Mens Long Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mens Long Program

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Judging from the protocols and his layout today, a perfect Joubert would be aiming for:

4T+3T 13,800
4S 10,300
3A 8,200
FSSp3 2,600
4T 9,800
3Lz 6,600x
3Lo+3T 9,900x
CiSt3 3,300
3S 4,950x
3F 6,050x
CCoSp1 2,000
SlSt2 2,300
CSSp3 2,600

BaseValue 82,400

How reasonable is that???

That's a 3 quads LP. Happened 2 seasons ago at CoR, I believe. And never again since then? Besides, when was the last time Brian had a clean free?

oxade21

Match Penalty
The new Joubert LP is actually interesting. Too bad about those mistakes. I personally do not see him medalling in Vancouver.

enlight78

Medalist
I fear it was Worlds 2008.

Like Schiele said, the pressure he subjects himself to is way to high. I can understand him wanting to be in absolute control and maybe he wants to prove he can pull it off but.

He could aim at an easier layout of elements that would score almost as good if properly constructed. 4S gives him so much trouble and the risks outweigh the benefits by far.

I think we should pool some money and buy him a calculator since I honestly believe there is noone on his team who does the math.

if joubert skates clean all he need is his quad triple in the short and a quad in the long; but I believe joubert does feel the need to be in absolute control and have a safety net because he tend to make lot of mistakes but maybe if he lower his difficulty he wouldn't make these mistakes. Maybe he should try one competitions with just on quad and see how it feels

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I fear it was Worlds 2008.

Like Schiele said, the pressure he subjects himself to is way to high. I can understand him wanting to be in absolute control and maybe he wants to prove he can pull it off but.

He could aim at an easier layout of elements that would score almost as good if properly constructed. 4S gives him so much trouble and the risks outweigh the benefits by far.

I think we should pool some money and buy him a calculator since I honestly believe there is noone on his team who does the math.

I had to check the protocols.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2008/WC08_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

It's what I'd call a semi-clean program, given that yes, Brian didn't have falls, but still managed to have 2 'e' calls on his flips (yes, a calculator seems a great idea in that regard), and only had a total of 2 combo's, one of which was a modest 2A+1T.

He's been looking tired and as if he hasn't slept for days recently, imo. Could it be a burnout?

evangeline

Record Breaker
Or it could be stresses caused by the whole coaching kerfluffle this summer. Not the best way to spend a summer before an Olympic season.

enlight78

Medalist
All the French skaters seem to be inconsistant now; and Armodia skates next week; I think joubert will be ok; he doesn't want to peak right now anyway;

Medusa

Record Breaker
Has Joubert ever landed the 4S outside of the Cup or Russia 2006? I am really starting to doubt that he should try it. Because that attempt in 2006 was landed, but would have been downgraded for sure these days. Aiming at two Quad Toeloops seems to be the better approach.

Which is what Tomas is doing, right? He had a solo Triple Toeloop in his free, so I guess he will ultimately try two Quads.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Just to say Oda is a potential new king:rock:I was shocked, he is just amazing live!Really fast and his program is so well designed from begining to last second! And he is adorable!:biggrin:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Wow!!! Oda is just so amazing.
I wonder what will happen when he hits his quad-triple combo! :clap:

Then he'll forget counting the jumping passes.;)

Congratulations to the three winners! I felt bad for Joubert. What happened to him? Please tell me this is normal for him to make mess in the early seasons, and he will pull them off later.

Oda won? Cool! Between him and Takahashi, Japanese men's skating is looking pretty impressive right now. My fingers are crossed for Takahashi to be at the top of his game after the long layoff. Both those guys are such elegant skaters, with the ideal mix of technique and artistry. I feel bad for Joubert, though.

It's so great that there are people on this forum who are able to watch these events and then give such meticulous reports back to the rest of us. It makes a big difference to get such a rich trove of information practically as it happens. American TV is wall-to-wall football these days, and tonight one major network featured auto racing after an hours-long football game. And there's nothing in the local newspapers. If I couldn't read all of your TEB accounts (and look forward to watching YouTube), I'd have smoke coming out of my ears right now.

schiele

Final Flight
I have to admit that Oda was great live, much faster than on tv. Tomas on the other hand was actually quite slow but he can sell any programme. during the photo shoot on the ice after the medals, he managed to get us all laughing by his silly moves to the music. Hes a great character. Btw he seems to have lost some weight.
Im so looking forward to the gala today.

seniorita

Record Breaker
No it wasnt Joubys weekend but his program is nice and suits him, music helps a lot and live he is really good to watch. He looked too disapointed afterwards. But when Joubert peaks?Last year he was fantastic at CoR, but at Euros although he won, it was not like he peaked there and then Worlds...Verner looks very elegant and godfather was a nice program, second favorite of the day:p

schiele

Final Flight
No it wasnt Joubys weekend but his program is nice and suits him, music helps a lot and live he is really good to watch. He looked too disapointed afterwards. But when Joubert peaks?Last year he was fantastic at CoR, but at Euros although he won, it was not like he peaked there and then Worlds...Verner looks very elegant and godfather was a nice program, second favorite of the day:p

I dont think he peaked at all last season and seemed lost all the wsy thru. I feel this might have done significant damage to his self- belief. Seeing him sobbing and totally down in kiss and cry after his LP.... just so :(:(:(
I think the new ypunger guys are mostly great but I really want to see a more seasoned OGM, someone who fought hard and long for it.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Nobu's program is fabulous! Much better than the last year's LP and really suits his personality. His jumps were really solid and great:clap: I love this program!

Tomas was slow in the last half and the spin was not good, but his jumps were great, especially 4-3. During the Nobu's interview, Tomas came to Nobu and celebrated him saying "Good Job!". I love his personality.

Brian, what is the concept of this LP? His costume reminds me Japanese Ninja.I hope his strong comeback at NHK.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Haha Nobu looks so cute and adorable! I love it. He looks much younger than his age. haha. Cute. I love it. Especially the choreo in which he makes a circle with his fingers. haha. Did Morosov think of it??? It looks as though it was done by Wilson.

jennylovskt

Medalist
American TV is wall-to-wall football these days, and tonight one major network featured auto racing after an hours-long football game. And there's nothing in the local newspapers. If I couldn't read all of your TEB accounts (and look forward to watching YouTube), I'd have smoke coming out of my ears right now.

NBC.com listed this:

Sunday,
Oct. 18 1 - 3 p.m(ET). ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating-France Andrea Joyce, Scott Hamilton NBC

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Nobu was superb. I have not enjoyed a program so much since I don't know when. The music is perfect, the choreography was genius (I have new respect for Morozov) the jumps are out of this world. The fact that he can add a quad triple to that should leave all the other men shaking in their boots.

I really liked Joubert's program. The choreography was actually existent, the music and the costume worked....I really like this and the fact that he tried the second quad. I hope he just lands everything once in a while.

I didn't really get Rippon's freeskate, the chreo didn't quite match the music and the last few seconds had too many shades of Lyra Angelica for a guy's program but what a difference from last year. The skating world will be beating a path to Brian Orser's door (where has this guy been all these years?) He should have been coaching since 1988 if these are the results he can produce.

I am getting quite frustrated with Tomas. He does the same thing every time, great Short and then just acts like he doesn't care in the freeskate with all those doubles and sloppiness at the end.

schiele

Final Flight
Great analysis about men's skate Tinymavy. I agree with you 100%, a rarity in my case. :)