Japan Open | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Japan Open

bekalc

Record Breaker
I am a huge, huge fan of Rachmaninov - but boy, what a heavy program. It kind of depressed my Mum and me. Compared to that the waltz program was very light.

I like this program much more. Mao actually sells this program for me. I think Mao's expression has improved tremendously.

hauteor

On the Ice
I'm waiting for Jeremy's video. :frown: It was so wonderful. Why nobody uploads it?

Could be because at Elenas video calza00 says "So hot ;), uploading for this event is not, thanks.."

Even hers doesn't start at the begining of the program, so he's probably bored by now and won't be uploading anything else.

ae9177

On the Ice
I <3 Laura! :clap: She improved so much since last year, and yes, she does remind me of Sasha from time to time, but without the head case. :laugh: I'll add her into my favorite ladies' list.

Good for Joannie. :love: A PB at so early in the season, wow! First we saw Miki, then there comes Joannie, then Laura, the lady's field is finally getting excitied! :clap:

Don't know why Tarasova picked such a heavy music for Mao, it doesn't suit her personality at all. Good news is after GP she'll have plenty of time to rework it, I hope she'll ditch it and go with something that she feels confortable with.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I agree that Mao's facial expressions are a lot better. TAT also expresses absolute faith in Mao's presentation. She was like, "this is a very difficult piece of music to skate to, but Mao is the only one who could do it." It is nice to have a coach who is always so absolutely supportive. I recall that she did not do well with the last year's program at first and then it became better. I hope that it will be more convincing when she skates to its full potential.

hurrah

Medalist
I just saw Mao's performance and I am so disappointed.

I absolutely hate the dress. She should wear something more flowy with drapes. And it should be something lighter in color, like dusky purple.

I hate the fact that she is opening her mouth. I much prefer her to just focus on her skate and let the passion of her skate express itself.

The choreography is not that bad except that little part where she slaps herself to and fro. That really needs to go. Masochism and Mao is like water and oil.

I feel like crying....

herios

Medalist
I just watched Mao.

To me, the music raised some concern. I am afraid that I found the music heavy, slow, and repetitive. There was little change in the melody that made it difficult for me to find the highlight of the program. The music is definitely TAT's taste. But I liked the three Chopin pieces and Debussy by Nichol a lot better for Mao. IMO, the piano version of this music might have been more suitable for Mao. When Jeff skated to the piano version, it was delicately beautiful. Although I also found the last year's LP music heavy and repetitive, it was at least fast.

A good news is that Mao was a lot better in her facial expression than before.

The music is extremely heavy, way too dramatic. Almost overpowering.
Where is has her consistent 3 loop gone???? Took it out entirely?

ks777

Record Breaker
I just saw Mao's program.... I don't like it at all. She really should have gone back to Lori Nicols. Tarasova just doesn't suit her.
I have to say that I am much much more exicited about Miki Ando LP than Mao's.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It seems like Team Asada is trying to copy Yu-Na's style.

Mao can skate to anything well but I worry about this choice.

Also, they need to change her jump layout. It's really bad. She is wasting her combinations and she needs to include the Lutz - with the old technique, not the new one. Stop worrying about the edge and just do the jump. She always had great flow and air position on the Lutz. A solo 3T is such a waste. This would work a lot better:

3Axel
3Flip-3Loop
3Sal
-------
2Axel-3Toe
3Flip (out of footwork)
3Lutz-2Loop-2Loop (out of footwork)
3Loop (near the end of the program; she can do this jump like it's nothing)

Mehdi

On the Ice
Mao ...
Great expression, great choreography, great moves but ouch ! What on earth is this dispressing repetitive horror of a music ???

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am a huge, huge fan of Rachmaninov - but boy, what a heavy program. It kind of depressed my Mum and me. Compared to that the waltz program was very light.

My mother said that the music was boring. In the Olympic year, I think it important to pick a piece that non-skating fans can easily associate. I feel that a personality like Fumie might have skated to it better.

Somehow the happy Mao says that she likes it a lot and that it is full of highlights. I hope that we could see that next times.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I love Joannie's S&D so much more than Aranjuez!!
Not sure I love it as much as Firebird or Don Juan, but I can totally see her
winning OGM with a performance like here.

Mao's Prelude is a vast improvement over Masquerade, but jumps should be there, and I'm appalled she's keeping the same jump layout that cost her so many placements last season.
Is it me, or her flip technique became a bit odd, sort of like her new lutz entry?

I heart Laura, and she's been fairly consistent with the lutz lately. She needs to plan her layout so that whenever she misses the 3-3, she should replace one of the axels with a 3toe. She hasn't been hitting 3-3 for a while, and she needs to really think about points. Glad to see her hitting 7+ in all the areas of pcs.

Yukari, ditch the program and that leotard ASAP! She took the theme of Firebird much too literal, and she looks like a phoenix/pheasant. If she still wants that Olympic spot, she should be going back to Capriccio Espagnol or Giselle. With her jumps as they have been recently, I can easily see Fumie or Akiko easily topping her. Yukari can't afford to lose pcs point with a less-than-spectacular program.

herios

Medalist
It seems like Team Asada is trying to copy Yu-Na's style.

Mao can skate to anything well but I worry about this choice.

Also, they need to change her jump layout. It's really bad. She is wasting her combinations and she needs to include the Lutz - with the old technique, not the new one. Stop worrying about the edge and just do the jump. She always had great flow and air position on the Lutz. A solo 3T is such a waste. This would work a lot better:

3Axel
3Flip-3Loop
3Sal
-------
2Axel-3Toe
3Flip (out of footwork)
3Lutz-2Loop-2Loop (out of footwork)
3Loop (near the end of the program; she can do this jump like it's nothing)

Very doubtful she could tackle a 3 toe behind a 2 axel. She just learned it recently. For others this is the easiest triple, not for her. I am sure she could do the loop there, but she is most of the time nailed with an UR on her 3 loop in combo.

camion

On the Ice
Wow, Joannie was strong. I think we really have to watch out for Joannie this year.:love:

I hope Yukari is gonna be okay. I really don't like the pants look on ladies, let alone for an Olympic year.

I'm probably in the minority here (from reading your guys posts)- I actually really liked Mao's program. I know some say it's Masquerade all over again, but if she is more solid on the jumps it'll be a great & powerful program. The dress was eh, but I never really liked what she wears.

zephyrskates

On the Ice
That music is so drab and heavy. It barely speeds up, then you hear those seven notes over and over again. It feels as though that music weighs down the audience...

I admit I'm impressed at how good mao's expression is. I love the skating in the program and a few parts of the program but not the whole program itself.

oxade21

Match Penalty
I think Mao's program has potential. I would even call it a choreographic masterpiece.
IF skated clean with all jumps landed, she could beat clean Yu-Na. I guess the boring impression come from the fact that it was not skated well tonight. But in Vancouver, this will be the program to remember if nailed.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Just wondering about Mao's consistency on 3A. What's the success rate of her CLEAN 3A jumps? I don't think she can beat Yu-Na even with two 3A's in her free program with the consistency she showed at JO. If one can't jump one 3A effortlessly, how can she perform two CLEAN 3A's? During her program, she really looked scared and I felt she was chased by something.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I'm probably in the minority here (from reading your guys posts)- I actually really liked Mao's program. I know some say it's Masquerade all over again, but if she is more solid on the jumps it'll be a great & powerful program. The dress was eh, but I never really liked what she wears.

I liked the second half of Mao's program, after the spiral sequence. It's the first half that really looks like the masquerade again. I thought her step sequence was probably the most creative step in the CoP. I just hate the mouth gap.

I hate the fact that she is opening her mouth. I much prefer her to just focus on her skate and let the passion of her skate express itself.

Mouth gaps are this year's Torino Biellmans!!! :laugh: :rofl:

Just wondering about Mao's consistency on 3A. What's the success rate of her CLEAN 3A jumps? I don't think she can beat Yu-Na even with two 3A's in her free program with the consistency she showed at JO. If one can't jump one 3A effortlessly, how can she perform two CLEAN 3A's? During her program, she really looked scared and I felt she was chased by something.

She kind of did. At the GPF of 2008.

Last edited:

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Why should we excuse a program just because the jumps aren't there? IMO, jumps alone shouldn't make up an entire program. There needs to be a cohesive, clear theme and that's where choreographing in between the jumps comes in. Look at Laura's FS. Her program was marred with erred jumps, but it was still a good, enjoyable program. Her jumps didn't define her program.

If a program is good only if the jumps are there, that tells us there is a lot of choreography in between the jumps that is missing.

Last edited: