Competitive vs Recreational | Golden Skate

Competitive vs Recreational

bondgirl

Rinkside
It's for fun, people, geeze!:sheesh:
Do any of you skate recreationally? It seems like on most of these boards the posters are all competitive skaters, (ie. take lessons, tests, compete.) I am in a kind of "strange" position because I am an adult "recreational" skater (do not take lessons, don't want to test or compete), who is too advanced to skate sessions (can land doubles) because it gets dangerous so I need to skate the freestyle practice sessions....however, I don't bother joining club, USFS or taking lessons. (I took plenty of lessons years ago on roller.;)) Anyways....because I skate for fun, I skate my way....that is, I wrap my jumps. I have flat landings. (Big deal. I do this for fun people.) Also, I don't bother with ice edges, MITF etc. Only need open mohawk and forward 3 for jump set ups so those are the only turns I am concerned with. Only interested in jumping and jump spins. No desire to practice anything else. Why should I? It's for fun. Yes, I only want to jump. Yes, I skate choppy and do not "flow" on the ice but WHO CARES??? It's for fun, and jumping is what I enjoy doing....
I am very careful of the other skaters and always give right of way to anyone who competes....HOWEVER.....
The competitive skaters/coaches make snarly remarks. (Sometimes to my face. Usually to my back.) :cry: And I hear them.
Why does my having fun bother them?:scratch: One adult skater (competitive) noted with a smile that if all I wanted to do was jump I could just buy a trampoline and put it in the backyard. It would be cheaper.....cute.....:sheesh: (No, she was not trying to "help.") Maybe the coaches are disappointed that I'm not paying for lessons....(probably)...;) ...But why do they have to do this? Do any other recreational skaters (if there are any on this board) have this problem?

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
To be honest the only piece of advice i would have is ignore any comments that those people make and continue to have fun doing your own thing.

It is a waste of time and energy trying to reason with people who do not agree with what you do so short of ignoring them there is very little that you can achieve by engaging them and persuading them to not care about what you're doing.

In all honesty i suspect a lot of the back chat you're hearing may well be coming from a good place, like perhaps the coaches longing to work with you to "clean up" your technique which might result in improvements like higher/longer jumps etc (maybe even squeaking out triples??). It's clear from what you say that you have a lot of raw talent from the roller experience you have so it is probably very likely tht the coaches would want to work with such a talented adult.

If you were to have any interest in seeking more formal coaching then it might be worth talking hypothetically through with a prospective coach. The coach/student relationship is very different as an adult to the one you will have experienced as a child. As an adult paying for their own coaching you can dictate whatever it is you want from your coach. You could approach a coach and explain that you only wish to work on jumps/spin and nothing else and see where this takes you - it could be that one short lesson a week/fortnight might benefit the skills you enjoy doing. If not, then simply block out everyone else and just enjoy the fun you are clearly already having :)

Ant

bondgirl

Rinkside
Thanks, Ant. :)

I feel better now. Just got upset yesterday. Overheard a remark. Don't think the coach in question ment for me to hear it, but I did. It was kind of mean......:frown:

Anyways, you are right.:yes: Best to ignore it. ("Sticks and stones"...) Probably just being oversensitive....:boohoo:

Just seems sometimes the competitive skaters forget I am a "rec" skater since I am skating on "their turf" (freestyle practice session), so to speak.

i love to skate

Medalist
Just a question - how is it that you are able to skate during a club's freestyle sessions without being a member of the club or the US Association? I would think this situation causes all lot of liability issues, or am I mistaken? I know here in Canada this would bring up a lot of liability issues. Just curious!

mskater93

Record Breaker
In Illinois, most of the FS time is Open and run by the rinks not the club. If the OPs situation is similar, this would explain how they could skate on a FS session.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I couldn't have said it better than Antmanb. If you get tired of doing the same old thing and want to learn some new tricks or do your jumps better, you can always ask for a few lessons from one of the coaches there, but in the meantime, try to understand that these poor coaches probably just can't help themselves. . . Skating tends to attract obsessive, perfectionist, achiever types, and you aren't like that, even though you are good enough to land doubles. That makes you quite the anomaly on a freestyle session and I'm sure it confuses the coaches to no end! :confused: :laugh:

sharupdi

Spectator
Do any of you skate recreationally? It seems like on most of these boards the posters are all competitive skaters, (ie. take lessons, tests, compete.) I am in a kind of "strange" position because I am an adult "recreational" skater (do not take lessons, don't want to test or compete), who is too advanced to skate sessions (can land doubles) because it gets dangerous so I need to skate the freestyle practice sessions....however, I don't bother joining club, USFS or taking lessons. (I took plenty of lessons years ago on roller.) Anyways....because I skate for fun, I skate my way....that is, I wrap my jumps. I have flat landings. (Big deal. I do this for fun people.) Also, I don't bother with ice edges, MITF etc. Only need open mohawk and forward 3 for jump set ups so those are the only turns I am concerned with. Only interested in jumping and jump spins. No desire to practice anything else. Why should I? It's for fun. Yes, I only want to jump. Yes, I skate choppy and do not "flow" on the ice but WHO CARES??? It's for fun, and jumping is what I enjoy doing....

bondgirl

Rinkside
Actually, the rink I'm talking about is not really "club" ice. It is a complex with several rinks (main focus is hockey, but it runs figure skating sessions on one rink all day). Anyone who can pay is allowed on for figure skating. You don't have to have a club or a USFS card. (Think I might have filled out a sheet with my health insurance info, but that's it.) :)
Do you usually have to have a culb/card to be allowed on freestyle ice? Was planning to take a trip up to Lake Placid sometime in the spring with hubby. (He is going fishing with friends up there.) Was hoping to stop by the Olympic rink and do a "walk on." Can't do that without a card? :scratch: Would love to skate there!! (Even just once.) :love:
Was hoping to avoid joining a club. (Trying to avoid paying club dues/USFS card fee. Since I will never test/compete, it seems like a waste.) But if it is the only way to skate on practice ice.....Don't most clubs allow visitors to "walk on"? Do they have to show a USFS card or ISI card? Isn't a health insurance card good enough?:confused:

i love to skate

Medalist
Well I get the impression that it is run differently than it is in the States but here the figure skating sessions are run by the club as the club is the one who books the ice. In order to skate with the club you must register with them through Skate Canada. Some clubs do allow you to do drop in sessions where you have to be registered with another club as you provide your Skate Canada number, your personal info (health number, emergency contact, etc), and you provide them with a cheque or cash.

If the ice is run by the complex who are the coaches employed by? In order to coach don't you need to be registered through the National Federation and hired by a club?

gkelly

Record Breaker
If the ice is run by the complex who are the coaches employed by? In order to coach don't you need to be registered through the National Federation and hired by a club?

It varies.

Around here, rinks hire coaches directly to teach group lessons.
Coaches who teach private lessons on rink-run freestyle sessions are independent contractors who pay a fee to each rink where they teach for the privilege of teaching on those sessions.
To teach on club sessions (of which there are few), they need to be approved to do so by the club's board of directors.

I'm not sure how the insurance works for each of those situations, but pretty much all the coaches would be members of the PSA and have insurance through that membership. Most rinks run some sort of independent background check.

To teach on club sessions, our club requires coaches to be US Figure Skating members and to have gone through the "greenlighting" process (background check). This greenlighting is also required for coaches to be credentialed at USFS events.

There are some lower-level coaches who teach only group classes and lower-level private lessons on public sessions and rink freestyles. They might be members of ISI and prepare their private students for ISI testing and competition but have nothing to do with the USFS. They don't teach on club sessions or bring their skaters to club test sessions and competitions. When and if those skaters want to move up to participate in USFS programs, they would probably need to switch coaches.

Different clubs may handle things differently, especially in areas where the rinks don't offer freestyle or dance sessions directly to the public and all figure skating ice time is contracted through the local club.

i love to skate

Medalist
It varies.

Around here, rinks hire coaches directly to teach group lessons.
Coaches who teach private lessons on rink-run freestyle sessions are independent contractors who pay a fee to each rink where they teach for the privilege of teaching on those sessions.
To teach on club sessions (of which there are few), they need to be approved to do so by the club's board of directors.

I'm not sure how the insurance works for each of those situations, but pretty much all the coaches would be members of the PSA and have insurance through that membership. Most rinks run some sort of independent background check.

To teach on club sessions, our club requires coaches to be US Figure Skating members and to have gone through the "greenlighting" process (background check). This greenlighting is also required for coaches to be credentialed at USFS events.

There are some lower-level coaches who teach only group classes and lower-level private lessons on public sessions and rink freestyles. They might be members of ISI and prepare their private students for ISI testing and competition but have nothing to do with the USFS. They don't teach on club sessions or bring their skaters to club test sessions and competitions. When and if those skaters want to move up to participate in USFS programs, they would probably need to switch coaches.

Different clubs may handle things differently, especially in areas where the rinks don't offer freestyle or dance sessions directly to the public and all figure skating ice time is contracted through the local club.

Thanks for the reply! I had no idea that there were such differences between Canada and the US in this regard. Here there are a few learn to skate programs that are run by the city governments or independent organizations who hire their own coaches. The majority are for kids who wish to learn to skate before participating in hockey. These programs do not teach figure skating though.

Most kids who are learning to skate do go through CanSkate and the coaches have to take accredited courses through the NCCP to get certified and be able to teach this. I assume green lighting is a Criminal Check and Child Abuse Check? Also, forgive my ignorance but what is ISI? I have never heard of it before. It's very interesting to learn how other countries are run!

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I assume green lighting is a Criminal Check and Child Abuse Check?
Yes: Coaches' registration process

Also, forgive my ignorance but what is ISI? I have never heard of it before.

ISI
As I understand it, this started in the US as a professional association of rink owners/operators. They offered learn-to-skate group classes before the USFSA started doing so. Among other activities they have developed an extensive recreational competition program for skaters who are not interested in as much formal testing and cutthroat competition as is found in USFSA. There are comparatively few skaters who stick with ISI up to the higher freestyle levels, at least not exclusively, but they do require some fairly difficult skills at the higher levels (e.g., axels and double jumps in both directions).

They are now an international organization for recreational skating and as I understand it have had a large influence in places like mall rinks in small Asian countries that (perhaps until recently) were not members of the ISU.

bondgirl

Rinkside
I have seen coaches from all the clubs (3) in the area teaching on the ice, so yes, I think they are "independant contractors" as gkelly said.

When I used to ice skate (2years ago) I did belong to the ISI. It was a lot easier to test since they don't have MITF but only a footwork sequence (it is already made up and is found in the back of the ISI book.) I tested up to level 5 but didn't bother going any higher because I didn't want to compete and there is an opposite direction jump (flip, loop or lutz) on level 7. (Didn't want to mess with that!) :unsure: ISI seems to have some "cooler" stuff in their competitions, (ie. rhythmic skating with ball, hoop or ribbon prop, artistic events that don't count technical difficulty of items etc.) Very cool!:cool:http://www.skateisi.com/site/

One of my friends (adult competitive skater) told me that I could get USFSA card without a club ("unattached"). Then, there wouldn't be a problem visiting other rinks. Guess card is not that expensive as joining club would be. Maybe it is worth it if I can use the card to skate practice sessions with. :think:

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
My club is only $5 more to join than a individual membership, so I don't know where you are. You can shop clubs as well as be an individual member.

I believe LP requires club membership to be on the their FS sessions. From the people I know who skate there (some not regularly), most FS ice is on the USA rink/32 rink, so I suspect you'd be disappointed because you wouldn't be on the 80 rink.

bondgirl

Rinkside
Cards and Clubs and Stuff

Bummer!:disapp:
Oh well, will write LP directly to see what the deal is. Could get USFSA card (unattached) if necessary.
Would like to skate at LP. :)

Wonder why freestyle ice requires club membership/USFSA cards?:think: Injury insurance? Don't want "the public" taking over the ice (beginners/hockey players etc. like in sessions)? Would think clubs would love to charge a (much higher) "walk on" fee and get the extra $$$.

mskater93

Record Breaker
They DO charge a higher walk on fee. There are plenty of skaters who go to LP for a short stint (esp in the summer) for the various camps.

bondgirl

Rinkside
Yes, I looked into adult camp, but was too late for this year. LP wrote back and said I didn't need USFSA card or club to attend, so that was good....Maybe will go next August.....:)

Tammi

On the Ice
Yes, I looked into adult camp, but was too late for this year. LP wrote back and said I didn't need USFSA card or club to attend, so that was good....Maybe will go next August.....:)
For planning purposes, August 4th-7th is the ice dance event. Walk on ice will be limited and most likely only available in the USA rink. Availability also depends on what hockey camps they have going on as well. The adult week is usually the last week of August. We haven't done much walk on ice in LP, but I don't recall them asking for any USFS information when my skater signed on. I do remember the cost being pretty high though if you weren't registered with a program. I want to say it was $25 for a 50-minute session.

bondgirl

Rinkside
Thanks for the info on LP. Wow !:eek: That does seem like a lot of $......Maybe I will wait until adult camp. Pay one fee and skate all week. :clap:

midori78

Rinkside
I'm also a recreational skater - I just started again after a long time since I was in an area where there wasn't a public rink available :( I just recently found an older rink which is actually used as a local hockey team's practice facility; and they have public sessions that are pretty much free-for-alls (which is where I've done all my skating). Only problem is when the hockey players occasionally run all over the place, sometimes right through the figure skaters >.< But that's a different subject altogether lol. At least it IS a place to skate....I'm not crazy about paying for a club membership either...sometimes even the figure skating clubs tend to hog the ice at times. I'm a bit choppy myself but at least I'm trying...Currently I can only do two-footed scratch spins and maybe a few revolutions on one foot....trying to get up to a half-axel at least. I have no plans on competing, besides, I'm already 31. So far I've only been to four 2-hr public sessions...with zero off-ice training.....teaching myself all the way =D