4CC

angelally1029

Spectator
Does anyone know how the US plans on sending anyone to compete at 4cc since nationals ends Jan 24 and 4cc starts the 25 in Korea?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Good question. I do not know the answer.

The way the Nationals schedule is set up this year, this will not be a problem for the men and pairs, who will finish their events by Jan. 17. I would guess that the International Committee will name the men's and pairs international assignments as soon as the nationals results are in.

It will be a problem for the ladies and especially the ice dancers, who will finish competing on Jan. 23 (or 22 for the dancers?). The exact schedules for Nationals and 4Cs haven't been released yet. It's likely that the CDs at 4Cs would take place on Jan. 26, which only leaves about 3 days for the dance teams to get to Korea.

I would also expect that none of the Olympic team members will go to 4Cs.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
If no Olympic team members from any country go to 4CC, that nearly gives the U.S. a lock on the 4CC ladies' title. While the U.S. may not have any ladies' superstars at the moment, we do have an unusually deep team. Whichever U.S. ladies do not go to the Olympics should be able to take the title.

angelally1029

Spectator
True but with the the ladies free skate being on the 23 it gives them no time to prepare for 4CC. Its the same thing with dance.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
If no Olympic team members from any country go to 4CC, that nearly gives the U.S. a lock on the 4CC ladies' title. While the U.S. may not have any ladies' superstars at the moment, we do have an unusually deep team. Whichever U.S. ladies do not go to the Olympics should be able to take the title.

I think you forgot the japanese ladies :biggrin:

enlight78

Medalist
I think you forgot the japanese ladies :biggrin:

i must agree. I think it might be better on the single skaters cause it be like one long competition instead of the usually one week break that may trick you into resting on your loins. The skater will already be prepared due to nationals. The main question is the jet lag and time change. The ice dancers are the only ones i see with a major disadvantage.

I wish US nationals weren't held so late each year. I think the skaters would be fine if it was a week earlier.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
The Japanese are the only team that will send 3 ladies to the Olympics. Can the 4th best Japanese lady beat the 3rd best American?

Yes, any of Nakano, Ando or Suzuki (let's face it, one of those three ladies is gonna miss the games..) is capable of beating Zhang, Wagner, Flatt, etc. Last season the 4th japanese lady (Suzuki) beat the US national champion (Czisny). Im not saying that will happen but it is a more than likely possibility.

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Yes, any of Nakano, Ando or Suzuki (let's face it, one of those three ladies is gonna miss the games..) is capable of beating Zhang, Wagner, Flatt, etc. Last season the 4th japanese lady (Suzuki) beat the US national champion (Czisny). Im not saying that will happen but it is a more than likely possibility.

This is just my opinion, but do you really think Fumie is going to the Olympics? I think Miki and Mao are a lock.

samba

On the Ice
Do US citizens need visa to enter Korea? If they require visa, I can't see any possibility to send the teams pending the Nationals result.

Last edited:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
This is just my opinion, but do you really think Fumie is going to the Olympics? I think Miki and Mao are a lock.

NO:p, I like her but I actually think Fumie is waay past her prime. That's why I didn't even include her in the possible threats for US ladies at 4CC. I think the only lock for japanese team right now is Mao and the three girls I mentioned will fight for the remaining spots. Even with a subpar performance I really doubt Asada will miss the podium at nationals. I know Miki is reigning bronze medallist but that's not a guarantee and she's is still too inconsistent which makes her vulnerable and I could see her being out if she undeperforms. I would agree that after Mao she's the more likely to make it though..:agree:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
NO:p, I like her but I actually think Fumie is waay past her prime. That's why I didn't even include her in the possible threats for US ladies at 4CC. I think the only lock for japanese team right now is Mao and the three girls I mentioned will fight for the remaining spots. Even with a subpar performance I really doubt Asada will miss the podium at nationals. I know Miki is reigning bronze medallist but that's not a guarantee and she's is still too inconsistent which makes her vulnerable and I could see her being out if she undeperforms. I would agree that after Mao she's the more likely to make it though..:agree:

Thank you for making your point clear!

:p

Now this is just a random onbservation: I think people from Golden Skate are nicer than people form FSU. I don't know why... Maybe it's just my imagination.

mayamae_55

Rinkside

Totally agree with you SamuraiKite
My prediction for the Japanese Ladies are: Fumie, Nana Takeda, Satuki Muramoto(the elder sis), and Mari Suzuki as a reserve.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Yes, but Suzuki was beaten by the 2nd American lady ( Rachael ) and the 3rd ( Caroline ).

:rolleye: Yes and the 2nd american (Flatt ) was beaten by the 3rd japanese (Ando) at worlds, and Suguri beat both Czisny and Zhang at Skate Canada and not to mention that the FIFTH japanese lady (Nakano) has placed higher at Worlds than any of the 3 girls on the US podium this year.. and so and so and so..

The point is : Its a real stretch to say whichever US lady who goes to 4cc has the title locked even if Japan sends its B team because the field of the Japanese ladies is as deep as the american.

Tango_D_R

Rinkside
Now that it looks almost certain that Asada is not gonna make it in the upcoming Finals, she has a great chance showing up in 4CC. I read an article somewhere she's actually considering to participate. Now THAT changes everything :laugh:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Do US citizens need visa to enter Korea? If they require visa, I can't see any possibility to send the teams pending the Nationals result.

Not that I know of. I've visited Korea several times & you can get a 30-day tourist visa. Not sure if it allows you to compete tho...

samba

On the Ice
I heard the top 3 Canadians will not go to 4CC due to the Olympics, is that true? What about the Americans or Asians? Is this the normal protocol for Olympic year?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It varies. I wouldn't be surprised to see the US pairs go to 4CC's, especially if the Chinese and Canadians stay home, just for the ISU points and the prize money. That's what they did in 2006. Pairs finishes a day before the ladies do, for example, most years. But if it's that tight, I don't know. It's hard to see how they could skate well after that long a trip with no time to practice.