Original dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Original dance

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Pechalat Bourzat 56.34
Thank God I'm a Country Boy Dolly Parton, Roy something or other plus a country waltz
He in red shirt and desert camo chaps over jeans.
She has gold hula skirt and camisole top in brown with gold edging. Really cool cowboy boots
Nice edging during the slow part
Good clogging during the fast part
Assisted Back flip over Fabian's back to end

Are they repeating that closing move from T&D's 1983 Barnum FD again? I thought they only did it last year, as a sort of tribute, to end their circus themed FD. It's good to see 26 year old T&D original moves being recycled! ;)

THANK YOU for another superlative live report Doris. :agree:
Much obliged from us TV starved icedance fans in blighty. :clap:

i love to skate

Medalist
But it just seems that the olympics are going to be one great big hoe down, in an effort to endear themselves to the Canadian crowd. Besides Folk was the original dance two years ago, I am all folked out....what's is wrong with the Swing Combo, that is great number to do in an olympic. Fast, Exciting, and gets the crowd involved.

I don't know why people would think that country music would endear them to a Canadian crowd. It's not like Vancouver is Calgary. I found these country songs to be extremely annoying and for the most part the programs were immature and unrefined!

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I don't know why people would think that country music would endear them to a Canadian crowd. It's not like Vancouver is Calgary. I found these country songs to be extremely annoying and for the most part the programs were immature and unrefined!

I am sorry that you did not get the edited version of my post, but your exactly right, I cannot stand any of these country music hoe-down type numbers. I have no idea what brought about this philosophy but PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!

HOE DOWN (does not) = ICE DANCING (JUST WRONG)

I personally was disappointed when I heard that the Kerrs were not going to use this opportunity to skate to traditional Scotish music.

Final Flight
with several programs using music from the western americas or country...and then here comes virtue and moir with a polished look performing a flamenco-ESQUE program...yeah there will be contrast.

i love flamenco programs but i feel it needs more flamenco- the feet. stomping. clapping. but still a really good OD. i agree with the person stating that the lift was out of character....correct not a very elegant position with the skirt covering everything but her legs. nice interesting entry...just not for flamenco. i wonder what score/level those twizzles got....61.91....

i wish i could see the other teams especially P/B.

FREE DANCE!

herios

Medalist
FSU from those who attended the practice sessions. Apparently they were imprecise and stiff during the CD/OD practises.

I always take what I am reading on these boards with grain and salt, too many folks have their own favourites and are subjective, therefore believe when I see it. V/M look very well prepared.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Just for the record, the FSU posters giving practice reports were saying that all the dancers looked tight and imprecise in practice...they weren't picking on V/M.

Happily, V/M did just fine in both the CD and OD although I have seen them skate more relaxed in the past. Course their flamenco is an intense dance as it should be. They looked great!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For those interested, Universal Sports aired the last flight of the ice dance with the ladies short program. Gorskova/Butikov, Samuelson/Bates, Pechalat/Bourzat, Kerr/Kerr, and Virtue/Moir were shown. Through the week, there will likely be repeats of the program, so dance fans might want to tune in.

maharbaforwards

Rinkside
Quite happy with V/M's program. Yes, not the most original concept (vs. D/W's East Indian or D/S Australian Aboriginal concepts) but I'm glad they chose something they felt comfortable with. Obviously, still a fair bit of kinks especially from Tessa. Aside from the aforementioned twizzle problem, I also felt she was trying to hard to capture the whole flamenco feel a little to much that it impeded the dance a tad. Playing with the skirt, trying to look impassioned complete with the choreography seemed to be too tall of a task at this point in time. I think it will definitely get better with time, and overall it was quite a good effort. This dance really showed to me though that Scott Moir is one of the best male ice dancers around, and it really showed in this dance. He showed nice expression, and I thought he was able to shine quite a bit in the foot work sections in particular. I don't think anyone can top A/P for a really well-done flamenco, but that was a different era. Sure, it was true to the dance and had excellent expression but that SBS step sequence wasn't particular hard and V/M have to balance the tough technical requirements with character of the dance and I think they did an admirable, and applaudable :clap: job

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I don't think anyone can top A/P for a really well-done flamenco, but that was a different era.

Personally I loved P&B's Flamenco for the debut Folk OD season in 07/08.

Nicky Slater said it was the best OD at Europeans that year, and I agree it was grossly underscored. I didn't even notice the tech requirements - it was a seamless flow of fantastic movement, characterisation and choreography. :cool:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

:bow: Thanks so much. Did you manage to capture any other performances you could possibly upload please?

i agree with the person stating that the lift was out of character....correct not a very elegant position with the skirt covering everything but her legs. nice interesting entry...just not for flamenco.

Wow at that amazing entry!! :love: I really liked the whole lift, it fitted in with the flourish of the drums at that point of the music.

Though I do wish there were less required elements so we could see the real essence and flair of this couple in creating their own moves and choreography as they would want.

i love to skate

Medalist
Thank you so much!!

Oh figure skating, once again you are all too distracting...Chem hw will have to wait even more now...lol.

My thoughts exactly. I have gotten zeo work done for the past two days and with all these youtube videos it is just going to delay it more! haha.