Mens Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mens Short Program

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Hsuhs - it's fine that you don't like the program (and many Morozov haters will agree with you)

Yeah, I see, we've reached the haters phase. It just occured to me.... did you actually watch the competition?

Okami

On the Ice
He said he is not completely comfortable with his program at this point, but I prefer Slutskaya's rendition. Nonetheless, based on his skating skills, he does deserve higher pcs.

According to yesterday's interview, Oda considers his SP to be only about 60% ready. (LP - 70%). I think it'll get better with time. :)

And I agree with you, Ponsero has great potential and his basics are fabulous (yes, especially after watching Alban. Who is cute in his own way, though...). Shame about his consistency. :(

Hsuhs - I don't know what problem do you have with me. I did not direct the word "hater" at you - just at the same few people who go out of their way to harp on every Morozov skater and wonder if they slept with him yet. :p It's not an insult, they refer to themselves by such a term. :)
And yes, I watched the competition. :)

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I was talking more about the performance - skating skills, speed, etc.

Right. I think that people far too often think of the PCS as being equivalent to the "Presentation" score in the 6.0 era. We really need to remember that a good number of the components aren't based on how "likeable" a performance was, but, rather, relatively more objective measures of ease of crossovers (skating skills) and the complexity of footwork between elements (transitions).

... and Hsuhs, Okami wasn't calling you a "hater"; he was lending credence to your argument by acknowledging that there is probably a sizable contingent that would agree with you. Please stop making this degenerate into a cat-fight by picking over word choice; let's keep this space one conducive to friendly disagreements. Thanks.

EDIT: Okami, I'm glad we both picked up on the "hater" comment. :)

coconutpunch

Rinkside
I enjoyed the top 3 + Yannick; I was pleasantly surprised (and pleased!) that Adam went for his tano lutz, since it was such a great element in his EXs this year.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
And yes, I watched the competition. :)
Ah, OK. For a sec I thought you didn't. My wrong.

Anyways, congrats to Tomas, Nobunari and Adam! :thumbsup: :clap: And to the rest of the guys, of course. Looking forward to tomorrow's free skate.

Please stop making this degenerate into a cat-fight by picking over word choice; let's keep this space one conducive to friendly disagreements. Thanks.

SerpentineSteps, I'll do my best. Promise. Thank you for your thoughtful and polite remark.

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I enjoyed the top 3 + Yannick; I was pleasantly surprised (and pleased!) that Adam went for his tano lutz, since it was such a great element in his EXs this year.

I know! Everyon's doing Tano jumps this year... did Mao restart the trend, or have I just not beeing paying as much attention before?

Okami

On the Ice
Thank you, SerpentineSteps. Yes, you put it in much better words than me. I'm in a bit of a rush because I have to go out in a second (and English is not my first language) so I might have trouble expressing myself clearly. Sorry for that! :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Right. I think that people far too often think of the PCS as being equivalent to the "Presentation" score in the 6.0 era. We really need to remember that a good number of the components aren't based on how "likeable" a performance was, but, rather, relatively more objective measures of ease of crossovers (skating skills) and the complexity of footwork between elements (transitions).

So was it fair that Brian got the second best PCS? I haven't seen any comments about his skating except that his jumps were no good.

What do you mean by "tano lutz"?

I want to watch these programmes :banging:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
So was it fair that Brian got the second best PCS?
It depends. I think it was. He's been skating to this music for the past 3(?) years, so he knows it well. At least, he wasn't sleep-inducing, like.... others. But it wasn't his top game.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
So was it fair that Brian got the second best PCS? I haven't seen any comments about his skating except that his jumps were no good.

What do you mean by "tano lutz"?

I want to watch these programmes :banging:

I think Brian got a sizable "Oh, poor thing, his jumps aren't on. But he's a former World Champ. I know, let's give him a bit of a PCS boost!" bonus. I do think that his PCS should be *relatively* high though (and, again, this confirms that being later in the starting orders helps).

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_figure_skating_terms):
'Tano jumpA jump arm position variation made famous by Brian Boitano (hence 'Tano) where one arm is extended overhead instead of folded at the chest during a jump. This increases the difficulty of a jump.

... apparently you're supposed to have an apostrophe before the "T"... who would have known.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know! Everyon's doing Tano jumps this year... did Mao restart the trend, or have I just not beeing paying as much attention before?

No, Irina Slutskaya and Stephen Carriere, just to name a couple, were doing 'tano jumps before I saw Mao do them.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks fot the ´tano explanation. I remember Slutskaya also doing that.

Okami

On the Ice
Nobunari's SP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXqstZNMqy8
The quality's even worse than my web stream, so it's an option only for truly desperate.

musesk8r said:
No, Irina Slutskaya and Stephen Carriere, just to name a couple, were doing 'tano jumps before I saw Mao do them.

Not to mention Brian Boitano himself... But, really, after Mao started doing it, suddenly much more 'Tanos variations started being used. Caroline Zhang, Adam, YuNa, Denis Ten... I'm sure I've seen a few more this season.

OK, time to concentrate on pairs! :yes:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gotta love Tomas! He's so honest with himself and I also love his sense of humor.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091016&content_id=7469424&vkey=ice_news

Verner opened with a quad toe-triple toe combination worth 14.8 points, followed by a triple Axel and triple Lutz. He gained the highest program component score of the day and the second-highest technical tally.

"I was pleased with my jumps," he said. "I didn't like that I got a Level 1 on my combination spin and Level 1 on my sit spin, so I will have to review what happened and work on it for my free skate.

"Also, I hope my choreographer Lori Nichol didn't watch today, because I can do a lot better with the steps and the emotion. It's my first big competition after a long break and I was a little nervous."

seniorita

Record Breaker
I liked Tomas-along with Oda they were great- but his costume distracts me from music and choreo cause it is out of place..

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I liked Tomas-along with Oda they were great- but his costume distracts me from music and choreo cause it is out of place..

Do you mean Tomas' costume? I fantasized it like a greek sailor dancing zorba in the harbour :)

Or Oda's? Did he have a skeleton on front of a black costume?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Tomas' costume is perfect. It is playful and sexy (in a gentleman kind of way) - exactly the kind of image he is best at projecting.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Do you mean Tomas' costume? I fantasized it like a greek sailor dancing zorba in the harbour :)

I really didnt see it that way but maybe you are right:yes:, I didnt see him as someone who dances to the music, I had the image that he was supposed to impersonate Zorba personality himself and the history behind this music and the costume looked like a navy thing out of place..Now i got the image;)
I just dont like zorba in skating:rolleye:
I dont remember Oda's costume in details, was it the black Halloween thing?I didnt mind, his program was fresh and fast, I loved it, looking forward to see them all tommorow!
I have a feeling Jouby may change his sp..