Pairs Free Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

evangeline

Record Breaker
Can we please not make this a discussion/bash of S/P? My god that is eight years ago. Let it go people!

Why not? Why can't there be discussion comparing two teams when a team uses a piece of music that is famously associated with another? There was plenty of discussion comparing K/S's snoozer version of Love Story to S/P's (IMO, superior) version.

It's like if a dance team tries to skate to Bolero, or a male singles skater chooses Winter for his music. Comparisons, favourable or unfavourable, are inevitable.

life684

Final Flight
S/S were majorly gifted. 101 points for that absolute trainwreck????

S/S is a wonderful pair. But that PCS was overly generous scoring, they had so many pauses during the program after the attempted death spiral. 57 pts is ame as that of D/D and just 4 points shy of M/T clean program. this is when S/S had 5 noticeable major errors.

Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
What is this all about? Did she dump him?

Jess and Bryce broke up before Worlds 2008 -- she's been dating Scott Moir for a while now. Apparently it caused a few friendship issues between the guys at the time, but I think they're all okay now.

-kypma

herios

Medalist
Jess and Bryce broke up before Worlds 2008 -- she's been dating Scott Moir for a while now. Apparently it caused a few friendship issues between the guys at the time, but I think they're all okay now.

-kypma

Thanks, that was a long time ago, he shouuld've gotten over it by now.

cornell08

Final Flight
M/T's costumes (and low-risk choreo) were awful! I'm sorry, but it literally distracted from my enjoyment of the program. Their technique and elements were wonderful-- so why ruin it with bland choreography and dress that shows complete ignorance of the story?! IMO every skater needs to go behind the music to truly understand the background/history to truly do justice to interpretation (many coaches require this)-- even if they make it their own. The silk pink grey white getups do NOT go with Love Story (especially her horrid white tights-- made her look like a 7 year old!). Perhaps they should read the story first and then ask D/D for costume recommendations (they had the perfect look and choreography for The Way We Were)...Erich Segal must be cringing right now.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
M/T's costumes (and low-risk choreo) were awful! I'm sorry, but it literally distracted from my enjoyment of the program. Their technique and elements were wonderful-- so why ruin it with bland choreography and dress that shows complete ignorance of the story?! IMO every skater needs to go behind the music to truly understand the background/history to truly do justice to interpretation (many coaches require this)-- even if they make it their own. The silk pink grey white getups do NOT go with Love Story (especially her horrid white tights-- made her look like a 7 year old!). Perhaps they should read the story first and then ask D/D for costume recommendations (they had the perfect look and choreography for The Way We Were)...Erich Segal must be cringing right now.

I so agree! I have no idea what was up with the white tights - she looked like she was in a beginner ballet class! I read in an interview that they picked Love Story because they wanted to appeal to the Canadian audience. I really don't think this number is going to draw in the majority of the Canadian audience. It's one thing to skate along to the music but skating to the music and within the music is a whole other scenerio. D/D blew them away in this department, IMO.

On the note of S/S I cannot believe they received that score for that program, just ridiculous. It doesn't seem like a program that is suitable for the Olympics. I thought the music was awful and the costumes were horrendous. Why do they always dress like trainwrecks??

evangeline

Record Breaker

Mukhortova/Trankov's costumes are pretty awful but I think the most awful Love Story costumes were the ones used by Kawaguchi/Smirnov--didn't Smirnov wear a shirt with Yuko's face on it or something?

I agree that the choreography was low-risk, but I don't think it showed complete ignorance of the story. It was some lovey-dovey choreography to some lovey-dovey music--come on, there's not THAT much of a background/history to Love Story. Just because they didn't literally act out the scenes of the movie doesn't mean they were completely ignorant about the music.

oleada

Record Breaker
I read that they chose the music because Maria has always wanted to skate to it, not because the Olympics are in Canada (not saying that didn't influence the choice, but that's what I heard).

lmarie086

Medalist
I read that they chose the music because Maria has always wanted to skate to it, not because the Olympics are in Canada (not saying that didn't influence the choice, but that's what I heard).

I read that as well, and also that they had originally wanted to use it last year but didn't because K/S had already announced that they were using it. Or maybe I made that up in my head...lol.

Anyway I think it's a good program for them. I'd like to see more connection between them, but it's early yet. It's already a vast improvement over last season's LP.

S/S...I hope just go back to Schindler's List. I think that was a magical program and it just seems right for an Olympic season. Their current LP...doesn't. IMO.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Why to the russains associate Love Story with white ballet tights and pale pink? The other russian team didi the same thing two years ago. They skated pretty perfectly, but I still don't see any chemistry from them and nothing significant in the choreography.

I really thought that Dube and Davidson hit a homerun with that LP. The chemistry was right on and it reminded me of Sale and Pellieter at times.

Inoue and Baldwin impressed me. really nice program and those throws! Wow. Nice to see them actually going for the triple twist. It wasn't bad in the freeskate.

i love to skate

Medalist

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=17557.html

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091017&content_id=7479626&vkey=ice_news

Here's the two articles I read which mentions wanting to infuence the Canadian audience (as well as Maria wanting to skate to it) :)

oleada

Record Breaker
Ah, thanks. Anyway, I don't think Sale/Pelletier own the music at all, so they can skate to it if they want. The bigger problem, imo, is the spare choreography and their lack of connection.

I like Maxim's outfit but not Maria's. In any case, I'm so happy they skated clean. :rock:

As for D/D, I generally find them pretty dull, and "The Way We Were". was no exception. It was well skated for this point in the season, but it was pretty one note and boring. I liked M/T's program better.

Last edited:

vmfan89

Rinkside
Love Story

I agree that Salé/Pelletier don`t own the music. Their Love Story was one of my favorite programs of all time, but I don`t constantly compare their program to whoever uses Love Story. Skaters are free to use whatever they like. The same thing happened last year when Yu-Na used Scherezade, some people accused her of copying Michelle. I don`t think it`s copying at all, I think she just liked the music. As for M/T, I heard that Maria really likes this music, and that she has been wanting to skate to it for some time now, so I couldn`t think of a reason why they wouldn`t use it. Although the program isn`t perfect yet, and has room to grow, I liked it a lot. I like it more than K/S Love Story a few years back. Can`t wait to see it in Vancouver.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
S&S are the most overrated pair. How many clean long programs have they done in their entire career so far?

That was a disaster. They really should have just give up and gotten off the ice, because after the fall they obviously did not know what to do. She could have gotten very injured.

The fact that they medaled is a joke. I know they had a big lead after the SP, but not THAT big.

oleada

Record Breaker
I think the freak fall rattled them so much that they messed up the rest of their skate. It's a bit unusual for them (see: Worlds LP, where Robin fell in the footwork but you forgot by the end because it was so good).

I only hope that they go back to Schindler's List which was a much better program.

i love to skate

Medalist
that's not the attitude that makes a champion.

I agree but they should still have been able to pull themselves back together. I have never seen a team get so rattled after a simple fall. They were totally lost and had absolutely no idea what to do. It was actually quite dangerous to continue skating like that.

vmfan89

Rinkside
What particularly threw me off is that she seemed really mad at him after the program. Agreed that some things might have been his fault, but not all of it was. She made mistakes too. I just think to go off on your partner like that in front of everyone in very unprofessional and unchampion like. Maybe that's not what happened, but it looked that way to me. Your thoughts?

i love to skate

Medalist
What particularly threw me off is that she seemed really mad at him after the program. Agreed that some things might have been his fault, but not all of it was. She made mistakes too. I just think to go off on your partner like that in front of everyone in very unprofessional and unchampion like. Maybe that's not what happened, but it looked that way to me. Your thoughts?

It looked to me like it was mostly disbelief and shock. I'm not a huge fan of this team as I find them usually sloppy and inconsistent and I much prefer the clean lines, deep edges, and emotion from pairs such as D/D...but that's just my personal preference.