Domnina/Shablin withdraw from NHK | Golden Skate

Domnina/Shablin withdraw from NHK

Okami

On the Ice
They withdrew from both of their events. :( Most probably Maxim is nursing an injury again. :(

sillylionlove

Medalist
wow sorry to hear that. This is turning out to be a really weird Olympic year so far and the Grand Prix hasn't even started yet!!!

lcd

Match Penalty
So tough with these injuries. The demands on dancers are quite underestimated in my view. Yes they're not doing the big acrobatic throws, but It is the discipline that seems to most require that everything difficult look easy.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Oh no, not another one of these seasons. I wonder who will make it to February, never mind skate well. Who knows who will win by default alone? I hope they get well soon.

Wicked

Final Flight
I'm hoping that those who have dropped out of their GP events will nice and rested by Feb and ready to go.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Maybe I'm a bit too honest, but don't you think that, the ONLY chance of this boring, arteficial, weak team to use their (undeserved) World Champion title from last year and the diplomacy of Linichuk to win an OGM?

Of course they HAVE to go to Vancouver as a World Champion (maybe also in front of carefully selected judges again) than loosing something before with more honest panel of judges here?

Just my 5 cents...

wonderland

Rinkside
Maybe I'm a bit too honest, but don't you think that, the ONLY chance of this boring, arteficial, weak team to use their (undeserved) World Champion title from last year and the diplomacy of Linichuk to win an OGM?

Of course they HAVE to go to Vancouver as a World Champion (maybe also in front of carefully selected judges again) than loosing something before with more honest panel of judges here?

Why use such vicious tongue to describe this team? Simply because they are a real threat to your favorite in Vancouver? If you think they are boring, artificial, and weak, they will be judged to be boring, artificial, and weak in front of the so-called more honest panel judges. How absurd logic it is!:laugh:

Last edited:

Big Deal

Final Flight
You forgot my VERY important anouncement:

"Just my 5 cents.".

I have no favourite team in Vancouver. I just get angry when a team winning like they did it last time.

Just remind you to some of the Olympic Champions before.
Pahomova-Gorskov,
Torvil-Dean,
Grischuk-Platov,
Klimova-Ponomarenko,
Anissina-Peizerat.

I think, there are some couples ( at least 3-4)nowdays, who deserves to be in this group., but not with that mediocre performance. Until this time there is no one single remarkable move made by them.

Another 5 cents:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Eszterbeszti

Rinkside
Why use such vicious tongue to describe this team? Simply because they are a real threat to your favorite in Vancouver? If you think they are boring, artificial, and weak, they will be judged to be boring, artificial, and weak in front of the so-called more honest panel judges. How absurd logic it is!:laugh:

Why absurd? Bigdeal see them weak. But it's possible that the judges will see them good.
I used to like them, but now they are boring for me, they do the same elements, that are nice. The judges give points to that night's performance and don't care that they did neraly the same last year. Plus they have a well known coach, who helps a lot.
I haven't seen their new OD and FD, but Virtue and Moir have fantastic and unforgetable programmes, I'm sure the canadians are better.

katha

On the Ice
Wow, the tone here sure is vicious. You may not like certain skaters, but to declare them useless? V/M the only one deserving a gold medal before seeing the programs of the other teams? Being glad that someone is seriously injured just because it means that they can't skate and beat your precious, precious favourites?

Honestly posts like that make me wish that they win the gold in Vancouver just to see the heads on the message boards explode...

Big Deal

Final Flight
Dear Katha,
Where have you read anybody wishing the injury getting worse???

Nobody was even closed to say so. I'm a surgeon!

I just said, it would be pitty to see a mediocre team to win OGM, when there are some excellent teams, who could be a worthy Champion.
I also didn't mentioned V/M in any of my post (they are better than Dom/Shab I think, but not my necessary favourites to win.)
Don't give words in my mouth, I've never used, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Dear Katha,
Where have you read anybody wishing the injury getting worse???

Nobody was even closed to say so. I'm a surgeon!

I just said, it would be pitty to see a mediocre team to win OGM, when there are some excellent teams, who could be a worthy Champion.
I also didn't mentioned V/M in any of my post (they are better than Dom/Shab I think, but not my necessary favourites to win.)
Don't give words in my mouth, I've never used, please.
Well, Katha didn't just talk about you, but probably also about the post above you that said
Jasper said:
If they miss the whole season, I won't miss them one bit.
- and this post is basically saying that the poster wishes that the injury becomes worse or is very bad to begin with. And someone else mentioned V/M. She wasn't just talking to you.

I am very excited for Dom/Shab's new programs. I agree, they rested a bit on their laurels during the last three years, while they skated to nothing but the "The greatest hits of Russian classical music".

But this year their music choices sound amazing and remind me much more of Dom/Shab around 2006.

By the way, before Dom/Shab became No.1 Russians, they were very well loved, even among Northern American fans. Lots of international fans argued that they were right up there with the No.1 Russian pair, and didn't like that they were forced to wait for their turn and lost out on several medals because of that. The hostilities against them began when they started to be a threat to the Northern American teams. Their unimaginative music choices since then didn't help, for sure. But over the years I learnt that ice-dance fans are vicious against whoever their favourites are in danger to lose. Just read the Virtue/Moir vs. Davis/White thread from 4CC 2008 - you get the feeling that basically both teams are the worst ever or the best ever.

What I love about DomShab is that they look so evenly matched out there. There is such power to them, I saw them live and when they are out there - it's just impressive. They would look ridiculous skating to something like Umbrellas de Cherbourg though, because let's face it, lyrical they are not. But I love that they manage to do a mean Tango, as well as perfect Waltzes. Their freeskate from the Olympics is my favourite program from them, so beautiful.

It's always ironic, IMO, when a poster defends a skater or team by attacking another poster.

Lots of skaters and teams are unpopular. Get used to it. The boards are full of criticism and different opinions, and that's what makes them interesting.

Fights between posters, on the other hand, are pretty boring. :sheesh:

katha

On the Ice
I apologize for the very confrontational tone of my post. Will try to keep my emotions in check, even if it is in defense of favourite skaters. :)

But I maintain that sometimes the tone when talking about DomShabs can get very frustrating for someone who likes them. Criticizing them for obvious weaknesses in their skating, program choices they make (believe me, I'm tired of the endless Dramatik!Programs! as well ;)) is one thing. Being deeply offended that they dare exist is another. OTOH, it is ice dance and the discussion therefore even more heated because the discipline is so deeply subjective. As my outbursts prove. :laugh:

And I guess that some of the vitriol hurled at them comes with the territory of being the No. 1 Russian dance team. Beating North American teams, too. And perhaps difference in culture? I'm European and perhaps more receptive to their concept of presentation and artistry? I often read criticism of their exaggerated gestures, heavy music, agression etc. And while, yeah, they could be more varied in their musical selection, they pull off those heavy themes very convincingly IMO. Contrast that for example with Mao who to me looks absolutely smothered by her programs. DomShabs OTOH command the ice.

About the injuries, no, it's never said in so many words, but here in this thread and in the Dance thread in the general forum several posters said they wouldn't be sad if DomShabs don't skate this season. As Medusa said, what else does it imply but wishing that Maxim's injury doesn't get better? (And no, IMO it's not the same at all as saying that you don't care for their style. His injury problems are well known. What else would them missing the season mean but that his knees haven't gotten better?) Now, I personally sometimes find V/M, their fake lovey-dovey-ness and Tracy Wilson endlessly declaring them the next T/D rather tiresome. ;) Doesn't mean that I was glad that Tessa missed a lot of last season because of injury. These are all very dedicated and hard-working athletes.

Last edited:

magicalwords

On the Ice
Is Maxim injured again? I really hope they come back strong! :)
It's always sad to see skaters / ice dancers drop out because of injury.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
About the injuries, no, it's never said in so many words, but here in this thread and in the Dance thread in the general forum several posters said they wouldn't be sad if DomShabs don't skate this season. As Medusa said, what else does it imply but wishing that Maxim's injury doesn't get better? Now, I personally sometimes find V/M, their fake lovey-dovey-ness and Tracy Wilson endlessly declaring them the next T/D rather tiresome. ;) Doesn't mean that I was glad that Tessa missed a lot of last season because of injury. These are all very dedicated and hard-working athletes.

I don't see that. Especially in context.

Let say that instead of saying "If they don't skate this season, I wouldn't miss them," someone said "I have no interest in their style or programs and as a result find nothing noteworthy about them." What's the difference?

mishieru07

On the Ice
I don't see that. Especially in context.

Let say that instead of saying "If they don't skate this season, I wouldn't miss them," someone said "I have no interest in their style or programs and as a result find nothing noteworthy about them." What's the difference?

I'm with ImaginaryPogue on that. I don't think any figure skating uber fan could possibly be so vicious as to wish a skater never recovers fully/ gets injured. As fans, we know how hard skaters work and we respect that, regardless of whether they're our favourites or not (well if you don't, you're really narrow-minded imo). Saying that they don't care whether they skate or not probably means that he/she isn't interested in their programmes.

I'm no DomShabs fan and am also miffed at the judging at Worlds but I wish them all the best (I don't blame them for the results last year; I blame the judges)! I'm really curious about their OD though! Hopefully, we'll get some vids from Russian Nats and Europeans.