2010 Olympic Medals Revealed...Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2010 Olympic Medals Revealed...Thoughts?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
But I loved the donuts! Maybe it's just that I'm a fat kid at heart, but I felt that they were by far the most memorable medals in recent memory.

yeah me to. I did not like them at first, but grew to love them very quickly. I hate these "potato chip" medals though. They look like those mistakes we made in high school ceramics class.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I am in love with the design! There is so much meaning behind the design. Here is the video that describes the design and the one that was played as they were revealed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkQsXls7m0o

I think the medals are beautiful. Would have loved to have one...in which sport..hm..what was I good at...actually no winter sport, but if girls could have played hockey in my time then that would have been it :chorus:

Ladskater: I don't see the medals from your link :scratch:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It's a bit too politically correct to my taste. It probably doesn't matter what I feel though. For each athlete who earns his/her medal, it is the most beautiful thing.

i love to skate

Medalist
It's a bit too politically correct to my taste. It probably doesn't matter what I feel though. For each athlete who earns his/her medal, it is the most beautiful thing.

Just curious...what do you mean that it is too politically correct?

dizzydi7

On the Ice
My first impression is that they look bent like they were run over by a truck and someone said, "this looks artistic"!

Dizzy

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
i love to skate:

It probably reveals more of my bias against "political-correct-thought-police" than about the artists who collaborated in creating these medals. I see they are beautiful representations of Vancouver, and I have no doubt about the sincerely of collaboraters.

My suspicion is directed toward the selection processof the artist. For instance, the original art is based on two large master artworks of an orca whale (Olympic) and raven (Paralympic) by Corrine Hunt, a Canadian designer/artist of Komoyue and Tlingit heritage based in Vancouver, BC.

I doubt she was the only artists bidding for the contract, as it would be a huge honor for being selected to be the modal artist. I'm wondering who else were among considerations but were rejected.

The emphasis on the nature, environment, and native art reveal the values and priorities of the selection committee. Perhaps I am reacting to the current (in my mind, too much emphasis) on environmentalism and global warming hysteria to the extent some almost elevate them to religion.

i love to skate

Medalist
i love to skate:

It probably reveals more of my bias against "political-correct-thought-police" than about the artists who collaborated in creating these medals. I see they are beautiful representations of Vancouver, and I have no doubt about the sincerely of collaboraters.

My suspicion is directed toward the selection processof the artist. For instance, the original art is based on two large master artworks of an orca whale (Olympic) and raven (Paralympic) by Corrine Hunt, a Canadian designer/artist of Komoyue and Tlingit heritage based in Vancouver, BC.

I doubt she was the only artists bidding for the contract, as it would be a huge honor for being selected to be the modal artist. I'm wondering who else were among considerations but were rejected.

The emphasis on the nature, environment, and native art reveal the values and priorities of the selection committee. Perhaps I am reacting to the current (in my mind, too much emphasis) on environmentalism and global warming hysteria to the extent some almost elevate them to religion.

Thank you for your well written post! It's always nice to read some different points of view. :) There was a contest where artists from Canada and the World could submit their designs for the medals. Here is a story I could find about it:
http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympi...he-olympic-and-paralympic-medals_37834eL.html

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for your kind words, i love to skate. I'll be sure to check up on your link.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Just curious...what do you mean that it is too politically correct?

Just about everything linked to our Olympics is designed by or has something to do with Native (aboriginal) art, including these medals. They are designed by two aboriginal artists. Probably this is what is meant by "politically correct."

i love to skate

Medalist
Just about everything linked to our Olympics is designed by or has something to do with Native (aboriginal) art, including these medals. They are designed by two aboriginal artists. Probably this is what is meant by "politically correct."

From the atrocious way Native people have been treated over the decades by governments I see no problem in celebrating their history. Their culture and artwork deserves recognition and I think it is wonderful it is being used.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I love the design?!? But then again, I also enjoy watching Joubert skate.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
From the atrocious way Native people have been treated over the decades by governments I see no problem in celebrating their history. Their culture and artwork deserves recognition and I think it is wonderful it is being used.

Well, that is one way to look at it...however, British Columbia and Canada for that matter was largely settled by Scots, Irish, British and of course the French, where is our mention at the Games? - Just a thought...

i love to skate

Medalist
Well, that is one way to look at it...however, British Columbia and Canada for that matter was largely settled by Scots, Irish, British and of course the French, where is our mention at the Games? - Just a thought...

The Games are going to be Bilingual so I think that is a great statement about our history. The European aspects are found in things such as the building designs and how the medals are made. There will also be all sorts of culture on display during the Cultural Olympiad that will represent our large multicultural society. There have been so many games which have displayed the European culture so I think it is neat to have a Games that focuses on the Aboriginal culture. I find it unique.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I am just a stupid European, but isn't your culture everywhere? Or is the city of Vancouver built in the style of the Native People? Aren't the major languages in your country English and French, aren't most people in your country Christian? Aren't you using the Latin alphabet everywhere?

Canada's history with it's Native People is a lot less violent than the US counterpart, but there were still assimilation programs, with the intention to assimilate the Native people into the "European" culture.

So I get why officials would like to celebrate the ancient history of the continent..