Trophée Eric Bompard 2009 News and practice reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Trophée Eric Bompard 2009 News and practice reports

Okami

On the Ice
Because I remember she said in an interview it's gonna be more light and fun program(or something like that. I don't remember exactly) I expected something..... different.

Exactly! Not to mention the fact that she was supposed to skate to a flute & orchestra arrangement of Masquerade. And it was supposed to look different. But this looks just like last season's LP with the same music. :(

I wonder if TAT plans to give Mao a different SP later in the season... (I hope so.)

And here's an article with Nobu:
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/091015/spm0910152048003-n1.htm
Nobu says that his SP is about 60% ready, his LP about 70%. He's feeling good and plans to not go crazy with jumps. Instead he wants to concentrate on steps and spins. :agree: It seems that his team is taking things slowly this season and is careful not to let Nobu peak to early... Smart! :agree:

katymay

Medalist
Tragically, I believe she got hit with the puberty stick. Very sad when one remembers how wonderful she was a few years ago. The lightness, energy and power seem to be gone. It is a cruel sport.

katymay

Medalist
I meant to quote the "what happened to Mao" post. That was sad to watch. Makes me wish that the ISU would eliminate the age restrictions so that skaters might actually enjoy the highs they achieve when they peak, and not try to hang on after puberty has reared its ugly head.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Addendum:

I don't think the Japanese media will ever learn. Case in point Miki Ando & Midori Ito. I'm glad Tatiana Tarasova is there to lay down the law to them.

Not only that, I've noticed the tremendous pressure that Mao's countrymen/women put on her, judging by a majority of the posts I've read on the 'net, not only on her fan forum.

Mao, drop Japan & come to America ~ we will welcome you with OPEN ARMS!!!!!!!!:love:

Yet that said, part of being a champion is being able to handle the pressure. I have faith that Mao can do so, as long as she skates for only one person ~ herself...

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Nice to see the updates on Mao and Kim

Can we please have more practice reports about other skaters, like I don't know Brian Joubert, The Kerrs, and Nav/Bom, anybody please

PS what time does the skating start US time.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tragically, I believe she got hit with the puberty stick. Very sad when one remembers how wonderful she was a few years ago. The lightness, energy and power seem to be gone. It is a cruel sport.

:eek: Damn, must be a terrible thing to grow up...

bekalc

Record Breaker
Going outside her comfort zone when it comes to music, during an Olympic Year no less, is part of this.

How is Mao challenging herself music wise when her short program is almost a complete copy of her long program last year, and her long program is also very similar musically. I don't see that challenging herself at all.

R.D.

Record Breaker
jee wiiz mao is doing fine; it is not like she has no triples lets come down on the puberty monster

kinda my point. And why is puberty a "monster" anyway? It's something that happens. One just has to adjust to it.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
How is Mao challenging herself music wise when her short program is almost a complete copy of her long program last year, and her long program is also very similar musically. I don't see that challenging herself at all.

I only saw bits of her new LP from Japan Open on YouTube, but I thought that was an odd choice of music.

I don't know why they went with that particular piece (and their SP as well), but I think that is DEFINITELY A CHALLENGE for her to execute the programs that do not seem to highlight her usual bright, airy qualities, in an Olympic year, no less.

In my view, she is challenging herself to go out of her comfort zone, whether it was her decision or not.

However, technically though, not fixing her lutz and instead going a bit overboard with the triple axels seem more of a desperate last resort.
Based on these clips of her underrotating or falling on 3A, that's a risky move.

Mao just seems a bit down on herself and tired, for some reason.
Is that due to the puberty like some have said, or is she over trained and stressed out or something?

Whatever the situation is with her, I hope to see her smiling face soon.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Seriously, we are going to need another Mao vs Kim thread for all of this Mao vs Kim debate so that we can save this thread for the OTHER skaters within the competition.

Folks there are more than TWO skaters at this competition lets widen the conversation to talk about them.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
jee wiiz mao is doing fine; it is not like she has no triples lets come down on the puberty monster

Um - did you WATCH the video of either the practice or that comp a week or so ago? If Mao were say - BB - then I'd agree but its scary when a hardcore contender looks so "off" a day before hitting competition ice. I agree she has some triples, but at that level, she's gonna need ALL the triples to compete.

kinda my point. And why is puberty a "monster" anyway? It's something that happens. One just has to adjust to it.

Blaming puberty is the latest form of "her dog ate her homework." just an excuse. All the skaters go through puberty and some don't do as well as other but a coach once told me there's only one cure for the puberty blues: WORK HARDER. (gosh, I'm cranky today...)

That's my line!

:laugh::laugh:

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Seriously, we are going to need another Mao vs Kim thread for all of this Mao vs Kim debate so that we can save this thread for the OTHER skaters within the competition.

Folks there are more than TWO skaters at this competition lets widen the conversation to talk about them.

I think the problem is that so far, the lone practice report from Paris showed only two skaters.

Or at least on the clips that are posted here.

I would love to know what's going on with the rest of the skaters, but does anyone know???

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just back from lunch, I'm psyched!:thumbsup:

I too am just waiting for reports from the other disciplines, in particular dance. :)

Hopefully I'll get some work done today, lol. :biggrin:

On a serious note, I really am worried about the pressure Mao's receiving from the Japanese press, but she *must* rise above it, this is part of being a champion. Yet despite all that I cannot help feeling sorry for her.

As a country, Japan tops the list when it comes to teenage suicides, wherein the youngster studies hard & does not get into thee presitigious university. The pressure to be p-e-r-f-e-c-t is moreso in Japan than any other country IMHO. Korea's right behind. Here's an article about it:http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_cerralbo/20040527.html

I honestly feel that Japan would have won more Olympic Gold Medals if they didn't pressure their athletes so much (e.g. Midori Ito).

I'm glad I'm an American, my country doesn't expect me to be perfect.

GOOD LUCK, MAO!!!!:love:

P.S. kudos to Yuna Kim, she looks like a World Champion, and seems to be dealing with the pressure like a champion. Though I'm a Mao Fan, I cannot help but admire this.:)

i love to skate

Medalist

I agree! It gets so tiring having to flip through page after page reading about these two!

bekalc

Record Breaker
I only saw bits of her new LP from Japan Open on YouTube, but I thought that was an odd choice of music.

I don't know why they went with that particular piece (and their SP as well), but I think that is DEFINITELY A CHALLENGE for her to execute the programs that do not seem to highlight her usual bright, airy qualities, in an Olympic year, no less.

In my view, she is challenging herself to go out of her comfort zone, whether it was her decision or not.

However, technically though, not fixing her lutz and instead going a bit overboard with the triple axels seem more of a desperate last resort.
Based on these clips of her underrotating or falling on 3A, that's a risky move.

Mao just seems a bit down on herself and tired, for some reason.
Is that due to the puberty like some have said, or is she over trained and stressed out or something?

Whatever the situation is with her, I hope to see her smiling face soon.

I don't want to sound all anti Mao in what I'm saying. Because I love Mao's skating. But I think there's a difference between challenging yourself, and making not great choices.

I love that Mao is doing away with pretty pretty princess programs. But I think there is all kinds of music that would be different from her and yes challenging because of the type of moods she can convey, that Mao is currently NOT trying.

I'd love to see Mao have a program where she put together dramatic Mao and lighter Mao, something that hasn't happened which I think would actually be challenging for her, and would also allow her to highlight her strengths.

I think not highlighting your strengths is a not very smart strategy...Surely there's a way to challenge yourself artistically while showcasing your strengths.

In the case of Mao though my biggest feeling is challenge is good and stuff, I think that consistency is important too. I feel like Mao is always moving to the latest trick, and I think she would be very well served it she took a deep breath stopped and started just working on perfecting the tricks she already has...

Instead of working on a triple axel/triple toe, why not work on getting her triple flip/triple toe consistent? Then once she has that consistent and solid, then put effort on moving to the triple axel/triple toe. I.e triple flip/triple toe and a solid triple loop could be a winning short program plan for Mao. I mean its awesome that Mao wants to do all these cool skills but it seems like the cool skills are at the expense of her consistency and at the expense of winning.

I do wish though there were clips of Kostner, I have a feeling she could be a big factor at this competition.

zartian

Rinkside
Yuna is in great shape, she'll be invincible at TEB!
Mao doesn't look good, what's going on with her?
Can't wait to see the new Caro. She may surprise everybody in Paris.
:

I also hope Caro will surprise us. Go Carolina~!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, this thread will be about Mao and Yu-Na until somebody posts a practice report about the other ladies.