Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

Nadine

Record Breaker
Award Ceremonies going on now! :)

Congrats to all the medalists in all the disciplines. :love:

Final Flight
V/M: such great opening choreography. musicality.....grace....romance....that is marred by the most horrendous, pantie showing, awkward combo lift.
amazing footwork, flow, edge work. i love it.
and out comes their cool hands free lift which is totally out of context. i think the second deduction is for the 1.5 rotations that tessa did. isnt there a rule in ice dance that ONE person in a team can perform a single jump of any sort....and she two-footed that inside-edge scott moir take off. :rofl:

the 2nd rotational lift is the only lift that worked. climaxed to the music. drama. dynamic. but again cute panties tessa...

awkward ending.

can't wait to die watching this in vancouver...:agree:

P/B: weird. but for some reason the theme of time really adds a sense of drama. their footwork improved. or maybe just their style just changed. lifts were a bit hectic. the motif of ticking is absolute genius in choreography. it just completes the whole essense of time and life. reverse straight line lift with kicking legs to the ticks...<3 their transitions are a bit awkward like in the twizzles....might be because of the way the music is mixed. something more sleek and refined for costumes would be a smarter choice. definately will see improvement.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
i think the second deduction is for the 1.5 rotations that tessa did. isnt there a rule in ice dance that ONE person in a team can perform a single jump of any sort....and she two-footed that inside-edge scott moir take off. :rofl:

Nope, the deductions came from an extended lift - the first lift they did.

Final Flight
K/K FD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQALB5sh4I0

love this program. modernity with restraint. musical placemetn of each element is what they do best. the straight line lift entry is very interesting. footwork can use some refining in edgework and posture. but like last season's ruled by secrecy....im in love.

amateur

Final Flight
I'm really very impressed with P/B's FD. This will demand power and precision from them if they are to fully realize it - I hope they get there!

herios

Medalist
OMG, I absoultely loved P and B's FD....that was so much more dynamic than V/M's....

very tough program and very well skated and refined so early in the season. With this one can certainly make a move upwards. Working with Zhulin starts to pay off.

cornell08

Final Flight
Finally saw V/M's performance.....a thing of beauty. :love:

Last season my favorite FD was D/W's (followed by V/M's Great Gig not far behind), but this season thus far it is definitely V/M's though for similar reasons. Lyrical, well interpreted, not-over acted, impressive technique made to look easy, amazing music choice. Everything thats lacking in D/W's phantom piece.

Last edited:

katha

On the Ice
My, V/M were sleek...and that early in the season, too! Was very skeptical when they announced their FD music, as Umbrellas was in the same vein but IMO horribly bland. This was minimalistic and sophisticated, their style is a bit too lovey-dovey for me in general but they really owned it here. Great costumes as well. But Zueva is not kidding when she says they remind her of Gordeeva/Grinkov, is she? :biggrin: Both the Mahler piece and the Flamenco she used for G/G/Katia as well...

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks to Doris for the live reports. :rock:

Very interested to read 1795's reviews of the Top 3 too. :agree:

P/B: weird. but for some reason the theme of time really adds a sense of drama. their footwork improved. or maybe just their style just changed. lifts were a bit hectic. the motif of ticking is absolute genius in choreography. it just completes the whole essense of time and life.

Not an original theme though - have you seen this?
"Time Goes Millenium" - Winkler & Lohse's FD from 2000 Worlds. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQW7T7EdELE

I don't think V&M - or any future dancers/choreographers - need to honor how Mahler's piece was employed for a film.

No, they don't, but Mahler's music is essentially serious and melancholic, therefore Tessa's description of it as "colourful, it's really joyful" seems incongruous to me. The choreography is absolutely stunning, and they skated it beautifully, but only Scott's expression was pitched correctly to match the tone of the piece. It felt strange to watch Tessa smiling at the beginning. The facial expressions should interpret the depth of this serious classical symphony throughout. Umbrellas of Cherbourg-light-frothy-romantic-young-love (which I adored) it isn't . This is a far more mature piece of music and style of routine, and both their performances should match it. I hope they do. It will then be a masterpiece.

Last edited: