Patrick Chan withdraws from Rostelocom Cup | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan withdraws from Rostelocom Cup

Ximena

Final Flight
The news were posted over FSU, the link of the article is yet to appear, but it is confirmed news. He is witdhrawing due injury and there will be a press conference soon.

From FSU

Patrick Chan has withdrawn from the ISU Grand Prix Event Rostelecom Cup in Russia. Due to a tear in his left Lateral Gastrocnemius muscle, Chan will miss the competition in Moscow taking place October 22 – 25.

seniorita

Record Breaker
!!!
I was so waiting the chan vs plush battle and see how his phantom of the opera program turned out!
I hope he gets well soon!
could they invite anyone else now?Lambiel?

Ximena

Final Flight
When Lambiel announced he was fit to skate and there was a buzz that this would mean that he will get invites for the GP, it was stated that Lambiel will not accept any offer from Russia since he didn't want to face Plushenko so early in the season.

Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari will replace Chan.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plushy is not a monster..nobody wants to play with him?:frown:
I guess chan now will miss the GPF as well?

Wicked

Final Flight
When Lambiel announced he was fit to skate and there was a buzz that this would mean that he will get invites for the GP, it was stated that Lambiel will not accept any offer from Russia since he didn't want to face Plushenko so early in the season.

Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari will replace Chan.

I didn't hear that about Stéphane saying he did not want to face Plush so early. Where did you read that? I want to read it for myself to see how it was phrased- I mean is he really that scared of Plushenko?

Okami

On the Ice
I just read the article at FSU and I got a different impression. The article said that Stephane doesn't want to attend a GP event that would require him to travel overseas, because it would disrupt his training too much (and he still has a lot to work on). Then it added "since an early confrontation with the Olympic rival Plushenko was out of the question...", but I got a feeling that was a result of not being able to compete at CoR, not the reason. :)

ae9177

On the Ice
^^ But that doesn't make sense to me. Russia is not that far from Switzerland, it's a lot closer than Japan. He doesn't think attending Japan Open would disrupt his training but going to Russia would? :disapp:
Chan's injury doesn't seem to be serious, hopefully he'll be in top form at Skate Canada.
Too bad we won't be able to see the battle of PCS between Chan, Plushy and Lambiel till the Olympics. Probably they don't want to face Plushy early in the season either.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I read about this earlier today and my heart & sympathy go out not only to Patrick Chan, but ALL the competitors. Honestly, I cannot imagine the enormous Olympic Pressure that comes with being a legitimate contendor for Gold, in your home country no less. This must affect all of them. I hope to God they can ALL rise above it & give their best. Here's wishing them all much love & positivity.:love:

On a side note, I can't help but wonder that the men, especially those that have never competed against Evgeni Plushenko, must be thinking to go up against one of the greatest athletes of all time. It's not only an honor & a privilege, but also must be quite intimidating as well, to say the least. I know I would be shaking in my boots if I had to skate against Michelle Kwan.:bow:

i love to skate

Medalist
On a side note, I can't help but wonder that the men, especially those that have never competed against Evgeni Plushenko, must be thinking to go up against one of the greatest athletes of all time. It's not only an honor & a privilege, but also must be quite intimidating as well, to say the least. I know I would be shaking in my boots if I had to skate against Michelle Kwan.:bow:

I think most of them are looking forward to the challenge. However, it's quite a stretch to say that Plushenko is one of the greatest athletes of all time, IMO. He hasn't competed in four years after all...very much like Sasha Cohen in this regard....2010 is a very different landscape than 2006!

seniorita

Record Breaker
No matter his future place in competitions, he is one of legendary athletes anyway:p Like, If Michelle cant land a 3-3, that means she is not one of the greatest of all time anymore because the field has changed in 2010?
I was so looking to see Chan in Rostel and now I m disappointed, it is bizarre how many skaters wont meet together before Olys or Europeans, you cant make many conclusions, especially from Rostel...If there was a Grand Prix in each country, it looks like skaters would prefer to skate only there..

i love to skate

Medalist
No matter his future place in competitions, he is one of legendary athletes anyway:p Like, If Michelle cant land a 3-3, that means she is not one of the greatest of all time anymore because the field has changed in 2010?

I was just saying, in my opinion, I don't think he is one of the greatest athletes of all time. I find a lot of people are saying he is the one to beat and that the other skaters are going to have to rise up to beat him at the Olympics. Well, it has been four years since he last competed and the other skaters have continued to improve themselves and their programs. Plushenko never had the strongest footwork or spins and he benefited from generous scoring at many competitions. The skaters in 2010 are much stronger than his competition was in 2006 with many contenders for the gold.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont think he is the one to beat now either(not even close to that) and the gold contenders are many now which makes it exciting, but thats nothing to do with being one of the great athletes of figure skating, which i think is a fact rather than just my opinion:yes: Anyway, we wait to see now how Plushy is at Rostel

Nadine

Record Breaker
We all obviously have our favorites, lol, but let us come together to wish that ALL the athletes remain healthy & injury-free, and that each one can give their best, make it one for the ages!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::love::rock::thumbsup:

GOOD LUCK TO *ALL* THE MEN, WOMEN, PAIRS, AND DANCE!:party2:

Thank You, this coming from a lowly fan that simply loves skating.:bow:

i love to skate

Medalist
I dont think he is the one to beat now either(not even close to that) and the gold contenders are many now which makes it exciting, but thats nothing to do with being one of the great athletes of figure skating, which i think is a fact rather than just my opinion:yes: Anyway, we wait to see now how Plushy is at Rostel

Oh I definetly think he is a great figure skater just not one of the greatest athletes! We agree that the many contenders for gold make the Olympics so much more exciting! :thumbsup: I can't wait!

ETA:
New article on Patrick: (where he mentions competing against Plushenko as well)
http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...patrick-chan-believes-swine-flu-led-to-injury

He might have had a case of H1N1 as well! What a bad month and a half.

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
I just read the article at FSU and I got a different impression. The article said that Stephane doesn't want to attend a GP event that would require him to travel overseas, because it would disrupt his training too much (and he still has a lot to work on). Then it added "since an early confrontation with the Olympic rival Plushenko was out of the question...", but I got a feeling that was a result of not being able to compete at CoR, not the reason. :)

I just read the article and the way it is written you can't really tell where that "an early confrontation with Plushenko is out of the question" is coming from. Could have been strictly the writer's impression.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Awful, all these injures. First Sasha Cohen, poor thing. Then Patrick Chan and Domnina / Shabalin. No good.

psycho

On the Ice
Plushenko never had the strongest footwork or spins and he benefited from generous scoring at many competitions.

Name one competition he won that he didn't deserve. I can't think of any, but I can think of plenty of those for some of the current "stars"
The skaters in 2010 are much stronger than his competition was in 2006 with many contenders for the gold.
Really? I mean, really? Just because there are many people on a similar level, doesn't mean the level itself has risen. :rofl: