Ashley Wagner's 2009-2010 Season | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's 2009-2010 Season

cornell08

Final Flight
...because lovely Ashley deserves her own thread...and to the best of my clandestine search abilities while at work, didn't find any other general Ashley thread that already existed ;)

She updates her twitter alot, and follows whoever is following her, which I think is cool of her...but does anyone know how her programs are coming along? It sounded like she'd rearranged both programs completely-- which is nice to hear, since she must feel prepared enough to change it until it feels just right. I can't wait to see her compete in the Grand Prix!

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
I totally think Ashley deserves her own thread :). I read her Facebook posts as well; she usually sounds pretty optimistic, but she's also pretty vague, but I guess that's understandable. I think it's good she re-arranged her LP; because some of the elements (like her spiral!) really didn't fit the music. So hopefully the new arrangement will do the choreography and the music justice.
At some point she was talking about a 'new triple-triple combination'. Since she did the triple flip-triple toe last year (well, I don't think she ever actually landed one in competition; but she always intended to) so I'm guessing it's a different jump combo. I secretly hope she'll do something with a loop; but loops get downgraded so much in combinations :s (eg Miki Ando!)
As for her season... I don't know what to expect really. She hasn't really shown a lot of consistency in the 2008-2009 season. On the other I really do believe she has the elements, skating skills, speed, power and stamina to pull off great programs and make the Olympic team. But it's going to be hard and she knows it.
I'm really excited for her GP's; I wish I could afford going to Russia. I hope she grabs a medal at each of them but that too will be hard.
Also; on a more superficial note; I think her LP dress looks great! A lot better than last year :) (though I thought the one of last year was really original and went with the music very well; it wasn't very flattering)
All in all; I can only conclude GO ASHLEY!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Maybe we can have a thread to discuss if Ashley deserves her own thread. :biggrin:

Anyway, Ashley's recovery at Nationals was very impressive. 12th in the short, bouncing back to win the long. A lesser skater might have given up at that point. Of course, to be a champion, you can't get into situations like that in the first place.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I thought her programs were fantastic, but I agree that the element could have been re-arranged. What is her first GP event? With all the talk about Caroline and Mirari and their coaching changes and of course Sasha's return it might work to Ashley's benefit to stay under the radar as she has been doing.

sk8indel

On the Ice
I skate at the same rink as Ashley. Ashley's skating recently has been looking very good. Her jumps look quite consistant, and the programs look to be coming together really well. As for the comment about her dress last year, up close it was actually very magnificent, but it was hard to see the intracite beauty from further away.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hooray for a former Alaskan making it big on the ice! :rock:

I've loved watching her skate since her novice days. She's an amazing athlete and I wish her nothing but the best as she skates this season. I have every confidence she can make the team for Vancouver! After all that hard work she'll have deserved it!

Trewyn

Medalist
As for the comment about her dress last year, up close it was actually very magnificent, but it was hard to see the intracite beauty from further away.
I know! I saw a close-up of the skirt during the slow-mo replay of a layback during one of her GP's; and the skirt had so much detail; lovely autumn colours and many layers. I also loved the hair-do that went with it; I really think it was a good dress, but from far away it looked a little awkward.

Ashley's GP's are Cup of Russia and NHK.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I saw that link on another message board. They also have an interview with Mirai. Ashley seems to be ready for the upcomming season. And she's right, there are several girls who could make the team.

The trick as a fan is to root for your favorites without rooting against someone else's. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
"Figure Skater Ashley Wagner Faces Stiff Competition"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_cXPK9G8tM

Thanks.

You know, she seems very nice (to fans)- she's the only skater it seems that tweets regularly (at least once or twice a day), she'll respond to comments of encouragement and support, and she may even follow you back if you follow her. Very friendly. For those reasons she's my favorite skater to follow on there. I hope she's happy with how the season turns out for her, even if she winds up missing the Team. Kimmie was like that as well with her Twitter in the beginning (except for the "follow reciprocation") and then I guess bigger issues overwhelmed her.

So, Wagner's chances? I think a consistent performance (decent SP & LP) from her at Nationals would really help. She's struggled with consistency issues in past competitions and I think that will ultimately work against her if it comes down to a close decision, say between her and Flatt, or her and Zhang. I think strong showings at her GP events will help set the tone. She doesn't even have to medal if the fields are tough. Just hold her own, obtain scores that would be competitive with the other Americans.

Supersonic

Spectator
I think it`s also a really nice gesture of Ashley to ask her fans to be her "friends" on facebook, not just sign up as a fan. She comes across as a real person, not just a scripted pwetty pwincess. As to her skating I love her attitude and the fact that she combines athletism and power with elegance. Except for her flutz she has all the elements.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I'm a newcomer to the Ashley fan-wagon - her "ride or die" attitude made her a standout at Nationals and I think she has as good a shot as any of the ladies to make the Olympic team. With five or six viable candidate for the two spots, Nationals should be fun this year.

Actually, it will be fun to watch a Nationals where I can root for everyone without the angst that comes with the emotional tug. Wow. I'm not sure if I'm mature enough for a calm Nationals... :laugh:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Actually, it will be fun to watch a Nationals where I can root for everyone without the angst that comes with the emotional tug. Wow. I'm not sure if I'm mature enough for a calm Nationals... :laugh:

I know what you mean. It will be quite liberating for me. lol

cornell08

Final Flight
Welcome Supersonic! (I'm not sure if I have enough seniority to do so...is there some rule regarding this?.. anyhow) Post often, post long!

I agree that Ashley seems like one of the most down to earth elite skaters...although Caroline did accept my friend request and even wrote back on my wall once after I wished her a happy birthday :biggrin:. Rachael updates her twitter alot too but to be honest I can only stand so many posts about AP Lit, AP Bio, AP fjdslalfjkdlsa lol (although to be fair, I was JUST like her when I was in high school). Its like Caroline and food. Whereas with Ashley..."PBJ and a book...perfection : )" I mean cmon, thats pretty awesome.

And Bob-- I don't think you have anything to worry about-- Rachael, Alissa, Mirai, Caroline, Ashley....your favorites seem to cover just about everyone elses :laugh:
Also, could you link us to the Mirai video? Thanks!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Thanks for posting. I am surprised she said that she had a lot of disagreements with her coach (Charlene Wong) last year. At least she is honest. I hope that she and Frank have a good relationship. Frank is a no nonsense kind of guy. If you respect him and work hard everything goes smoothly. I have never seen him raise his voice and seems to have infinite patience and a sense of humor so I can see them getting along well.

cornell08

Final Flight
I'm not sure how I feel about Mirai unloading about Charlene yet again (sorry, I know this is an Ashley thread). The first few times, I found it interesting. Now, I just feel like she's using Charlene as a scapegoat. There didn't seem to be a 'trust' issue when she was winning eh? How I see it, trust is a two way street and takes two to tango. While I compliment her on her candor, I think that once everyone knows you've had issues with your coach, you don't need to keep bringing it up because thats their job and it could hurt their clientele. And we all know Mirai was pretty stubborn about competing with an injury last year.

There was another interview where Frank Carroll said that sometimes Mirai doesn't want to run through her programs and that she'll just leave the rink...If I were a coach, I'm not sure I'd want to coach Mirai. I'd probably rather coach Ashley or Rachael (Caroline would most likely drive me nuts too).

mskater93

Record Breaker
Actually, the comment was - if Mirai doesn't want to train as I ask her to, she can just leave the rink.

That being said, I want someone as a student who wants to be there and who won't second guess everything I ask them to do. I know you get a little of that anyway with the group - they are teens - but you want someone to trust you!!!

Here's hoping it's a well skated season for all the skaters, but I truly hope Ashley has a magical season.

Nigel

On the Ice
Welcome Supersonic! (I'm not sure if I have enough seniority to do so...is there some rule regarding this?.. anyhow) Post often, post long!

I agree that Ashley seems like one of the most down to earth elite skaters...although Caroline did accept my friend request and even wrote back on my wall once after I wished her a happy birthday :biggrin:. Rachael updates her twitter alot too but to be honest I can only stand so many posts about AP Lit, AP Bio, AP fjdslalfjkdlsa lol (although to be fair, I was JUST like her when I was in high school). Its like Caroline and food. Whereas with Ashley..."PBJ and a book...perfection : )" I mean cmon, thats pretty awesome.

And Bob-- I don't think you have anything to worry about-- Rachael, Alissa, Mirai, Caroline, Ashley....your favorites seem to cover just about everyone elses :laugh:
Also, could you link us to the Mirai video? Thanks!

Cornell08...to be fair...what high school senior isn't focused on grades if they are anticipating and working on college applications? Flatt is the only one of these girls still in brick and mortar high school. Alissa graduated from Bowling Green in May, Mirai and Caroline are doing online school, and Ashley is listed as attending Northern Virgina Community College. And, I did check out Flatt's most recent twitter page:
http://twitter.com/RachaelFlatt
someone asked her about school, and she responded. No other mention of school. Ashley chats about homework as well. Pretty typical for kids this age. Glad to see Ashley balancing college and skating as well! :)

Trewyn

Medalist
^^Actually; I think Ashley is taking a year off to focus on skating. She's graduated from high school, but she hasn't started college yet. So now it's basically skating and doing a little of teaching beginning to skate and adult classes in Wilmington. I know she wants to go to Georgetown next year (I don't know if she's already been accepted).