Japan Open | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japan Open

Okami

On the Ice
Yukari update: her shoulder popped out of its socket after the fall (!), but she popped it back during her performance. Scary!
She feels better now, though.

Laura Lepisto
Tango

Missed the beginning
3Lz nice
3 something-2T
the feed is dying :(
Layback I think
1A-2T ?
2L ?
Spiral sequence
2A
3S-2T shaky landing on 2T
Step sequence very nice
Combination spin nice

I missed half of the program because the feed was too jerky :(

Okami

On the Ice
Kuru-kuru-kuri-mio..!!! :laugh: Japanese CM's are cute.

Aww, cute Mao fluff

Mao Asada
"Bell" - Prelude in C Minor by Rachmaninoff, orchestral version

Crowd goes bananas
This dress looks pretty from the back
Great expression and speed from the start
3A both hands down
transitions
2A ?
Gorgeous great speed
3F-2L2L tano
Flying sit with pancate hands over head
Great speed on spiral
3S popped!
ballet arabesque 3F2L!
3T
OMYGOD THE MUSIC vocals join in
2A out of reverse spread eagle
fantastic synchro of spin with music
this music gives me goosebumps
Steps OMG
Fantastic final spin with compact Mao donut and one handed Biellman

Jumps weren't there, but I've never seen anything like that choreography-wise :eek:

I disliked this music when I heard it first, but it really works. Crazy speed into some of the elements, maybe it caused problems... The jumps looked really off and slowish, as if Mao lost speed on the landing. I hope it was just an off day... This program would look stunning if performed with good jumping content.

Last edited:

kandidy

Final Flight
Love Joannie and Laura's programs.

Laura's dress is my favorite.

Too bad, I don't feel this is good program for Mao.

Too slow and too heavy for her.
What's with her facial expression all the program. Only 2 weeks to TEB, will she get comfort with her program?

casken

On the Ice
Bebe couldn't manage to land one clean jump the entire program, including the double axel, and had some really awkward falls. She's had her share of bad skates before, but that's easily the worst I've seen her skate. The jump technique is just not there.

Glebova's was hit and miss and the costume was probably the most engaging thing about her program. :laugh:

Nakano had what didn't look like a bad fall on the 3 axel but was grabbing her arm in pain for a few seconds afterward. I thought the first half of the program was choreographed better than the second half, but overall it's probably the best LP she's had. Music was Firebird.

Rochette skated about as well as I've ever seen her. I usually find her style kind of blah despite the strong skating skills, but this program really held my attention and got stronger as it went along. Loved the connecting moves right into the triple flip.

Lepisto skated a solid program to tango music which included a nice triple lutz off a deep outside edge. I didn't really care for her skating before either, but tonight she was more engaging than I expected.

Man, that's a big piece of music Mao is skating to. My biggest impression was that the design and composition of the program is almost the same as last year's LP. Combined with the constant powerful music, the overall effect felt similar to last year's as well. I really don't know what to make of it. The footwork was excellent through.

Wow, Bebe probably feels even worse now knowing had she done just one jump cleanly NA would have won. A $20,000 difference for just a clean double axel. Ouch.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mao

I just watched Mao.

To me, the music raised some concern. I am afraid that I found the music heavy, slow, and repetitive. There was little change in the melody that made it difficult for me to find the highlight of the program. The music is definitely TAT's taste. But I liked the three Chopin pieces and Debussy by Nichol a lot better for Mao. IMO, the piano version of this music might have been more suitable for Mao. When Jeff skated to the piano version, it was delicately beautiful. Although I also found the last year's LP music heavy and repetitive, it was at least fast.

A good news is that Mao was a lot better in her facial expression than before.

Mikoto

Rinkside
Oh, dear. Mao's LP is difinetly worse than Masquerade. Other than footwork it is so boring.
Maybe if she could land jumps and skate with more passion it would look better. I cross my fingers.

Last edited:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Not sure why people think Mao's program is "passionless" or without "expression."

I mean, seriously, has the Masquerade program really closed minds so much?
Yes, the piece is huge and dramatic, but there is a clear improvement in her facial expression and arm movements.
There is a big difference between the two programs. If Masquerade was repetitive, then Bells is the farthest thing from it. In Bells nearly all of the elements and transitions were very much unique. Also, in case you haven't noticed Mao picked up quite a bit of speed on her spirals.

Needless to say, her jumps were pretty off here. I hope she is able to pick up the speed and flow for them by or during the GP.

casken

On the Ice
I just watched Mao.
IMO, the piano version of this music might have been more suitable for Mao.

Yeah, I was just thinking this program could benefit from mixing in the piano version into the middle of the program for more variation. I do like the bigger orchestral version she's using, she just needs more nuance.

merrybari

Final Flight
Thanks everyone for comments and pbp! What a slim margin of victory - good to know most are skating so well this early in the season. Gives the eligibles a yardstick to measure by as the season begins. Eager for vids of the men.

ETA: Does anyone else find it odd that there has been no mention of this competition as yet on Icenetwork or the USFS website? Hmmm?

I do feel badly for Bebe, but it's not completely her responsibility that NA came in second; one less miss by anyone and the result would've been different. .13 margin is scarcely a run away - but good for Team Europe. They did well.

Last edited:

kandidy

Final Flight
I understand other people's point about Mao's program.
I just felt that why the audiences need to push such "effort" to interprete her program? Isn't it better to pick program that makes her feel comfortable to her skating?Especially in Olympic year.

I had experience watching Mao live before, what I can tell about her skating is that she skates so "quiet"even her jumping. TAT should use Mao's strength to strengthen her program, not trying to create powerful skating from Mao.

Sorry abt my poor English, hope you get my point.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you to calza00 on YT for the videos! :cheer:

Kozuka
Yukari
Joannie
Laura
Mao

Thank you so much for the links.

Joannie's program just Wowed me. Beautiful presentation, athleticism and connection to the music and to the audience. Brilliant. Deserved first place.

Laura's program was also excellent just a couple of bobbles on the jumps. Her footwork was very good and it actually went with the music. Great dress and color on her.

I hope that Mao works out her jump problems, otherwise her other elements were excellent and I liked her program very much.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Team Europe!!! Hah! I thought we would get slaughtered. :rock: Great job, guys!

Thanks for pbp.

Love Laura's and Joannie's programs, very nice.

christinaskater

Medalist
I love Joannie's program! It was technically and artistically magnificent! Lovely music!

Laura has improved so much! Her interpretation and musicality is exquisite! She was mesmerizing!

Charlotte Elizabeth

On the Ice
Thanks a lot for videos!
From all ladies I have seen I admired Laura the most. She reminded me Sasha in some movements, hairstyle and her low sit spin. The program really suits her and she interpretates it nicely in her own way.
Joannie did a good job but she herself, not the program just does not make it for me. It seems too athletic as always for my taste.
Yukari's program suits her and I have a feeling she enjoys it. Too bad she fall so painfully in the begining. But overall intersting interpretation of music. Footwork looked a bit easy for me though.
Mao..very similar too last year's program. The music is gorgeous when performed on piano but orchetral version overpowers Mao's skating. I think she should have skated to piano version. From the other hand it does look difficult and can be a real hit if performed clean. Good new facial experessions. The program just looks very heavy for gentle Mao's skating for me.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I really liked Mao's program. The music is repetitive but I don't mind this time. Her expression and not just facially but with her whole body is 10000x improved. And that footwork was amazing.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I am a huge, huge fan of Rachmaninov - but boy, what a heavy program. It kind of depressed my Mum and me. Compared to that the waltz program was very light.