U.S. ladies’ prospects? | Golden Skate

U.S. ladies’ prospects?

Rachael Flatt :love: Our most reliable athlete, she can be counted on to put out a 175 point competition every time out. That’s about 20 points shy of the Olympic podium. :cry:

Alissa Czisny :love: You know how people say, which skater will show up, the good one or her evil twin? With Alissa you have to ask that separately on each jump.

(Wait, wait! I am not saying that Alissa’s lovely and talented twin sister Amber :love: is evil…)

Caroline Zhang. :love: I don’t have anything to add that hasn’t already been said in the 75-page, 1116-post, 67,673-view thread that we already have going. ;)

Ashley Wagner. :love: We haven’t seen her yet this season. Could be a dark horse?

Mirai Nagasu :love: She could be the one. She had her sophomore slump last season and could come out loaded for bear. :yes:

Sasha Cohen? :love: I really do not expect her to compete this year. Skate America should tell the story.

The field. :love: Will anyone else make a statement in the Grand Prix or U.S. Nationals?

After seeing the top international lady :love: rattle off 210 points at Eric Bompard, the only advice I can give our hopefuls is just to keep your eyes on the prize – making the U.S. Olympic team. Once there, represent! Anything can happen. Ask Sarah Hughes. :love:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sorry to be so dim..but WHAT prospects? :unsure:

:disapp:

Anyway, that said, let's go:

Rachael Flatt Our most reliable athlete, she can be counted on to put out a 175 point competition every time out. That’s about 20 points shy of the Olympic podium.

Yeah.

Alissa Czisny You know how people say, which skater will show up, the good one or her evil twin? With Alissa you have to ask that separately on each jump.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Caroline Zhang. I don’t have anything to add that hasn’t already been said in the 75-page, 1116-post, 67,673-view thread that we already have going.

She REALLY needs to fix her technique to be competitive with the top crop. She can reel them off like there's no tomorrow and barely crack 100 points [in the free]. That won't cut it.

Ashley Wagner. We haven’t seen her yet this season. Could be a dark horse?

With Kimmie out, my eye's on this girl. Let's see what she can do. One of my favorite skaters to follow on Twitter- and she has even responded to my messages. :love:

Mirai Nagasu She could be the one. She had her sophomore slump last season and could come out loaded for bear.

I hope she can bounce back after the season she had last year. She's such a fighter and it was apparent during last year's National FS.

Sasha Cohen? I really do not expect her to compete this year. Skate America should tell the story.

Sasha WHO?

The field. Will anyone else make a statement in the Grand Prix or U.S. Nationals?

This Alexe Gilles, who was at TEB, wasn't bad.Never heard of her before. She might be one to watch in the future.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't know about 175 points being 20 points away. Sure she will never catch Yu-na, but who will? If Yu-na scores 200, then second a third will probably be with in 175-190 range.

cornell08

Final Flight
I think Ashley, Mirai and Alissa are our best prospects. Ashley especially, if she can land her jumps. I love her programs and I loved her performance at Moran. Mirai I'm a bit more hesitant about because although I think she has what it takes I'm not a huge fan of her programs this season. Alissa is breathtaking when she's on-- that said, is it better to have a skater who can consistently put out 175 or is it better to have a skater who would definitely make the podium if she skated clean (even if she rarely skates two clean programs)? Call me crazy, but my view is the latter. Even if Rachael skates her cleanest, she'll need others to make mistakes.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don't know about 175 points being 20 points away. Sure she will never catch Yu-na, but who will? If Yu-na scores 200, then second a third will probably be with in 175-190 range.

I'd be surprised if the medalists scored below 190, truth be told.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Rachael Flatt :love: Our most reliable athlete, she can be counted on to put out a 175 point competition every time out. That’s about 20 points shy of the Olympic podium. :cry:

Alissa Czisny :love: You know how people say, which skater will show up, the good one or her evil twin? With Alissa you have to ask that separately on each jump.

(Wait, wait! I am not saying that Alissa’s lovely and talented twin sister Amber :love: is evil…)

Caroline Zhang. :love: I don’t have anything to add that hasn’t already been said in the 75-page, 1116-post, 67,673-view thread that we already have going. ;)

Ashley Wagner. :love: We haven’t seen her yet this season. Could be a dark horse?

Mirai Nagasu :love: She could be the one. She had her sophomore slump last season and could come out loaded for bear. :yes:

Sasha Cohen? :love: I really do not expect her to compete this year. Skate America should tell the story.

The field. :love: Will anyone else make a statement in the Grand Prix or U.S. Nationals?

After seeing the top international lady :love: rattle off 210 points at Eric Bompard, the only advice I can give our hopefuls is just to keep your eyes on the prize – making the U.S. Olympic team. Once there, represent! Anything can happen. Ask Sarah Hughes. :love:

First thing's first, getting through the GP in one piece (& hopefully earning a medal of any color), and then skating lights out at Nationals in order to even qualify for the Olympics, of which ONLY TWO will do so. Let us not underestimate this great honor, how many skaters can say they've actually been to the Olympics, were good enough to make The Team. Not many. This is Olympic Pressure. May the best two win!

Here are my thoughts in reply to each skater you listed, Mathman:

Rachael Flatt ~ out of all the American Ladies, she's the toughest mentally, hands down. And straight from her mouth, she said she will be adding a 3/3 combo. in *both* the SP & LP. This should hold her in good stead. Still not too many women do 3/3s, especially in the SP! She's the best all-around skater of the American women, really needs to work on her spins though (not naturally gifted in this area like Zhang & Wagner & Czisny to name a few). Yet, she's got a great work ethic & a strong head on her shoulders. What I've seen of her SP I honestly love, brings out all her best qualities, namely her natural charm & charisma. :thumbsup: 5th in the world, ready to move on up, make her move. You only got one shot (to quote Eminem, lol).

Alissa Czisny ~ sorry I forgot her name the other week, mental lapse, but to be honest deep down inside I kinda hold her responsible for not doing well enough at 2009 Worlds in order to qualify three Americans to the Olympics. I'm pretty sure that is why I never remember her name (blocked it out). That said, when she's on she can be mesmerizing (ala her Swan SP). Gorgeous spins & spirals (similar to Zhang, their forte), but Alissa's not as mentally tough as either Rachael or Caroline. And I, personally, would not want to send her to the Olympics. Too big of a gamble, which she crashed & burned on several times already, it's not a one time thing, whereas the Olympics is a one time thing. ONLY once every 4 yrs., that's it, no second chances, no do-overs, no nothing, literally only one shot (to quote Eminem again, lol). STILL, if she blows everybody else away from now until Nationals, then she will have earned her right to be on the Olympic Team. No questions asked. Fair is fair.

Caroline Zhang ~ she blew me away today with her FS at TEB. She's simply exquisite (similar to Sasha Cohen), but she does have major issues with S-P-E-E-D & the technique on her jumps. If she can fix these, hang tough, and land all her planned jumps, then she belongs on the Team. It's up to her. My only worry is I don't know if there is enough time to increase her speed & improve her technique to a passable level. We shall see...

Ashley Wagner ~ ah, what to say, what to say. I've already said that I believe she's the one that should have won 2008 US Nationals. She has it all, spins, flexibility, power, good speed, jumps, et al, but her mental toughness is in question. One only need look at how she did in the SP at 2009 Nationals (though she did pull herself up in the FS to place 4th), and also she bombed at 2008 Worlds, and this year at Jr. Worlds she should've won, but placed 3rd. Are we going to see a new improved Ashley when it comes to mental toughness this year, or the one of old, that's the question. Mathman, you are right, she's the dark horse...

Mirai Nagasu ~ total question mark, I don't even know what to say, she's been injured in the past, how will she skate this season? Seriously. Until I see her skate at Cup of China I cannot say/add anything. Not even surmise...

Sasha Cohen ~ the most decorated of the pack, the one with the most potential IMHO. The senior lady if you will. Yet, she too is a question mark, as are so many other of the American Ladies. I have no idea what's going to happen...

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!:thumbsup:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think inconsistent skaters will suddenly get consistent (I'm referring to skaters like Wagner and Czisny). For these skaters, it's all about peaking at the right time.

Ask me again about these skaters in December. Kind of soon to say too much right now when we've only seen one in action (Zhang).

heyang

Record Breaker
I wouldn't write off anyone IMO. I don't think any of the likely US Ladies have any real shot at an Olympic medal in 2010, without a lot of help. However, we forget that sometimes being the underdog allows a skater to enjoy themselves and their perfomance while the favorites falter under the pressure (Sarah Hughes anyone?)

Also, a skater can have the performance of their lives at Oly's. Can Alyssa pull off a Paul Wylie and put out 2 amazing performances?

We'll just have to wait and see.

harmy18

Rinkside
Sasha Cohen ~ the most decorated of the pack, the one with the most potential IMHO. The senior lady if you will. Yet, she too is a question mark, as are so many other of the American Ladies. I have no idea what's going to happen...

The main point is whether she's ready or not? I was long for her return in TEB, but.... I would rather make comments on her after her show in SA...........

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This Alexe Gilles, who was at TEB, wasn't bad.Never heard of her before. She might be one to watch in the future.

you really need to explore skaters outside the top flight of senior ladies, Alexe didn't come out of nowhere any more than Mirai, Caroline, Rachel, and Ashley did.

R.D.

Record Breaker
you really need to explore skaters outside the top flight of senior ladies, Alexe didn't come out of nowhere any more than Mirai, Caroline, Rachel, and Ashley did.

I didn't say she came out of nowhere, just that I haven't really seen her skate before.

pista04

On the Ice
As for prospects, I think they look best at Worlds. Without the major contenders/medalists at Olys (since, historically, most who do extremely well won't go to Worlds except one or two) I feel like there's a decent shot to get our 3 spots back...that's kind of exciting! Haha. All my feelings in individual cases have already been said. =]

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
U.S. prospects

We need a skater who brings the audience in and makes the jumps second nature. That is a very hard quality to find. Christina Gao who is an up an coming skater and Olympic eligible has this quality. I don't think it would be completely fair to put this pressure on her to fast or too soon When puberty and pressure get combined we see that many skaters crumble. I have not seen the long programs of Zhang and Gilles from this weekend yet and we all have our national champion and Ashley Wagner to look forward to at Cup of Russia next week.:think: We shall see how they fair.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
First thing's first, getting through the GP in one piece (& hopefully earning a medal of any color), and then skating lights out at Nationals in order to even qualify for the Olympics, of which ONLY TWO will do so. Let us not underestimate this great honor, how many skaters can say they've actually been to the Olympics, were good enough to make The Team. Not many. This is Olympic Pressure. May the best two win!

Here are my thoughts in reply to each skater you listed, Mathman:

Rachael Flatt ~ out of all the American Ladies, she's the toughest mentally, hands down. And straight from her mouth, she said she will be adding a 3/3 combo. in *both* the SP & LP. This should hold her in good stead. Still not too many women do 3/3s, especially in the SP! She's the best all-around skater of the American women, really needs to work on her spins though (not naturally gifted in this area like Zhang & Wagner & Czisny to name a few). Yet, she's got a great work ethic & a strong head on her shoulders. What I've seen of her SP I honestly love, brings out all her best qualities, namely her natural charm & charisma. :thumbsup: 5th in the world, ready to move on up, make her move. You only got one shot (to quote Eminem, lol).

Alissa Czisny ~ sorry I forgot her name the other week, mental lapse, but to be honest deep down inside I kinda hold her responsible for not doing well enough at 2009 Worlds in order to qualify three Americans to the Olympics. I'm pretty sure that is why I never remember her name (blocked it out). That said, when she's on she can be mesmerizing (ala her Swan SP). Gorgeous spins & spirals (similar to Zhang, their forte), but Alissa's not as mentally tough as either Rachael or Caroline. And I, personally, would not want to send her to the Olympics. Too big of a gamble, which she crashed & burned on several times already, it's not a one time thing, whereas the Olympics is a one time thing. ONLY once every 4 yrs., that's it, no second chances, no do-overs, no nothing, literally only one shot (to quote Eminem again, lol). STILL, if she blows everybody else away from now until Nationals, then she will have earned her right to be on the Olympic Team. No questions asked. Fair is fair.

Caroline Zhang ~ she blew me away today with her FS at TEB. She's simply exquisite (similar to Sasha Cohen), but she does have major issues with S-P-E-E-D & the technique on her jumps. If she can fix these, hang tough, and land all her planned jumps, then she belongs on the Team. It's up to her. My only worry is I don't know if there is enough time to increase her speed & improve her technique to a passable level. We shall see...

Ashley Wagner ~ ah, what to say, what to say. I've already said that I believe she's the one that should have won 2008 US Nationals. She has it all, spins, flexibility, power, good speed, jumps, et al, but her mental toughness is in question. One only need look at how she did in the SP at 2009 Nationals (though she did pull herself up in the FS to place 4th), and also she bombed at 2008 Worlds, and this year at Jr. Worlds she should've won, but placed 3rd. Are we going to see a new improved Ashley when it comes to mental toughness this year, or the one of old, that's the question. Mathman, you are right, she's the dark horse...

Mirai Nagasu ~ total question mark, I don't even know what to say, she's been injured in the past, how will she skate this season? Seriously. Until I see her skate at Cup of China I cannot say/add anything. Not even surmise...

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!:thumbsup:

:agree: Entire post.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mirai and Flatt may have better jumps than others. Mirai had some problems last year but she had injuries. She fixed lutz and URs should be better dealt with by the newer rules.
Ashley may be the best package if she has fixed her flutz.
Caroline and Alissa--- Sorry I cannot trust their jumps very much.
Cohen--- She said that she could not do flip, loop, or lutz yet due to an injury. So I wonder if she can recover and get them back by SA. If not, withdrawal may be a better choice.

Jasper

Final Flight
How many women do we get to send? Is it only two?

I am pulling for Wagner, Zhang, and Cohen. Those are my favorites of the American women by far.

janetfan

Match Penalty

:

I can see your point about Mirai - but unlike Ashley, Caroline and Rachael,
Mirai has already won a US Ladies championship.

I am hoping for a breakout year from Mirai and looking at Yuna and Mao I see Mirai as the only US lady who seems to have anything close to their athletic ability. Mirai jumps higher and skates much faster than Rachael or Caroline and also can show some personality on the ice.

If Mirai can show consistency and fix up her jumps she has the spins, spirals and laybacks to compete with the best in the world.

It is still early and I haven't seen Ashley yet but I will pick Mirai and Rachael to make the Olympic team.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Ashley has two fabulous programs that grab your atttention right away. Lots of tension and changes in tempo. She also has a rocking triple flip triple toe . Spins are FAST . She is not a boring skater. I hope she has a great comp this week!

vlaurend

Final Flight
Alissa is breathtaking when she's on-- that said, is it better to have a skater who can consistently put out 175 or is it better to have a skater who would definitely make the podium if she skated clean (even if she rarely skates two clean programs)? Call me crazy, but my view is the latter. Even if Rachael skates her cleanest, she'll need others to make mistakes.

I actually agree with this. We need to send Rachael because she is consistent and reliable and can probably place 5th like she did at Worlds, but we also need to send someone who can actually medal if she skates clean. That would be Alissa.
However, if Mirai manages to make it through her GP events and U.S. Nationals without underrotation calls, I would opt to send Mirai instead. Although Mirai's choreography this season is disappointing compared to the past two seasons, she has great skating skills and has proven she can get high scores when her jumps aren't downgraded.

Penny

On the Ice
I attended Worlds in LA last year. It is so different seeing skaters live. I got both Rachael and Alyssa's autographs (while others were off chasing Yu-Na). Rachael is so pretty in real life--her skin and hair just glow--and her skating is more interesting to watch live, fast with good jumping ability, whereas Alyssa is so slow and her jumps so underrotated that her great spins and (slow) spiral cannot make up the difference.

I haven't totally given up on Caroline, since she is still so young, but after watching her (on TV) at the Paris grand prix, I have great doubts. SOMEONE WHO SKATES, please help me understand!!!!!!! Why can't she change the mule kick? Geez, just think about it and don't do it. I took piano lessons as a child and was pretty good, but gave it up for other things as an adult. I started piano lessons again a few years ago, with an excellent teacher who helped me change some bad technique that led to much better playing. So I know changing technique is possible.

Now, the other problem, the lack of speed. Again skaters, what is it? Is it lack of strong thigh muscles? Oh, I despair, she is so musical.