Japan Open | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Japan Open

MKFSfan

Medalist
It would be energy draining, but I wonder why none of them take advantage of attempting 8 triples if it is allowed/possible to do so. The most I've ever seen attempted is 7 triples by a lady.

Because under the rules, one would need a 3ax AND a 3/3, 2ax/3 or 3/3 sequence in order to achieve an 8 triple program. Very few women have the 3ax. Mao is probably the only one who can come close.

Kimmie at one time was rumored to be trying for it (3ax, 3flip/3toe, 3lutz/3toe, 3lutz, 3 salchow, 3loop).

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think this is my reason for confusion. I don't believe I've ever seen stated in the ISU rule book where the maximum of triples allowed is 8 for the ladies. And again, if so allowed, why has no lady ever attempted 8 triples in a LP?

Few lady can land 3+3 combination, left alone 3A, so the 2A already took one jumping pass. That leave you with one jumping pass as 3+3 for 7 triples program or two jumping passes with two 3+3 combinations.

Mao can do: 3A, 3F+3Lo, 3Lz, 3Lo, 3F+3T, 3S, 2A+2Lo+2Lo (8 triples program)
or 3A,3F+3Lo, 3Lz, 3Lo, 3F+2Lo+2Lo, 3S, 3T+2T (or 3T or 2A+3T) or sub one of the triple with second 3A+2T (which will be more risky than 2 triple-triple combinaitons).

Mao nailed two 3+3 three times in 07/08 season at GPF, 4CC and World 2008, so now that she has solid 3S, she can well do 8 triples program. Of course most important thing is fullying rotating than all as if she gets < on 2 or more triples, she is out of the running for Gold.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao can do: 3A, 3F+3Lo, 3Lz, 3Lo, 3F+3T, 3S, 2A+2Lo+2Lo (8 triples program)
or 3A,3F+3Lo, 3Lz, 3Lo, 3F+2Lo+2Lo, 3S, 3T+2T (or 3T or 2A+3T) or sub one of the triple with second 3A+2T (which will be more risky than 2 triple-triple combinaitons).

so now that she has solid 3S

I haven't seen evidence that Mao has a solid 3Axel, 3Salchow, or 3Lutz. These are all inconsistent jumps for her in competition. I think she should go back to the wrong edge takeoff for the Lutz jump, making it a flutz. Trying to do the jump on the correct edge has really thrown her off in competition. I think she tried to correct the technique way too late in the game to have a true 3Lutz ready for the 2010 Olympics. She should have started relearning the jump the correct way back in the 2006-2007 season. You can only blame that on the coaching team though for ignoring it for so long. I've seen her miss many more 3Salchows than I've ever seen her land in competition. The 3Axel is totally hit or miss for her. I think she should limit that risky jump for only 1 jumping pass. Just think, if she were to miss both passes at it, that would be a HUGE point loser for her and 2 out of a permissible 7 wasted jump passes.

I think the ideal jump layout for Mao would be:
3Axel
3flip+3loop
3Salchow (get this troublesome jump for her over with early)
x3flutz (she'll take a -GOE hit for the wrong edge takeoff, so she must do this jump in the latter 2 minutes to get the bonus points to make up for the "e" loss)
x2Axel+3toe
x3flip+2loop+2loop
x3loop

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
You know I have to admit I was kinda hoping Mao would go for 8 triples this Season, including the 3A, it was either that or two 3Axels, I couldn't decide. Lol, as if I'm the one skating.:laugh: Whatever her decision, I'm behind her 110%, whatever she feels most comfortable with, whatever works for her. :)

Still, that said, I'm wondering if she will be playing around with her jumps this season, trying to decide what works best. I recall Sarah Hughes did this, she started out her Olympic Season with 6 triples (which included one 3/3 combo.) at Skate America & at Skate Canada, then at the GPF she did 7 triples (which included one 3/3 combo. & also a 2A/3T combo.), and at Nationals she landed 7 triples (no 3/3 combos.; she also might've included a 2A/3T combo. here as well though), then of course she peaked at the 2002 Olympics with 7 triples (which included 2 3/3 combos.). I'm wondering if Mao Asada will do something similar in terms of building & building & building! I honestly expect this, but trying to figure out what her final jump layout will be is both exciting & frustrating, lol.

Judging by Mao's personal best SP score at 2009 WTT (which included a 3A/2T combo.), I expect her to keep this jump layout for her SP this year. I hope so, as I honestly feel she will need it. But the FS is another matter all together. Her personal best FS score at 2007 Worlds included the following:

steps into 3A, 2A/3T, 3F/3R, 2A, 3L, 3F, 3R/2R/2R

Yet her personal best Overall Score for both programs was at 2009 WTT, wherein the FS included the following:

3A, 3A/2T, 3F/2R/2R, 3R, 3F/2R, 3T-steps into-2A sequence

So I'm wondering what's going to happen!?!:bow::unsure::confused::rock:

Thank you, Mao, for keeping me on the edge of my seat, literally, as I never know what to expect, lol, but that's part of the joy of being a fan of yours! You're never dull or boring.:cool:

Barb

Record Breaker
ok, is very late for post here, but I have to say that I looooove Mao´s new program, yes at first I said what is this?:frown2::confused:, but like the third review I love it, and I don´t mind if she fail the jumps, is very early.
too, I think that the most of you don´t like is because the music and that is very different mao´s style, but is a good change for her.

I can´t wait for teb:rock:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome to Goldenskate, chapis! We can't wait for TEB either!!!

What a great lineup it has.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
wow, takahashi's programs rock! i loved his short in particular. but both programs are winners in my book. i want to compare his programs to chan's and lambiel's soon.